diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid house Solar system plan... how does this sound?

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
Ok. So I am planning out my solar system...

So far I have the following:

- MPP Solar LVX6048 (6.6 kw low frequency inverter, with 125a MPPT and plugin charger, 120v/240v)

- 40x Santan Solar 250w poly panels

-EP Ever 60a MPPT (actually have 3 of these)

- 16x 280 ah Eve Cells

- 16x 304 ah Eve cells

- 2x, 200a 16s BMS (JBD?)

I figured that I could run lights and "Primary" loads off the above listed inverter

I could put about 7000w worth of panels on the LVX 6048, and the rest on an EP Ever... this should give me some redundancy, while also allowing me some additional bulk charging ability

The above listed inverter will serve my needs unless its summer time... SO I figured I could add a few smaller inverter, 3000-5000w china high frequency, these could run mini splits and maybe other loads... basically, inverter "ZONES" However, I need a way to have a master shutoff... maybe a relay coming of the main inverter and disconnects when/if the main inverter shuts down? Any ideas for this?

Or would it just make more sense to add a second LVX6048? They are stackable... AND this would eliminate the need for the EP Ever 60 amp MPPT... additionally each non-paralleled inverter would need it's own (AC) line ran to the house... as well as a separate breaker box? that could get weird

All the gear will be located in a 5x7 shed... I plan to insulated it quite well, add some kind of air conditioner maybe a small inverter window unit? I think a 9000 btu mini split will be over sized for this shed

Finally I plan to add 1 or 2 more 16s batteries

Last edited:
I've looked through all of the MPP Solar LVX6048 online literature, and I see nothing to suggest that this is a low-frequency inverter. I'd suggest that for running anything that incorporates electrical motors, you are going to be disappointed.

I've looked through all of the MPP Solar LVX6048 online literature, and I see nothing to suggest that this is a low-frequency inverter. I'd suggest that for running anything that incorporates electrical motors, you are going to be disappointed.
I've had no issues with a TP6048 starting a 1hp deep well pump or a 1hp belt driven compressor charged to 80 psi.
SGP also stated in multiple cases that it is a LF inverter.
The flickering lights when the washer agitates is another story.

I have never seen it listed as a 6.6kw, only 6.

Edit and the idle consumption sucks.

No I won't... It is low frequency... I have seen the inside of this inverter... It's pretty easy to tell the difference between a high frequency inverter and a low frequency inverter... One of the dead giveaways is the intense weight of a low frequency inverter whereas a high frequency inverter weighs significantly less...

So I will not be disappointed...

I've had no issues with a TP6048 starting a 1hp deep well pump or a 1hp belt driven compressor charged to 80 psi.
SGP also stated in multiple cases that it is a LF inverter.
The flickering lights when the washer agitates is another story.

I have never seen it listed as a 6.6kw, only 6.

Edit and the idle consumption sucks.

Yeah my mistake on the 6.6 part... I suppose I can't remember all the specifications of a unit, especially if I'm not actively using it

As for the idle consumption... I would expect that, it is an all-in-one unit... So you have a SCC and all other parts as well as the inverter... Besides that... Low frequency inverters tend to have a relatively low power consumption at idle when compared to their high frequency brethren

No I won't... It is low frequency... I have seen the inside of this inverter... It's pretty easy to tell the difference between a high frequency inverter and a low frequency inverter... One of the dead giveaways is the intense weight of a low frequency inverter whereas a high frequency inverter weighs significantly less...
I haven't torn my two apart (hope I never have to), but I am pretty sure the LVX6048 is high frequency with a big transformer (the heavy part). I think the transformer gives you the feel of low frequency, but the internals of the unit are high frequency. Basically, like adding an external auto transformer to a high frequency inverter. The net result appears to be similar, but generally true LF inverters have a much higher surge load and run a lot cooler (and I can tell you the LVX6048 does not run anything close to cool). I am not aware of any true LF all in ones available today.

As for the idle consumption... I would expect that, it is an all-in-one unit... So you have a SCC and all other parts as well as the inverter... Besides that... Low frequency inverters tend to have a relatively low power consumption at idle when compared to their high frequency brethren
Idle so far has been about 120w, so 3kwh per day for each unit running 24/7. It's not an issue if you have a big battery and a lot of solar, but it is pretty high. I will be feeding mine with a 12kw solar array (still working on installing) and for now I have 30kwh in lifepo batteries.

Back