diy solar

diy solar

Off grid inverter recommendations that facilitate Solar input /Battery charging/Generator input

S64

Hi, If anyone has some recommendations for inverters that facilitate Solar input /Battery charging/Generator input please throw a link in below, I've been looking at some of Mpp Solars, stuff but they haven't gotten back to me on a few of the queries.

Cheers,
S

What is your off grid power requirement?

Last edited:
OK, next questions:

1: Do you need 240v split phase for a well pump or AirCon unit?
2: Do you have a budget in mind?

1. Sorry should have mentioned down under we use 240V @ 50Hz

2. kind of, I'm just trying to get options

1. Sorry should have mentioned down under we use 240V @ 50Hz

2. kind of, I'm just trying to get options
Well, and obvious choice for you would be an Outback Radian 8048. It is a hybrid inverter that accepts both grid and generator input, and can charge the batteries through either. Charging the batteries directly though would be with an Outback charge controller, which takes DC from the panels to feed the batteries, then the batteries feed DC currrent to the inverter to make the AC.

SMA Sunny Island, you can then pair it with ex-demolition SunnyBoy systems that you can get for next to nothing. Overall a top quality system very inexpensive.

Well, and obvious choice for you would be an Outback Radian 8048. It is a hybrid inverter that accepts both grid and generator input, and can charge the batteries through either. Charging the batteries directly though would be with an Outback charge controller, which takes DC from the panels to feed the batteries, then the batteries feed DC currrent to the inverter to make the AC.

Firstly thanks for the suggestion, the price is a little steep for whats available and doesn't really fit my application, it has a great surge capacity, but can only support under 2kW of solar, the generator usage is more of a last resort.

Thanks again for your response Michael.

Firstly thanks for the suggestion, the price is a little steep for whats available and doesn't really fit my application, it has a great surge capacity, but can only support under 2kW of solar, the generator usage is more of a last resort.
You are falling into the W/$ trap. The Radian is a Quality, Tier-1 product. You really need to read RCinFLA's technical post on the quality of building of imported AiO units. What's inside the box that you DON'T see in the advertisement.

How are you coming up with this 2kW of solar number? That is NOT correct. It's an 8 kW inverter, meaning it can put out a maximum of 8000W, though it can surge to 12kW for 5 seconds.

The radian is a component inverter, meaning that it doesn't even accept the solar input. The Outback charge controller does that part. Since Outback makes 60, 80, and 100A controllers, their maximal inputs for a 48V system would be 3000W, 4000W, and 5000W respectively.

You are falling into the W/$ trap. The Radian is a Quality, Tier-1 product. You really need to read RCinFLA's technical post on the quality of building of imported AiO units. What's inside the box that you DON'T see in the advertisement.

How are you coming up with this 2kW of solar number? That is NOT correct. It's an 8 kW inverter, meaning it can put out a maximum of 8000W, though it can surge to 12kW for 5 seconds.

The radian is a component inverter, meaning that it doesn't even accept the solar input. The Outback charge controller does that part. Since Outback makes 60, 80, and 100A controllers, their maximal inputs for a 48V system would be 3000W, 4000W, and 5000W respectively.

I see, sorry I thought the DC input was solar, Ill look into it some more.

SMA Sunny Island, you can then pair it with ex-demolition SunnyBoy systems that you can get for next to nothing. Overall a top quality system very inexpensive.

Thanks for the suggestion ill look into it.

Back