diy solar

diy solar

Off grid people ill-prepared

I am sure you can find a nice hot war zone somewhere, where you can be truly happy.
That wasn’t a very nice thing to say….I will just forget you said it…not only was it untrue ,it was uncalled for…you have a nice night… bye bye…J.

Most of the population of the USA is unprepared if the grocery stores go empty or the power goes out.

Every single family in the USA should have at least 30 days of food in their home.

You can survive without power, you can't survive without food and water. Electricity is a luxury, nice to have, not required.

Most of the population of the USA is unprepared if the grocery stores go empty or the power goes out.

Every single family in the USA should have at least 30 days of food in their home.

You can survive without power, you can't survive without food and water. Electricity is a luxury, nice to have, not required.
Agreed. I have more in vegetables, this would give me time to sprout some seeds and increase the hydro and soil systems to keep producing them (with solar and battery power of course, pending season ). While they are growing I can hunt for more protein.
Seared backstraps with some sautéed onions, peppers, broccoli and plenty of garlic. Yum.

I also have a water distiller I've been using the crap out of lately when there is excess solar along with multiple filters and lifestraws if shtf really bad.

Easy and cheap. A lot cheaper than other options.

55 gallon drum (with or without a mylar liner)
Big bags of rice and beans from costco or walmart
5 lb salt, hot pepper, etc
Misc grain of your choice

CO2 or dry ice flush (or not). A few 02 absorbers and desicant. Mix some food grade diatomaceous earth to get ahead of the weevils that are in the grain. Though the absorbers and desiccant should kill them.

Rice weighs 6-7 lbs per gallon. Forget how much grain weighs.

But it’s several hundred lbs of food. Supplement with opossum as needed. Keep a bunch of cooking oil on hand and rotate.

Get at tote for 330 gallons of water. At a gallon a day per person (emergency rations), plus rainwater, will go a long way.

Agreed. I have more in vegetables, this would give me time to sprout some seeds and increase the hydro and soil systems to keep producing them (with solar and battery power of course, pending season ). While they are growing I can hunt for more protein.
Seared backstraps with some sautéed onions, peppers, broccoli and plenty of garlic. Yum.

I also have a water distiller I've been using the crap out of lately when there is excess solar along w
I don't think you're going to be able to hunt.. Maybe during the first few days of whatever event happens, but people are going to run out of food fast, and they're going to shoot at everything that moves when they get hungry. Imagine a bunch of people ignorant of gun safety, ignorant of hunting safety, and out running around the woods while hungry.. That's not a good picture.

They'll be shooting squirrels in the city, and the deer will be hunted out in the countryside.. Unless you live in a VERY remote area, I think you're going to find that wildlife is going to disappear really quickly.

Distilled water will actually be a commodity if we have a collapse. All those people with lead acid batteries and no way to add water to them. People don't think that way..

Easy and cheap. A lot cheaper than other options.

55 gallon drum (with or without a mylar liner)
Big bags of rice and beans from costco or walmart
5 lb salt, hot pepper, etc
Misc grain of your choice

CO2 or dry ice flush (or not). A few 02 absorbers and desicant. Mix some food grade diatomaceous earth to get ahead of the weevils that are in the grain. Though the absorbers and desiccant should kill them.

Rice weighs 6-7 lbs per gallon. Forget how much grain weighs.

But it’s several hundred lbs of food. Supplement with opossum as needed. Keep a bunch of cooking oil on hand and rotate.

Get at tote for 330 gallons of water. At a gallon a day per person (emergency rations), plus rainwater, will go a long way.

I'm always dismayed when people say "I can't afford to prep or buy food".. Usually posting such nonsense from their $600 phone.

Your 55 gallon drum of rice, beans, and misc stuff would probably cost less than a single trip to the grocery store.. Not luxurious, but it will keep you alive for a long damn time...

Indeed, some people prefer “danger” and freedom to serfdom and safety, the latter has found some nice safe countries in the Commonwealth countries which are becoming picture perfect models of Orwellian thought.
This sort of extreme characterisation is far from reality and does not help us have a reasonable discussion.

This sort of extreme characterisation is far from reality and does not help us have a reasonable discussion.
I've tried to stay out of this because there's really not much upside once it gets personal, but I have to call bullshit on this statement since it's coming from someone who has posted liberally (pun intended) on this thread about the gun crazed Americans. Anything reasonable left this thread about 8 or 10 pages ago.

I also have a water distiller I've been using the crap out of lately when there is excess solar along with multiple filters and lifestraws if shtf really bad.
Check out wild caught can salmon..84 grams of protein per can..all the good fat ya need .Vit D and A …and other needed stuff..4 bucks per 1 lb can ……you can actually build muscle on this much protein , ( not just maintain) ask any grizzly bear…
salmon is the ultimate survival food..…last for at least 10 years according to the label…( I have eaten it 5 years past expiration and it’s great…I test it every year…) not possible to find as good source of protein to form the base of your stockpile..
just add a little vit C and sugar and spinach or collards and you will be here long after the tofu crowd have necked out…
I recently put back my 500th can of salmon…that does not include my chicken , beef and smoked herring In oil , Spam or other very long term valuable foods..…..
we won’t get into the veggies and soups and etc,…to time consuming…
lard is a good thing too……so is curing salts for fresh meat…a hundred lbs should do ya along time… pickled eggs… freeze dried eggs… 25 year life minimum… don’t wait till you need it to experiment and cook with it…its great….
been doing this along time…it works and is cheap.

Last edited:
I've tried to stay out of this because there's really not much upside once it gets personal, but I have to call bullshit on this statement since it's coming from someone who has posted liberally (pun intended) on this thread about the gun crazed Americans. Anything reasonable left this thread about 8 or 10 pages ago.
Liberals love to ambush from afar.. they never confront eye to eye….that requires balls .

Back