diy solar

diy solar

off-grid wood shop design advice

woodshop

Hello, I'm new to this forum! I found this forum watching Will Prowse videos. I am looking for advice or suggestions for an off-grid woodshop I am constructing in northern CA.

The woodshop will have no ability to connect with the grid. I’m trying to build an affordable system, with the ability to upgrade later with more batteries, panels and maybe another inverter and a second battery monitor.

The workshop will include the following tools:
3 hp tablesaw 220V
Festtool Chopsaw
20 inch bandsaw 220v
8 inch delta jointer
15 inch 220V Powermatic planer 220V
Several 110V Sanders and various power tools

It seems like a lot, but the important part to understand is that I only use one tool at a time. I addition, I use a lot of hand tools. This translates to roughly a current commercial electric bill for the Los Angeles area of about $60 a month, or approximately 248kwh per month.

I are planning on the following design:
(8) - 24 volt Battleborn batteries.
(1) AIMS Power PICOGLF60W24V240VS24 Vols Pure Sine 6000 Watt low Frequency. 110/220Vac Inverter.
(1) Solar charge Controller. MPPT 150 /35
(1) Battery Protect BP/220
(1) AiLi Battery Monitor 8-100V,0-350A
(1) DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD
(1) DC 5-120V 100A Amp Meter.
(1) Battery capacity monitor.
(1) Circuit Breaker For Solar charger
Multiple Bus Bars
Multiple Fuses and Holders
(1) Cell Balancer
Main fuse for battery bank to inverter
Automatic transfer switch (I believe is built into the inverter).
4/0 AWG Gauge 3/8in Lugs.
24V > 12V Converter to run LED lights
Common port 8S LifePO4 BMS
10 x Solar panels run in parallel (not sure which ones to get yet. Any advice is appreciated) in sets of two, then in series.
20kW light power deisel generator with autostart
24 volt 200 amp relay

I would appreciate any input or any suggestions on this system. Thank you.

You dont use a bms with the 8x 24v battleborns, I think you should look at a prewired system such as outback flexpower. AND you need to get a better idea on the power draw of those tools. I bet that planer is gonna be a tad on the high side. If you build it your self from parts you should go with a much much bigger invert and move to 48v not 24v Id go with the big Sigineer 15kW

If your up near Redding I can help you build a system. Check out the BYD batt deal people are grabbing.

I believe that Charge Controller won't be able to charge that amount of batteries.... Too many undershoot that, 8 stand alone batteries linked up will take a lot of juice. 10 Panels ? Might also be under what you need... 4 panel series is pretty normal.

Here is the Midnite Classics sizing tool http://www.midnitesolar.com/sizingTool/index.php enter your panel specs and details and it will suggest which controller can handle it with the various Series / Parallel options. Virtually all Solar Controller vendors have such tools.... if they don't supply at least that basic level of tech support, move on to another brand !

AIMS does not have a "switch" built in as such, but has a port for ATS (auto transfer) & a port for AGS (Auto Gen Start module), unless they changed that recently. They were one I evaluated when I wanted to upgrade my cheopo 3Kw Yiyen Inverter (Aims is almost the same as the Yiyen line, likely their OEM as AIMS is a VAR not a manufacturer).

You dont use a bms with the 8x 24v battleborns, I think you should look at a prewired system such as outback flexpower. AND you need to get a better idea on the power draw of those tools. I bet that planer is gonna be a tad on the high side. If you build it your self from parts you should go with a much much bigger invert and move to 48v not 24v Id go with the big Sigineer 15kW

If your up near Redding I can help you build a system. Check out the BYD batt deal people are grabbing.
Thank you for the input. Yes, after reviewing everything again, I definitely think the 48v is the way to go. I am going to do some more calculations on how much power these tools draw as well. The reason I was going with the this inverter, was purely initial cost - with the intentions of adding a second one in the near future. I think this may be cheaper. And yes, that old planer is a power hog.

I believe that Charge Controller won't be able to charge that amount of batteries.... Too many undershoot that, 8 stand alone batteries linked up will take a lot of juice. 10 Panels ? Might also be under what you need... 4 panel series is pretty normal.

Here is the Midnite Classics sizing tool http://www.midnitesolar.com/sizingTool/index.php enter your panel specs and details and it will suggest which controller can handle it with the various Series / Parallel options. Virtually all Solar Controller vendors have such tools.... if they don't supply at least that basic level of tech support, move on to another brand !

AIMS does not have a "switch" built in as such, but has a port for ATS (auto transfer) & a port for AGS (Auto Gen Start module), unless they changed that recently. They were one I evaluated when I wanted to upgrade my cheopo 3Kw Yiyen Inverter (Aims is almost the same as the Yiyen line, likely their OEM as AIMS is a VAR not a manufacturer).

yes, a different charge controller is probably needed. I definitely plan on adding more panels to the system. I'm just trying to build what I can afford at the moment with a much bigger system in the long term plan. Thanks for the link on the sizing tool and advice on staying away from vendors that don't provide a basic level of support. I will update the forum when it is built. Should be in the next 2 months. Thank you

Search and watch some videos on the Sigineer 15kW it has a massive transformer for demanding load spikes and is on the cheap side for what it can do. And it will pair nice with the BYD units everyone is buying on the forum for well well under the cost of the battleborns.

@woodshop I also have a woodshop that’s off the grid, I’m using Schneider Xw’s and Discover AES for the power plant I picked up the inverters used and see these out there floating around occasionally. The Schneider have a great surge rating, one of them could probably get me by but two let’s me do anything I ever want.

so googleing some quick specs, a 3hp baldor (compressor rated) motor has as startup current of 105 amps. Running 14a @230v
it also has a 85 power factor. 105a@230v = 24Kw and not a single other item on.

for an affordable system? Thats a 5-6kw single phase system for all the hand tools/lights and a 20Kw genset for the 220v tools.

so googleing some quick specs, a 3hp baldor (compressor rated) motor has as startup current of 105 amps. Running 14a @230v
it also has a 85 power factor. 105a@230v = 24Kw and not a single other item on.

for an affordable system? Thats a 5-6kw single phase system for all the hand tools/lights and a 20Kw genset for the 220v tools.
My woodshop manages to run pretty well off one Xw Pro, when running the dust collection with the table saw or planer it’s defiantly smoother with two inverters running. I have a 14 kW Kohler hooked up and it’s definitely a bit small, the pros at 100% charge rate = 280 ADC will work better with the 20 RCA unit that was just shipped.

Back