diy solar

diy solar

On and Off-Grid - Same House.

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
So, you have a grid-tied solar system, then you tell your grid-tied installer that you want a battery system, and he says that'll be $32,000 for 28 kWh of storage, and about a year before Tesla will even sell it to you.

"Hold mah beer..."

I suffer from the most outrageous "demand tariff" "TOU" rate in the country, probably the entire world. ($4 kW and $9 kW in the summer). All because I have solar and a net-meter.

I bought some batteries, added a 240V 50amp circuit to the garage, installed some off-grid hybrid system inverters, and don't use the "demand tariff"

IMG_20200120_092853057.jpg
I turn off the grid by switching off the "Main" 200 AMP circuit breaker at the top of the load's panel.

Emporia Vue cannot distinguish between send and receive of A/C.
The dip to zero is when all power is off. The climb back up, right after the zero is turning the A/C main on and charging the batteries.
During "off-grid" time, the loads-panel is supplied by the Garage 50amp circuit.
During "on-grid" time, the loads-panel is supplied by the Grid 200amp circuit.
Screenshot_20200120-193526.png Screenshot_20200120-193549.png Screenshot_20200120-193710.png
I only get "credit" to my bill at the rate of 1 to 6 from the net-meter.
During the "off-grid" time, all of my solar gets sent to the grid.

This is the epitome of idiocracy.
Next week I start mounting 2.3 kWp of solar panels to my roof. These panels will only be used to charge my battery bank. I might get to use some of the energy directly while my house is in off-grid mode.

After I get everything configured properly, all my grid-tied solar panels (6.2 kWp) will be converted to off-grid to power my battery and house for me. I fully expect to be able to take the "can" off the grid and simply be zero grid usage.

suffer from the most outrageous "demand tariff" "TOU" rate in the country, probably the entire world. ($4 kW and $9 kW in the summer). All because I have solar and a net-meter.
OK, gotta ask, what state / general location is that and WHO is the power company that is that insane ?
The peak grid rate here is $0.14 per kwh, plus delivery fee & taxes of course.

That is a raw deal. I live in Arkansas where we have a lot of rural electric coop (not for profit) companies. They have a big influence on the state public service commission that designs the state utility laws. We get 1:1 credit. If I make an extra 250Kwh per month, that extra will pay my service access fee of $22.

Back