diy solar

diy solar

One about to kick the top off Kickstarter

According to kick starter delivery starts in December. Discovered it because someone already has a video testing it on Youtube. Ends in 11 hours.

According to kick starter delivery starts in December. Discovered it because someone already has a video testing it on Youtube. Ends in 11 hours.

I've been burned on kickstarter before. I'm very interested but I'll wait for public sales.

Once I realized they can be chained together, I jumped on and ordered the 2x 1300 deal. This setup will hopefully hold me over until I can figure out how to do a hybrid thing that takes from, but doesn't feed back to the grid. I'd like to have one large room that is capable of running an AC unit, a fridge, LED lights, a Roku and a television, plus charge my phone. I'm a long way off from figuring out how to do that right now.

Once I realized they can be chained together, I jumped on and ordered the 2x 1300 deal. This setup will hopefully hold me over until I can figure out how to do a hybrid thing that takes from, but doesn't feed back to the grid. I'd like to have one large room that is capable of running an AC unit, a fridge, LED lights, a Roku and a television, plus charge my phone. I'm a long way off from figuring out how to do that right now.
Why don't you do one of the all in one MPP units. I am considering putting that next to my breaker box and wiring it into another breaker box where I move certain circuits in my house and having my own hybrid system. It will charge from solar and/or the grid to keep battery bank up as well as provide pure sine wave to the 2nd breaker box.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mpp+sola...P01N7&sprefix=mpp+,aps,179&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_4

So jealous I cannot afford this right now even though I know it is going up after kickstarter is over. Please share your experience after you get them.

What is so special about this thing? I don't get it...
Your question prompted me to actually take a moment and look at the product. It is not unique in concept, it is a battery and inverter in a box. Unlike generators which use fuel to generate electricity, the Delta battery back up requires an electrical generator to replenish it's static storage device, aka battery. Is there a comparable Yeti model?

Last edited:
Your question prompted me to actually take a moment and look at the product. It is not unique in concept, it is a battery and inverter in a box. Unlike generators which use fuel to generate electricity, the Delta battery back up requires an electrical generator to replenish it's static storage device, aka battery. If the grid is down for more than a few hours, a generator will be required to recharge the Delta. Investors beware for you can put lipstick on a pig and call it a super model, but it's still a pig!
I Don't think you looked at it in it's entirety. In general concept it is no different then any other "solar generator" in that you can charge the batteries in many different ways. Solar, wall, generator or you car. The thing that I found most appealing is that it has a larger inverter then the goal zero and you can get it to 80% in just one hour from full depleted battery if you have access to shore power or even a gas generator that can deliver 1500 watts. It also has MPPT solar charge controller and can take if I remember correctly 4 hours in good sun with 400 watts input of power to fully recharge. So it does have solar and they offer solar panels with the device.

Sounds a whole lot like the "80% in one hour" claim and the "800 cycles" are directly related. Can't modern chemistries like lithium iron phosphate pull cycle counts in the double digit thousands? Makes me think the cells in this bad boy are being driven very, very hard.

Oka
I Don't think you looked at it in it's entirety. In general concept it is no different then any other "solar generator" in that you can charge the batteries in many different ways. Solar, wall, generator or you car. The thing that I found most appealing is that it has a larger inverter then the goal zero and you can get it to 80% in just one hour from full depleted battery if you have access to shore power or even a gas generator that can deliver 1500 watts. It also has MPPT solar charge controller and can take if I remember correctly 4 hours in good sun with 400 watts input of power to fully recharge. So it does have solar and they offer solar panels with the device.
Okay, I will review the specs again, is there a yet model that this unit compares to?

Sounds a whole lot like the "80% in one hour" claim and the "800 cycles" are directly related. Can't modern chemistries like lithium iron phosphate pull cycle counts in the double digit thousands? Makes me think the cells in this bad boy are being driven very, very hard.

Yup, to achieve that fast charge it has to charge the battery @ 1C, which will surely lessen cell life. If I were looking for something like this (I'm not), I'd want a fast/slow charge switch to be able to decide if I needed to fast charge. It looks to me that it's made up of 140 18650 cells @ about 3000mah each...and they are receiving 3 amps each of charge current...ouch.

Why don't you do one of the all in one MPP units. I am considering putting that next to my breaker box and wiring it into another breaker box where I move certain circuits in my house and having my own hybrid system. It will charge from solar and/or the grid to keep battery bank up as well as provide pure sine wave to the 2nd breaker box.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mpp+solar+inverter+charger&crid=BVFTIF8P01N7&sprefix=mpp+,aps,179&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_4

I'm planning on trying to do that, but I need to learn a lot even to get to that point.

Charges to 80% in one hour? Isn't that high enough current to hurt the cells and shorten their life quite a bit? Quick charging has a cost.

Charges to 80% in one hour? Isn't that high enough current to hurt the cells and shorten their life quite a bit? Quick charging has a cost.

I think Will stated a concern regarding that issue too in another thread about this item. I don't think anyone out there who has tested it so far has addressed it and Will didn't get a unit to test though he is getting one... too late for all of us who bought them though - also maybe not enough time before the launch to see the degradation either. I plan on only using solar to charge it generally which should be much more slow.

Back