diy solar

diy solar

Opinions solicitation. Future battery price trend?

I need to look up the seller, I found some contacts on Alibaba when I was asking if they were going to have Prismatic Cells based on the Sodium chemistry - I can see these being supper handy in Canada with our lovely long winters. (ok most winters, not this one apparently, not complaining mind you).
Anyway they offered some finished packs to try out, and I took the chance on one 12v one 24v. The cost per 100Ah is about the same as with LFP. (12v 100Ah $230, 24v 100Ah $365 USD) shipping added to these prices. These have not arrived yet, hope to see them by end of January, test them out, and post some info for all you guys to see.
The main issue with Sodium is the wider voltage range may mean you can't really use the full capacity with regular inverters. The very top may never be reached, and the bottom may be too low for the inverter to use. This will be part of my experiment - to see if the reduction means my "100Ah" pack is only 70-80Ah useable or not. I realize some inverters allow for wider voltage ranges, however my bargin basement mobile units are not one of those.

The Alibaba Vendor is: Shenzhen Lead New Energy Co Ltd.

A few thoughts
1)World economy is on the slide into recession. Prices usually go down/stabilize in recessions.
2)China's economy is looking very bad and they make most of the LiFePO batteries. So they will be a major driving factor in pricing. Prices should go down but if demand drops off (world economy in recession) then China battery makers could go out of business. Supply shortages result.
3)Things cook off in the middle east and oil spikes badly we could see 1970s style stagflation. Higher prices result.
4)China gets frisky with Taiwan and everything exported from China stops. This is a world changing event and everything from shoes to prescription drugs experiences severe shortages.
5) #3 & 4 could happen simultaneously :eek:

If you know you will need new batteries then I would buy them now as the down side is a lot worse than any possible cost savings in my opinion.

I just replaced 30KWH of AGMs with 30KWH SOK LiFePO rack batteries and I sleep better.
So you now have twice the usable kwh's!

Back