diy solar

diy solar

Orion 24/12-70 tripping BMS

Deustheorem

We are using a Orion 24/12-70 to step down to 12v from our Eg4-lifepower 24v battery.

The problem is everything works fine for hours or days and then the BMS will stop power. If we disconnect the Orion the system comes back up as normal. If you leave the Orion connected it will continue to fail.

But if you leave the Neg leg attached for a while then reconnect the positive lead to the Orion it will start functioning properly.

It seems like it is building up a resistance.

Looking for any possible insights to this issue before I warranty replace it.

I have a 50amp breaker on the 24v side and will have a 90amp on the 12v side shortly.

Check all your connections. Are they tight? Are they clean? Is there good surface contact? 50% of voltage issues seen on the forum are due to bad connections. A bad connection could be your problem.

While the Orion is functioning under a load, but not a big enough load to cause the failure, check the voltage at every connection point between the battery and the Orion. Also, put a bare finger on these connections. You're looking for a connection or cable that is significantly warmer than everything else.

I managed to get this to occur while monitoring the BMS.

I did hear some rapid ticking from the battery when I turned on the breaker to the Orion. Spent time to double check all the cables are secure and tight with no dirt or grease on the connectors. All cables and connectors stay room temperature when under load. I disconnected the 12v side of the Orion and when turning on the breaker it short circuits again.

Without the Orion it still starts fine and runs with a normal status.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    374 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    356.5 KB · Views: 9
I managed to get this to occur while monitoring the BMS.

I did hear some rapid ticking from the battery when I turned on the breaker to the Orion. Spent time to double check all the cables are secure and tight with no dirt or grease on the connectors. All cables and connectors stay room temperature when under load. I disconnected the 12v side of the Orion and when turning on the breaker it short circuits again.

Without the Orion it still starts fine and runs with a normal status.
Is the ticking coming from a relay or contactor or similar?

This needs more testing to confirm. But when the all in one is NOT charging the battery I wasn't able to turn on the Orion without it faulting. But when the all in one is charging the battery the Orion could be turned on. Screenshot of it under load while charging.

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    360.9 KB · Views: 9
I didn’t phrase that correctly. It causes the bms to trip the short circuit protection.
Without engaging my brain, I suspect you are getting a surprise because the dc2dc converter is non-isolated.
I think now would be a good time for pictures of your system and a topology diagram.

Last edited:
Wondering what the "Configinfo" screen looks like in your BMS app. Maybe some clues in there?

And what battery are you charging with 70A?

Wondering what the "Configinfo" screen looks like in your BMS app. Maybe some clues in there?

And what battery are you charging with 70A?
My mistake a Orion 24/12-70 is a converter not a charger.
Fixed my post.

This is the only 70 amp dc2dc device that Victron makes.
I’m using as a step down converter for running a 12v dc fridge that maxes out at about 10-15 amps, diesel heater and a few led lights.

Am I using the wrong victron product for stepping down to 12v for the few things I need?

I have a older pic before adding the breaker before and after the Orion. But that is all that I’ve changed. And I’ve not yet installed my Panels on the roof yet so they are not connected. The all in one is just a “shore” power for now.

Attachments

• E75E672F-9B91-4F7D-8A3C-8D13E8D83260.jpeg
    E75E672F-9B91-4F7D-8A3C-8D13E8D83260.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 517B6437-497F-46BB-A9A5-DC01BE63A7DB.jpeg
    517B6437-497F-46BB-A9A5-DC01BE63A7DB.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 16
I’m using as a step down converter for running a 12v dc fridge that maxes out at about 10-15 amps, diesel heater and a few led lights.

Am I using the wrong victron product for stepping down to 12v for the few things I need?

No, I think you have the right device. How it is wiring may be part of the problem. Until you address what I put in post #5 you're shooting in the dark.

Try removing the negative cable between the converter and the fuse block.
See if you still get a bms short circuit disconnect.
If you do then remove the postive cable between the converter and the fuse block.
See if you still get a bms short circuit disconnect.
Then report back.

Back