diy solar

diy solar

Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger Non-Isolated for a Whole House voltage regulator.

PerryB67

I have a Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger Non-Isolated that I would like to reverse for a whole-house voltage controller running at 12.8 volts. I don't like the idea of my trailer's appliances seeing 14.6v during the day when we have solar. Will this work efficiently in our trailer, or do I need to worry about to much parasitic draw and/or heat dissipation?

Thanks,

Perry

So you want to put the DC-Dc between your house battery and 12V bus?

Should work fine provided you have it set to constant voltage output, and you don't exceed its rated output.

Note that everything in a trailer is designed to run from a 12V system not 12V. Whether FLA, GEL, AGM or LFP batteries are installed, those devices are expecting to see voltages approaching 15V and almost always above 13V. You shouldn't see 14V+ absorption voltage for more than 30-120 minutes in most cases, and the voltage should drop to 13.2-13.8V.

So you want to put the DC-Dc between your house battery and 12V bus?

Should work fine provided you have it set to constant voltage output, and you don't exceed its rated output.

Note that everything in a trailer is designed to run from a 12V system not 12V. Whether FLA, GEL, AGM or LFP batteries are installed, those devices are expecting to see voltages approaching 15V and almost always above 13V. You shouldn't see 14V+ absorption voltage for more than 30-120 minutes in most cases, and the voltage should drop to 13.2-13.8V.
When we fried the board in our MaxxFan they asked what voltage we're charging our batteries. We charge at 14.6. They said anything over 14.2 can fry the board. Not all appliances are good to 15v either.

I have since found out standby voltage for the Orion is 1 milliamp. However, what amperage is involved during the normal output of the Orion. We have items running on 12v all the time.

Thanks,

Perry

When we fried the board in our MaxxFan they asked what voltage we're charging our batteries. We charge at 14.6. They said anything over 14.2 can fry the board. Not all appliances are good to 15v either.

Sounds like BS to me. Many 10s of thousands of RVs out there with > 14.2V charge voltage including the five I've owned.

I have since found out standby voltage for the Orion is 1 milliamp. However, what amperage is involved during the normal output of the Orion. We have items running on 12v all the time.

The Orion models have various ratings. Expect a ~85-90% power efficiency in the conversion, i.e.,

Voltage_in * Current_in * .85 = Voltage_out * Current_out

Sounds like BS to me. Many 10s of thousands of RVs out there with > 14.2V charge voltage including the five I've owned.
Considering MaxxFan told me to install a buck/boost for their fan, since they can't handle higher loads, and I stated that, why would you say it's BS. I do know many Escape owners have installed buck/boosts on their MaxxFans.

I think I'll just sell the Orion and install buck/boosts where needed (probably just for the MaxxFan).

Enjoy,

Perry

Back