diy solar

diy solar

Overpanelling GroWatt? Risks?

Yikes this thread is scary. I don't think using an analogy to extrapolate behavior is a good idea.

I was going to point out that in the fw update thread lots of guys are over 18a as the update gives them 22a. Maybe pop in there to see how long they have been over paneling?

Thought this might be on interest.
View attachment 104129

That is interesting. On these AIO's they have cut out steps that are normally present in discreet components, or I guess you could call it optimizing the bill of materials (BOM) :LOL: Really it makes sense to do this from a manufacturing stand point.

I dunno, I've been on the fence with AIO's for years, almost pulling the trigger many times. But my biggest hold up is, when one part goes bad, it takes out your whole system. I like being able to replace an inverter, or SCC, or AC charger, etc... Instead of being forced to replace all three at once.

That is interesting. On these AIO's they have cut out steps that are normally present in discreet components, or I guess you could call it optimizing the bill of materials (BOM) :LOL: Really it makes sense to do this from a manufacturing stand point.

I dunno, I've been on the fence with AIO's for years, almost pulling the trigger many times. But my biggest hold up is, when one part goes bad, it takes out your whole system. I like being able to replace an inverter, or SCC, or AC charger, etc... Instead of being forced to replace all three at once.
It's nice having everything in one neat and tidy box, but yeah, I'm thinking about going separates next time for the same reasons.

For the cost of individual components, you can buy spare AIO's. ;)

I plan on running off 2 SPF5000s, but plan on having 3 wired up for just such a situation. Maybe use the 3rd as a charge controller only, or maybe just have it sitting there ready.

I did not have the space for a modular system. Hard to find a 48v 80 amp charge controller a 3500 watt inverter a 40 amp ac to dc charger and instant transfer switch that will fit in a 14” base cabinet door opening for $700 (even cheaper now) lots of good reasons to go with an AIO still if you have the space and the money modular has a lot of perks.

I did not have the space for a modular system. Hard to find a 48v 80 amp charge controller a 3500 watt inverter a 40 amp ac to dc charger and instant transfer switch that will fit in a 14” base cabinet door opening for $700 (even cheaper now) lots of good reasons to go with an AIO still if you have the space and the money modular has a lot of perks.

I totally agree the space savings is great.

I'm late to the show but, there are post on this forum; some have burned out mppts on their AIO and the inverter/charger still continues to function.
So, not always a complete smoke show or shutdown.

Back