diy solar

diy solar

Panel Optimizers - Can I install only on panels that get shaded??

The optimizer "senses" a reduction in current caused by some shading. It adjusts this module's current to reflect the correct “virtual” resistance for each module, thus preventing the lower producing module from dragging down the production of the higher producing modules in the string.

It couldn't know that there was a reduction in current specifically from shading unless it was communicating with other optimizers. While you may not need an optimizer on all panels, I would expect that you would also need SOME on your top performing panels to set the standard.

If you are roof mounting and are subject to NEC 2017 or newer, you need one on every panel anyway for the module shutdown requirement.

It doesn't say which kind of optimizers. If a SolarEdge system, yes. As pointed out above, Tigo does not require every panel.

Mainly because at this time I don't know, I'd not even investigated much before this "problem" came up in conversation.

I have a potential location where a couple of panels out of a 6S string would get shaded later in the day. Running as 3S2P might be OK (still within the MPPT operating range), it's certainly cheaper.

I'd assumed that the optimisers work as a sort of "local" MPPT tuning for that panel's maximum power and adjusting its output for maximum string current, I certainly hadn't anticipated that they might talk to one another (or for that matter some mysterious system lurking in the cloud).

I do sometimes wonder how much of the "technical" detail is really marketing fluff, a lot of it doesn't make much sense in engineering terms.

Last edited:
Mainly because at this time I don't know, I'd not even investigated much before this "problem" came up in conversation.

I have a potential location where a couple of panels out of a 6S string would get shaded later in the day. Running as 3S2P might be OK (still within the MPPT operating range), it's certainly cheaper.

bolded should be "will definitely"

If it's "might," you may be too close to the Voc limits of the MPPT. If these are 72 cell panels, and your MPPT limit is 150V, then it definitely WILL NOT be OK unless you have an extremely stable year-round temperature like in the tropics.

I have a special panel optimizer made by a company called Stihl.

bolded should be "will definitely"

If it's "might," you may be too close to the Voc limits of the MPPT. If these are 72 cell panels, and your MPPT limit is 150V, then it definitely WILL NOT be OK unless you have an extremely stable year-round temperature like in the tropics.

Actually, 3S will possibly be on the LOW end of the MPPT voltage range, 6S is mid-range (MPPT operating range is 120-450V).

Panels are Vmp 38.2V so we are definitely scraping the bottom limit. I may just get the panels up as 6S and see how they perform with just the bypass diodes. There isn't space to add two more panels for a 4S2P arrangement :(

But the Voc over-voltage issue can never be stated too often, particularly in the cooler climes (we are indeed tropical, 18C is decidedly chilly).

Last edited:
I found this article (on Tigo optimizers) very interesting.

Actually, 3S will possibly be on the LOW end of the MPPT voltage range, 6S is mid-range (MPPT operating range is 120-450V).

Panels are Vmp 38.2V so we are definitely scraping the bottom limit. I may just get the panels up as 6S and see how they perform with just the bypass diodes. There isn't space to add two more panels for a 4S2P arrangement :(

But the Voc over-voltage issue can never be stated too often, particularly in the cooler climes (we are indeed tropical, 18C is decidedly chilly).

This is concerning. Many high Voc MPPT won't even start unless they see a minimum voltage - sometimes as high as 160V with the bottom of their MPPT range at 120V. 3S of your panels would fail to function entirely in that situation.

I hadn't seen that one before (Mark is pretty knowledgeable in this area) and it's consistent with the experience of others I mentioned earlier.

If I thought a system was going to need optimisers, I'd just go with microinverters instead.
Unknown relevancy: APSystems QS1 microinverters each handle 4 panels. They have newer models this fall. They are on my roof but not yet connected or used.

Unknown relevancy: APSystems QS1 microinverters each handle 4 panels. They have newer models this fall. They are on my roof but not yet connected or used.
Do they handle each panel individually, or as a single block of four?

Back