diy solar

diy solar

Panel overhang past roof edge

JSR

Code aside, is there a general rule of how much a panel can overhang the roof edge (pitched roof on building, not on a mobile vehicle). The panel would be on racks that would extend past the roof edge. I don't get any snow, but do get winds sometimes into the 30s or 40s mph.

Thanks.

I've read having panels set back from edge a couple feet drastically reduces uplift from wind.
I'd suggest determining force on panel if fully exposed to your peak wind, see if it is OK. Perhaps roof mounts assume roof provides some protection.
Our local rules allow roof mounts < 18" and < 40 lbs per foot without mechanical plans. I presume that is lag screws through sheathing. Screwed into rafters would be stronger. You also have 2 or 3 rails per panel, length of extension beyond rails, hardware type to consider.

On carport canopies they typically allow up to 1/3 of the length of the panel, but it depends on the manufacturer of the panel. You need to ask them but basically, where ever the mounting hole is located to the end of the panel is what is allowed.

Thanks folks. The setup idea is 6x 400W panels: 4 vertically mounted and 2 horizontally mounted (in 3s2p config). I'd like to get 2400W if possible as my solar charge controller can handle 1600W and I'd like to overpanel to maximize how long I can actually feed 1600W into my SCC.

My current layout to maximize solar has 2 panels mounted horizontally (1 above the other) and overhanging the bottom edge of my garage roof by 6in (for the length of the one 74" panel). The 4 vertically mounted panels would be about flush (maybe 2in) from the bottom edge of the garage roof. On one end of the array, the vertically mounted panels overhang the end of the garage roof by ~4in.
My wife doesn't like the idea of a 6in overhang past the bottom edge of my garage roof for the 74" panel span.

The other idea is to raise the entire array 6in so that the lowest panel (horizontal one) is flush with the bottom roof edge, but now the entire array would extend past the ridge peak of my garage roof by ~6in.
The ~4in overhang at the end of the garage roof would still exist.

Last option is to eliminate the 2 horizontal panels and just have the 4 vertical panels. This would allow no overhang on either the bottom edge, above the ridge peak, or the end edge of my roof. However, I'd likely never get 1600W to my SCC.

Back