diy solar

diy solar

Parallel 120v single phase setup for EG4 6500EX - Please check

Dinobot248

Before I actually connect my second EG4 6500EX in parallel for single phase 120v, I wanted to check by understanding. Better to ask before I make a mistake. Please advise and thanks in advance.

EG4 6500EX settings

Below are the notable settings and/or changes. All other settings for both inverters will be setup in the same way. Firmware is the same on both. Battery cable is setup.

Inverter 1

05 = EG4, for closed loop communication with LifePower4 rack of 6 batteries.

28 = PAL, for parallel

Inverter 2

05 = USE, for user defined with LifePower4 rack of 6 batteries

26 = 56.4 V, default value for bulk charging voltage

27 = 54.0 V, default value for floating charging voltage

29 = 44.0 V, default value for user defined battery

28 = PAL, for parallel

Questions / Comments.
  1. Are the default battery charging voltages (26, 27,29) good or should they be changed?
  2. I have a 120v critical electric panel / load center with a 60A breaker taking up 2 slots. I plan on connecting Inverter 1 to the left slot, Inverter 2 to the right breaker slot, and a 6awg jumper wire between the left and right breaker slot. Its probably not formally correct, but is correct enough? Please see the picture.
  3. In case anyone is wondering, I"m not ready for split phase 240v. Just trying to test the second inverter for a week or two before I make more changes.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    120 KB · Views: 12
Before I actually connect my second EG4 6500EX in parallel for single phase 120v, I wanted to check by understanding. Better to ask before I make a mistake. Please advise and thanks in advance.

EG4 6500EX settings

Below are the notable settings and/or changes. All other settings for both inverters will be setup in the same way. Firmware is the same on both. Battery cable is setup.

Inverter 1

05 = EG4, for closed loop communication with LifePower4 rack of 6 batteries.

28 = PAL, for parallel

Inverter 2

05 = USE, for user defined with LifePower4 rack of 6 batteries

26 = 56.4 V, default value for bulk charging voltage

27 = 54.0 V, default value for floating charging voltage

29 = 44.0 V, default value for user defined battery

28 = PAL, for parallel

Questions / Comments.
  1. Are the default battery charging voltages (26, 27,29) good or should they be changed?
  2. I have a 120v critical electric panel / load center with a 60A breaker taking up 2 slots. I plan on connecting Inverter 1 to the left slot, Inverter 2 to the right breaker slot, and a 6awg jumper wire between the left and right breaker slot. Its probably not formally correct, but is correct enough? Please see the picture.
  3. In case anyone is wondering, I"m not ready for split phase 240v. Just trying to test the second inverter for a week or two before I make more changes.
My 2 cents

Just setup splitphase...Asking for trouble switching back and worth. Or pickup a 120v panel.

Post a picture of your panel and add some drawings showing what you plan on doing.

I already have one EG4 6500EX and my load center wired for 120v on both legs working well enough minus the occasional flickering LED lights.

Not trying to switch back and forth. Its more about testing my second 6500EX and deciding whether to go split phase OR keeping single phase 120v and keeping a backup inverter that can become a primary inverter with a few changes to the settings.

With the various bugs, challenges, learning with the 6500EX and DIY Solar, I am proceeding with caution and trying to maintain a stable and reliable system that powers my house while trying to have a test bench / play area.

Hello Dinobot248

Did you succeed with your setup about the 120v single phase setup for EG4 6500EX ) because
I want to do the same thing like you ?

Hello Dinobot248

Did you succeed with your setup about the 120v single phase setup for EG4 6500EX ) because
I want to do the same thing like you ?
if yes could you share with me what you did please ?)

I believe the EG4 inverters when operated in parallel have a current sharing cable (which is not used in split phase mode) Curious if the 6AWG jumper is even necessary between L1 & L2?

I believe the EG4 inverters when operated in parallel have a current sharing cable (which is not used in split phase mode) Curious if the 6AWG jumper is even necessary between L1 & L2?
When paralleling, I thought you needed both the parallel cables and the current sharing cables. Going off memory though.

Thank guys for your answers but I am wondering about some cables connections

as you can see in this picture below
for 120 single phase parallel connection...

I must do like this (according to the ebook guide) :

Inverter 1 Port A to Inverter 2 Port A
Inverter 1 Port B to Inverter 2 Port B

but this is not what I see

I see

Inverter 1 Port A to Inverter 2 Port B
Inverter 1 Port B to Inverter 2 Port A

(according to line red (arrow red) )

Please could you explain me (with details) where I am wrong?

thank you in advance
Screenshot_20230909192838.png

When paralleling, I thought you needed both the parallel cables and the current sharing cables. Going off memory though.
Yes, I believe you are correct. The parallel cables are for communication and Synch between inverters. I didn't mention those, was referring only to the current sharing cables with regard to the need, or not, for a jumper between legs on the breaker panel.

Thank guys for your answers but I am wondering about some cables connections

as you can see in this picture below
for 120 single phase parallel connection...

I must do like this (according to the ebook guide) :

Inverter 1 Port A to Inverter 2 Port A
Inverter 1 Port B to Inverter 2 Port B

but this is not what I see

I see

Inverter 1 Port A to Inverter 2 Port B
Inverter 1 Port B to Inverter 2 Port A

(according to line red (arrow red) )

Please could you explain me (with details) where I am wrong?

thank you in advance
View attachment 166814
Yeah the manual has a lot of little things that aren’t clear. In looking at the next page of the manual where it shows connecting 3-6 inverters, the mapping seems consistent with the wiring of the current sharing cables.

I would wire it up exactly as the image shows.

I'm going to answer as best as I can.

For the parallel 120v single phase. The manual is correct but it is ambiguous.

Inverter 1 Port A is the tiny two slot port that uses the red and black wires. Port B is the same except it is to the right of port A. You can accidentally install these wrong e.g. plug the wire in Inverter 1 Port A to the wrong Inverter 2 Port B when it should be plugged into Inverter 2 Port A for a case of two inverters.

The serial RS232 cable (I think that's the name) cannot be plugged in backwards when connecting two inverters. Each inverter has a serial RS232 male and female port. The serial RS232 cable has a male and female side.

When just reading the manual, it is confusing that the manual does not differentiate between the little two pin port A/B and the serial RS232.

I have it setup and kinda working. Yes it is sharing the house load 50% each with some fluctuation. Right now, I cannot get the battery settings to save for the inverter that does not have the closed loop communication with the battery bank. I have it set to User Define in menu 5 (can't remember the exact battery menu). . Menu 26 default charge keeps reverting back to 58v and same for menu 27 float voltage of 58v. I can change the settings, move to a different menu and come back to 26, 27 and the settings appear saved. When I exit out of the menu and come back it, I get 58v for 26 and 27.

I put the jumper in the circuit breaker since that makes the panel / load center to be a single 120v panel. Without the jumper, it really is a dual 120v load center.

Also, manual shows that you should have all inverters connect / feed / supply the same 120v leg.

I'm going to answer as best as I can.

For the parallel 120v single phase. The manual is correct but it is ambiguous.

Inverter 1 Port A is the tiny two slot port that uses the red and black wires. Port B is the same except it is to the right of port A. You can accidentally install these wrong e.g. plug the wire in Inverter 1 Port A to the wrong Inverter 2 Port B when it should be plugged into Inverter 2 Port A for a case of two inverters.

The serial RS232 cable (I think that's the name) cannot be plugged in backwards when connecting two inverters. Each inverter has a serial RS232 male and female port. The serial RS232 cable has a male and female side.

When just reading the manual, it is confusing that the manual does not differentiate between the little two pin port A/B and the serial RS232.

I have it setup and kinda working. Yes it is sharing the house load 50% each with some fluctuation. Right now, I cannot get the battery settings to save for the inverter that does not have the closed loop communication with the battery bank. I have it set to User Define in menu 5 (can't remember the exact battery menu). . Menu 26 default charge keeps reverting back to 58v and same for menu 27 float voltage of 58v. I can change the settings, move to a different menu and come back to 26, 27 and the settings appear saved. When I exit out of the menu and come back it, I get 58v for 26 and 27.
Hello
Thank you for your response but please can you share with me some pictures what you did
I think it will very helpful for my case because I don't want to make any mistakes

I am still setting up and installing the system so it’s messy.

Pictures are meant to show Inverter Port A and B for each inverter.

The HS host and SL slave inverter does not matter. If both inverters were shut down, the inverter that starts up first is the HS inverter. I labeled them Left and Right so you can tell them apart.

Attachments

• D5529908-D1D3-47EB-9001-A80863A14E50.jpeg
    D5529908-D1D3-47EB-9001-A80863A14E50.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • CBD3772B-0E0E-4DAF-BE14-4B1291084437.jpeg
    CBD3772B-0E0E-4DAF-BE14-4B1291084437.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • D53919CC-F5C3-4BCC-A145-6B70DBB5EC75.jpeg
    D53919CC-F5C3-4BCC-A145-6B70DBB5EC75.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Thank you very much for those pictures....
my 2 inverters will be delivered to me in few days after that I will try to install them like yours

Hello Guys

I wrote the technical support (EG4 company) about the problem
Here you are their answer

I hope it will help each of you

Answer:

It looks like the manual has a mistake when describing the connection however the diagram itself is correct. The Current sharing cables represented by the greed dotted line would be A to A and B to B. The communication cables would be A to B and B to A as shown in the diagram. I will have a word put in to get this error fixed.

Answer:

It looks like the manual has a mistake when describing the connection however the diagram itself is correct. The Current sharing cables represented by the greed dotted line would be A to A and B to B. The communication cables would be A to B and B to A as shown in the diagram. I will have a word put in to get this error fixed.
Good catch. I only ever looked at the picture... ?

I already have one EG4 6500EX and my load center wired for 120v on both legs working well enough minus the occasional flickering LED lights.

Not trying to switch back and forth. Its more about testing my second 6500EX and deciding whether to go split phase OR keeping single phase 120v and keeping a backup inverter that can become a primary inverter with a few changes to the settings.

With the various bugs, challenges, learning with the 6500EX and DIY Solar, I am proceeding with caution and trying to maintain a stable and reliable system that powers my house while trying to have a test bench / play area.
... from my LV2424s x 4 hooked up in USA 240v split phase, and initial use of the EG5 3000 EHV-48; I can point out one advantage to Parallel Networking for more Amps on your 120 vac Out. Your 120 vac Inverter Generator can be used for a 120vac powered Battery Charge Cycle (that might be useful on long periods of clouds). The 240vac split phase I have set up is needed for my 1/2 hp 240vac Well pump that is too far away to convert to 120vac. When you Configure two All In Ones for 240vac split phase, your 120vac Inverter Generator will not be able to use the Internal Grid powered Battery Charger of the All In One. When configured for 240 vac Output; You must have 240vac Inverter Gen (or 240vac Grid Power) to use those internal all in one battery chargers. The option for 120vac charge cycle when configure for 240vac split phase is getting a separate battery charger . ... My two cents :+)

I ended up taking down the second 6500. My house loads don't need/use the combined 13kw let alone the 6.5kw. Plus I didn't like the additional idle power consumption of the second 6500.

I agree with Capt Bill that keeping the load center and inverter at 120v means you get to use a cheaper generator. My little 2800w gas inverter generator outputs 120v. That's another reason for me to keep things at 120v.

I ended up taking down the second 6500. My house loads don't need/use the combined 13kw let alone the 6.5kw. Plus I didn't like the additional idle power consumption of the second 6500.

I agree with Capt Bill that keeping the load center and inverter at 120v means you get to use a cheaper generator. My little 2800w gas inverter generator outputs 120v. That's another reason for me to keep things at 120v.
Yes to looking at Idle Consumption: ... on my more recent purchase of my EG4- unit, I noticed there is a power saving mode for night when no ac draw is going on; (my testing showed about 0.9 battery amp draw (for inverter on) reduced to about a 0.1 amp draw. My testing also saw the inverter turn back on when an AC load was applied. ... Some of these setting are fuzzy in my understanding ... until I print out the PDF manual settings page, and write in notes as I configure and experiment ... to understand more .

Last edited:
Back