diy solar

diy solar

Parallel circuit breakers...

Doesn't appear to be UL listed or CE listed so can't be used in Residential/Commercial in the US anyway.....

Looks like if one trips they all trip much like a 240VAC breakers so it might be functionally ok.

Hello,

This site/page: https://watts247.com/product/dc-breaker-4p-125a-battery-disconnect/

states the pols (up to 4) can be wired in parallel to get a higher current breaker. Not being an EE, but around here and there. I always thought it was not possible to parallel breakers or fuses to get a higher disconnect current.

Is this breaker special, or ???
They split the current. Just like wiring two wires to a battery and inverter means that you can use smaller wire.

Hello,

This site/page: https://watts247.com/product/dc-breaker-4p-125a-battery-disconnect/

states the pols (up to 4) can be wired in parallel to get a higher current breaker. Not being an EE, but around here and there. I always thought it was not possible to parallel breakers or fuses to get a higher disconnect current.

Is this breaker special, or ???
Yes, this is a typical scenario.
The current is shared across all poles.
Not perfectly equal, but very close.

OK, it seems if the breakers are assembled as a unit, not two separate devices, it is "acceptable". Good to know.

Anyone recommend a 48 VDC 600 amp circuit breaker, din rail or flush mount, UL approved?

600a and din rail is something I’d stay far far away from.

You’d need full frame for that kind of current and fault interruption capability.

I use breakers for every part of my system.
Except for the two 600a locations. The cost wasn't worth it to me. And I don't have any desire to disconnect 600a of DC, under load.

Thanks for all the replies.
I was leaning towards disconnect switches and fuses.

Last edited:
Assuming you installed DC circuit breakers on the inverter(s) battery connection, which direction did you consider the "line"?
Battery is line.
It can deliver the most surge current in a short.

Bought a Chinese pool heater 100a/240v and it had parallel fuses . Took the mains and split each into 3. Figured it's because they can use thinner wire and it being cheaper.

Bought a Chinese pool heater 100a/240v and it had parallel fuses . Took the mains and split each into 3. Figured it's because they can use thinner wire and it being cheaper.
I'm assuming that each pair of fuses went to different loads? Which provided individual protection for the loads.

I'm assuming that each pair of fuses went to different loads? Which provided individual protection for the loads.

Definitely could have been. I believe it's this model but the wiring didn't match the schematics so I haven't installed it yet. I was hoping I could use half power 50a on 1 element so I didn't have to run wiring.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230921_131315_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    Screenshot_20230921_131315_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 2
Definitely could have been. I believe it's this model but the wiring didn't match the schematics so I haven't installed it yet. I was hoping I could use half power 50a on 1 element so I didn't have to run wiring.
According to the schematic, it looks like staged heating. So, you could probably get away with 50a. By disconnecting the second stage.
But this will extend the heating time.

diy solar

diy solar
Back