diy solar

diy solar

Paralleling the EG4 PowerPro Wall battery.

I want to use 1 power wall pro with a rack of 6 eg4 life power batteries. Not sure the best way to connect to the single 18k pv. 2 wires from power pro to inverter and the other 2 from the rack batteries. Or should I use an external bus bar to connect both batteries then to inverter

I'm not sure that's supported by SS, I'd reach out to them to verify and get instructions.

Spacing was mentioned in the proposed indiana 2022 residential code update proposals, actually happy with this.
Do they not go by manufacturer recommended spacing in Indiana right now? I’m in Indiana and currently in the process of installing 2 or 3 PowerPro batteries.

correct
3 batts are imminently getting UL9540, 5 are possible without external busbaring
no reason not to
we do have it planned to stack 2 high
Filterguy is always backed on his input
the stop switch connects to the inverter, battery comms do the rest
EDIT: I’m asking strictly on a battery performance basis not regarding code compliance or if AHJ would approve.

@SignatureSolarJames I want to clarify that it’s okay to stack a few of these PowerPro batteries front to back with little to no spacing instead of side by side?

And as long as they have at least 12” of space on either side and above it should be able to dissipate heat effectively?

Last edited:
EDIT: I’m asking strictly on a battery performance basis not regarding code compliance or if AHJ would approve.

@SignatureSolarJames I want to clarify that it’s okay to stack a few of these PowerPro batteries front to back with little to no spacing instead of side by side?

And as long as they have at least 12” of space on either side and above it should be able to dissipate heat effectively?
You are correct

Do they not go by manufacturer recommended spacing in Indiana right now? I’m in Indiana and currently in the process of installing 2 or 3 PowerPro batteries.
I just had my system inspected in AZ they told me the batteries needed to be 3 ft apart unless the manufacturer says otherwise. I had to supply them with documentation from the manufacturer because my batteries weren't 3 feet apart. Now the question is what happens if you have a mix of batteries. One other note if you mount your battery in the garage you need to have impact avoidance I took a picture of the code book battery storage requirements that the inspector had when he was at my house. See attached.

Attachments

• 20231129_113009.jpg
    20231129_113009.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
One other note if you mount your battery in the garage you need to have impact avoidance
As indeed is required for any electrical or plumbing device like water tanks and well pumps.
Incidentally, my AHJ approved me mounting all of my equipment on an 8 inch step/ ledge that will run across the back of my garage.

I just bought a Powerpro I wanted to connect my two server rack batteries with the Power pro. See attached specs. I know that I can only run one brand of battery in closed loop both are 16 cells. The powerpro is 280ah 200 amp my 2 server rack batteries are 100 amps each 200ah combined. I don't want to cause any issues with my system. I'm running 2 solark 12Ks it looks like the charge and discharge for my combined server racks and the EG4 Power pro have the same specs. Opinions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231222_125855_Acrobat for Samsung~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20231222_125855_Acrobat for Samsung~2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 14
Yes my system is in violation, with my current configuration.

I see 4 violations in my setup currently. I think people are going to get approved with one battery then add more later. Not the best way to do it, but I know they will.
Hi @Will Prowse
How much space do you have between the batteries? Setting aside UL, the manual says:
It is highly recommended to install the battery with at least 12-inch clearance on each side of the battery (back and front sides excluded) to easily access the side panel.

But it looks like you have less:
1703879731275.png

I'll also note that EG4 seems to have less in their photo:
1703879776796.png

Any issues getting into the side panels? How much space would you say is a good minimum?

Thanks!

1703879776796.png

Any issues getting into the side panels? How much space would you say is a good minimum?
I would say there might be just about 12 in between the batteries in their picture.
You don't put those screws back in the side panels, the two thumb screws in the top hold them on after shipping.

Hi @Will Prowse
How much space do you have between the batteries? Setting aside UL, the manual says:
It is highly recommended to install the battery with at least 12-inch clearance on each side of the battery (back and front sides excluded) to easily access the side panel.

But it looks like you have less:
View attachment 185725

View attachment 185726

Thanks!
Mine are 9in apart but yeah do whatever it recommends

Yeah, that picture looks like 12in

My batteries aren’t even attached because I plan to remove one of them and add it to another system in the spring time

Here SS has them for sale.

@Markus_EG4 I think EG4 should sell a Inverter power cables that have the Power Pro battery connector on one end and just the wire for the other end then we can if needed add a lug on the end for the inverter.
So we don't have to by a $98.00 Battery Paralleling Cables set and cut off the connector on one end.

You are correct
That was going to be my next question, can you stack them front-to-back just sitting on the floor without lifting them onto the (bolted to the concrete wall) mounting plate? Doesn't look like they are in danger of tipping over, though wiring them might be difficult without some kind of custom conduit box...

Signature Solar is selling (2) EG4 18kpv inverters and (6) EG4 14K WallMount batteries as a bundle, does that mean that 6 parallel batteries is supported now?

If the batteries (say from left to right) are numbered 1-6, can I connect battery 2 to the first inverter, battery 5 to the second inverter, and use parallel cables between all the batteries?

Does it matter if the battery to inverter cables end up being different lengths? If, say, one of the inverters needs a 7-foot cable because of wall space, should I make up a 7-foot cable set for the other inverter and just fit it into the conduit boxes?

Should I make a set of battery parallel cables to connect 1 and 6?

Thanks!

Signature Solar is selling (2) EG4 18kpv inverters and (6) EG4 14K WallMount batteries as a bundle, does that mean that 6 parallel batteries is supported now?
I think this was always an option and detailed in the manual.
Make sure you download the most up-to-date manual from EG4's website for the latest information, it is being improved all the time.

Back