diy solar

diy solar

Patching hole in garage roof after removing vent - I'm lost!!

You may also need a flat pry bar to pull up nails that are still holding the shingles down where you need to slide the new shingle under the other shingles in that red box @BradCagle showed. Otherwise you may not be able to push the shingle all the way under to make it even with the row. Nice illustration by the way :)

You need to offset each course of singles as you work up-single layer per row. Just think about the offset and do that each course.

I'm not sure that I'm doing this correctly. I've attached a couple of pictures. My main concern is the butt edges.
I've done every row now except for the top row. I made sure that I staggered the shingles so that the edge of one row of shingles would not be aligned with the edge of the one above or below.
I've got the felt underneath. However, after doing what I've done, I'm thinking that the gap between the new pieces and the old, while pretty small, shouldn't be there. However, if I put the new pieces underneath the old, there will be a bulge.
IMG_2684.jpg is an overview. IMG_2681 shows a couple of the butt edges. IMG_2688 shows a butt edge at the top that's the worst one and isn't as "crisp" as the others.
Am I missing something here?

Attachments

• IMG_2684.JPG
    IMG_2684.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2681.JPG
    IMG_2681.JPG
    840.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2688.JPG
    IMG_2688.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 15
Do not slip any under the old ones and make a bulge. It looks like you should cut back that single on second row down on right some so they have a smoother transition. You still need to slip the last row up under the very top row. This is where you need the singles to be warm enough to bend them up to nail off that last row. Right now you have a small area to the right top that shows raw felt so that need to be filled (make it the same plane as the rest) before the top shingle goes over. (think flat all on same plane)

Thanks for your replies @onokai and @acdoctor. I'm not sure I'll redo row 3 with a full shingle but it's good to know that having the small butt edge issue (the small gap) isn't a huge problem.

Just finished replacing both vents yesterday. I think it looks pretty good.
Thanks for all your help everyone!!

Attachments

• IMG_2694 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2694 - Copy.JPG
    399.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2711 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2711 - Copy.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 13
Get the hose out and "test" it! Better to find a leak now instead of some rainy day !
He fixed it in August 2022 - I guess he will have had some rainy days in the subsequent 15 months ;)

This has not had any issues and, yes, I've had plenty of rainy days since then (lol).
Thanks for the suggestions however. I appreciate it.

Back