diy solar

diy solar

PIP 2424LV-MSD inefficiency from Solar panels

Ra Ma Da Sa

I recently received my MPP Solar inverter and after connecting 6 100watt Renogy panels in series and parallel I continue to get a reading that only around 40 to 90watts of power are being detected with proper voltage reading too, the amps are far below what they should be too at about 2. I also noticed that when I turn the unit off it stays running with drastic reduction in panel power produced and load reading not available, also I seem to be unable to change the battery voltage cut off. I have 2220 amp hours of battery with 30%-50% of that being usable and a 200amp fuse. The panels are fused to with one 30amp mc4 fuse, the wires carrying the power are 10AWG because I am well under the amperage of 30. I am soon getting 4 10amp fuses to use with a four way branch connector. I do have another 6 100 watt panels that I am going to be using with this system when I make it to my Travel trailer in the next short while until then I just want to connect everything and be sure the system works as it should. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

Are you running with the loads connected? Try having two or three hundred Watts of loads connected during sunny day, you should see the Wattage goes up.
How did you set the Load power priority and charging source priority setting, battery charging setting?
I have PIP-1212LV-MSD 12V version.

Last edited:
These are Wills setting recommendations
Scroll to bottom

6 Panels in parallel 20v at 30a, 6 panels in series 120 v at 5a
what is the input parameters of that system?
20v will not charge 24v system

6 Panels in parallel 20v at 30a, 6 panels in series 120 v at 5a
what is the input parameters of that system?
20v will not charge 24v system
I am aware that the voltage has to be more then 24volts. My panels are connected in pairs and then parallel for a total of 40volts and 15amps.

I am aware that the voltage has to be more then 24volts. My panels are connected in pairs and then parallel for a total of 40volts and 15amps.
How much load do you have on the system? I have 2250w of panels on the same SCC and it generates about 45w if there is no load and the batteries are charged. It won't make power if there is nowhere for it to go.

I would run your panels 3S2P. Less wiring, smaller wiring, more voltage.

Next time sun is on panels put clamp meter on negitive from panel to unit (unit on). This will give you amp reading. Knowing amp & voltage you can figure wattage. Then check screen on unit and see if it matches. clamp meter will also show you if unit shuts down or not when you power off

Last edited:
How much load do you have on the system? I have 2250w of panels on the same SCC and it generates about 45w if there is no load and the batteries are charged. It won't make power if there is nowhere for it to go.

I would run your panels 3S2P. Less wiring, smaller wiring, more voltage.
That makes sense, I am tomorrow going to power something so their is a load and report back what I get. Thank you iamrich.

That makes sense, I am tomorrow going to power something so their is a load and report back what I get. Thank you iamrich.
He is correct mine does the same. If batterys are full or your over the float setting it will reduce charge current

Last edited:
Th
That makes sense, I am tomorrow going to power something so their is a load and report back what I get. Thank you iamrich
makes sense, I am tomorrow going to power something so their is a load and report back what I get. Thank you iamrich.
I have added a load to the system, a hair dryer and saw that the wattage went up to between 225-275. Still under what I expected with 600 watts connected. I am going to now connect in series 2 sets of three 100 watt panels for a total of 600 watt 40 volt and see what changes

I think your all set now. Sounds like it's working. That 600watts is maximum on perfect day at noon. FYI the boost setting is max voltage to fast charge mode until it reaches float setting. Set as high as you want

Last edited:
. I am going to now connect in series 2 sets of three 100 watt panels for a total of 600 watt 40 volt and see what changes
3Series 2Parallel would be about 54Vmp and 11A
Voc is only used to size your SCC for max voltage.
Renogy 100w panels are about 21 to 22Voc and 18Vmp

Are your 6 panels flat or angled correctly at the sun?

Yes these are Renogy Panels, Laid flat and currently in full sun connected as series of three then parallel, six 100 watt panels in total.a hair dryer for a load and maximum wattage input 287watt

I think your all set now. Sounds like it's working. That 600watts is maximum on perfect day at noon. FYI the boost setting is max voltage to fast charge mode until it reaches float setting. Set as high as you want
Where I am it is Mountain standard time and I am getting a maximum pv input of 287 watt

Yes these are Renogy Panels, Laid flat and currently in full sun connected as series of three then parallel, six 100 watt panels in total.a hair dryer for a load and maximum wattage input 287watt
Ok so try angling them at the sun for a large increase in watts.
Also its winter . . . . .

Where I am it is Mountain standard time and I am getting a maximum pv input of 287 watt
Today is a perfect day too without a cloud in the sky and it is currently 152pm. Wonder if I need to send this Unit back, seems defective or something. Won’t turn off when I flip the switch either

Back