diy solar

diy solar

Planning Services for Permit

jmoles

I’m in Maryland and working out how to get a permit. A couple questions…

Are there any service providers you can recommend that do the permit work so I can get a permit?

Are there any major drawbacks to purchasing Panels, racks, and Microinverters before I get a permit? Or should I hold off on any purchase until after I get an approved permit?

Are there any service providers you can recommend that do the permit work so I can get a permit?

Are there any major drawbacks to purchasing Panels, racks, and Microinverters before I get a permit? Or should I hold off on any purchase until after I get an approved permit?
I would reccomend holding off all purchases until the permit is approved.

I used a contractor my house build, and that’s what he did. If the town or power company kicks anything back because it does not meet specs, you’re stuck with the equipment.

I did a 2.5 kW panel build on my RV by myself, and I am not up to doing a 10 kW build on my house by myself. I thought I could have done it by myself until I saw all the work required to make. Build to code.

Do not buy anything until you get the permit.

Greenlancer will do the service of drafting plan ready submissions. ncsolarelectric on this forum helped me with my install this year, for getting equipment as well as finding a good plan drafting service.

Plans TBH are the biggest lift, other than that you can just call up your AHJ or even blind submit the plans set. Even if you make mistakes that just costs time and maybe some extra review. I can understand that it’s a bit intimidating but really it’s very low consequence to have extra iterations.

PROVIDED YOU DON’T BUY A WHOLE PALLET OF THE WRONG SOLAR PANELS BEFORE APPROVAL.

Grid tie is another important thing to sort out and separate jurisdiction.

Wait until plans are approved before purchasing equipment. Creating Plans can be a time consuming learning curve. Found a good person on Fiverr that did my plans for $50.

Wait until plans are approved before purchasing equipment. Creating Plans can be a time consuming learning curve. Found a good person on Fiverr that did my plans for $50.
$50? Wow. Was it drafting only or also design.

I guess it’s fine if you don’t need stamps. Heck you could just pay someone $50 to double check/get multiple designs to compare.

$50? Wow. Was it drafting only or also design.

I guess it’s fine if you don’t need stamps. Heck you could just pay someone $50 to double check/get multiple designs to compare.

Drafting. Design is covered by diysolarforum and the various tools available including SMA Design Tool. Understand, the draftsman is in India and in some ways easier to deal with ;) Their is ~12 hour delay when asking questions or submitting revisions. Contacted a couple US draftsman and either got ignored or the price was more than I thought it was worth. He made revision changes for free and no money was to be paid until after permit was approved. Approved first pass. Plans were to California NEC. To be honest, printing 2 copies was another $8 at UPS. hahaha

Can you share your Fiverr consultant?

Will pm you. Dont want this to be taken as advertising a service. Also, he is not a consultant. He has solar software and will make plans per the specifications you provide. And you did read that he is in India and their is a day delay when corresponding.

Back