diy solar

diy solar

Planning stage

swfl_extreme

Hello all....my first post, so please go easy on me. Just looking for honest direction. I have a detached garage and a couple other outbuildings that I would like to build a system for. The garage consumption will just be an opener, lights, and a few receptacles (some occasional power tool use, but mainly for charging lithium 18v, 24v, and 60v batteries). The 2nd outbuilding will just be lights and a single receptacle. The 3rd outbuilding will have a circuit to run lights and a receptacle (which will be for a 3000w blow dryer on a very rare occasion).
Ideally, I want to install an AC panel in the garage and run individual circuits/breakers. I have a good understanding of electrical as my father has been a master electrician since the 1970s and I am a former electronics technician in the US Navy. That said, the concept of a solar system is new to me and so I am doing my research. I would appreciate any advice on where I should start. Is there a good "solar kit" that I could start with and then add on later if need be? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a single 6-12kW hybrid inverter w/ 240V split-phase AC might do the trick for you.

Depending on your budget and comfort level with chinese electronics (and, really, whether you think you might grid-tie this system), there are a lot of choices out there ranging from Growatt, MPP, Sol-Ark, etc. Some sites to check out include: santansolar.com, watts247.com, and signaturesolar.com (there are others, but just to name a few of the popular options here).

Edit: As one example of a more budget-oriented inverter.. these Growatt Hybrid inverters are capable of stacking - so while they're only 120v, they can be paralleled for split-phase 240V: https://signaturesolar.com/growatt-5kw-stackable-off-grid-inverter-spf-5000-es/

Edit 2: I didn't explain above, but a hybrid inverter has the benefit of simplifying a solar system. Otherwise, you'll deal with (at a minimum), a separate MPPT charge controller, and a DC -> AC inverter. Often times you'll need additional parts you might not've, if you had gone with a hybrid inverter

Last edited:
I would appreciate any advice on where I should start
The best place to start is by doing an energy audit to determine how much energy you are expecting to use.
With accurate numbers in regards to your expected power consumption, the details of how much solar array, how much battery and how much inverter your need pretty much falls into place.

From there you choose between brands and price points.

The one outbuilding is my wife's grooming area where she will eventually be grooming our (2) standard poodles & (1) labradoodle. She uses a 4.5 HP blow dryer which is 110V @ 3kW.
Is it hardwired or does it use a tt-30 plug or something else?

Sounds like a single 6-12kW hybrid inverter w/ 240V split-phase AC might do the trick for you.

Depending on your budget and comfort level with chinese electronics (and, really, whether you think you might grid-tie this system), there are a lot of choices out there ranging from Growatt, MPP, Sol-Ark, etc. Some sites to check out include: santansolar.com, watts247.com, and signaturesolar.com (there are others, but just to name a few of the popular options here).

Edit: As one example of a more budget-oriented inverter.. these Growatt Hybrid inverters are capable of stacking - so while they're only 120v, they can be paralleled for split-phase 240V: https://signaturesolar.com/growatt-5kw-stackable-off-grid-inverter-spf-5000-es/

Edit 2: I didn't explain above, but a hybrid inverter has the benefit of simplifying a solar system. Otherwise, you'll deal with (at a minimum), a separate MPPT charge controller, and a DC -> AC inverter. Often times you'll need additional parts you might not've, if you had gone with a hybrid inverter
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking a 4-5kW inverter would be enough because it's VERY rare that ALL circuits will ever be being used at the same time. Thus far my research has definitely pointed me to a hybrid MPPT charger/Inverter. I am also trying to determine if I should do split phase 240V to the AC panel and then all 120V circuits off of that.

A standard 3 prong plug should not exceed 15 amps.
Agreed. This is actually the least of my concerns in this system because I already told my wife that since she only uses it about once a month, we could just use one of our 5500W gas generators when she needs to use it.

Agreed. This is actually the least of my concerns in this system because I already told my wife that since she only uses it about once a month, we could just use one of our 5500W gas generators when she needs to use it.
My guess is it pulls no more than 1500 watts.
If it does, then the company that makes it should be bonked in the ear.

Back