diy solar

diy solar

Please help me reconcile difference between what I've read here about Growatt and what Sig Solar tech told me today

I'm planning a system for my new-to- me trailer. I'm leaning toward individual components, even separate inverter, shore power and pv chargers. The shore power one will be switched and only used as a backup. Old school.

The tech specified that the inverter had to be on during our call, not standby.

Being turned off refers to the power switch on the unit. When turned off you have no AC output or AC charging. It would be odd if your unit does not charge from PV while the switch is off (but battery connected and PV connected) since many of these units do.
I've had both inverters turned off (power switch off) for several hours now. Even though it's been cloudy and raining some, there have been some breaks where I should have seen at least a little charging going on. There has been zero. So I'm going to have to stick with my original premise that these inverters do not charge the batteries when powered down. This is without AC input but with the batteries powered up and PV connected. PV voltage is still present but PV current is zero and battery voltage went flat and remained so after powering down. This doesn't mean the Growatt inverters are the same, but based on everything I've seen on the Voltronics specifications I'm inclined to believe they are.

I've had both inverters turned off (power switch off) for several hours now. Even though it's been cloudy and raining some, there have been some breaks where I should have seen at least a little charging going on. There has been zero. So I'm going to have to stick with my original premise that these inverters do not charge the batteries when powered down. This is without AC input but with the batteries powered up and PV connected. PV voltage is still present but PV current is zero and battery voltage went flat and remained so after powering down. This doesn't mean the Growatt inverters are the same, but based on everything I've seen on the Voltronics specifications I'm inclined to believe they are.
From what I’ve gathered is pv input has to hit a certain level for it to start in the off mode I’m hoping that the weather is keeping it off or the lv6548 are different than the 2424mds it would be nice if you could check it again on a good pv day and report back I’m still a few days from bringing mine on line ( near 0 temps and windy so I’m waiting to set up panels I’m getting soft in my old age) hopefully I’ll get the system up soon, but my manual says it will but if it doesn’t I’m going to be pissed ?

Curious why would you switch it on and off when building a 48v system with a 3000w inverter/ charger. Add another panel or 2 if possible and leave it on, idle draw is just part of living off grid.

Heck, my system is small compared to some that feel they need 48v in an rv and at 12v 500ah with 3000w inverter/ charger, 1280w solar and the system has never been turned of in 7 years of continuous use drawing 25w or 2ah with plenty of daily power of any appliance in the rv at any time unless a couple days of poor solar production than a hold over charge from the 2200w generator fills the void.

Curious why would you switch it on and off when building a 48v system with a 3000w inverter/ charger. Add another panel or 2 if possible and leave it on, idle draw is just part of living off grid.

Heck, my system is small compared to some that feel they need 48v in an rv and at 12v 500ah with 3000w inverter/ charger, 1280w solar and the system has never been turned of in 7 years of continuous use drawing 25w or 2ah with plenty of daily power of any appliance in the rv at any time unless a couple days of poor solar production than a hold over charge from the 2200w generator fills the void.
Thanks...in my OP I mention that I mostly boondock and only need AC about 30mins/day, so would rather not be draining battery 23.5 hrs/day

Thanks...in my OP I mention that I mostly boondock and only need AC about 30mins/day, so would rather not be draining battery 23.5 hrs/day
I only boondock. Longest continously stretch was just shy of 3 years. My last hookup in this stretch was Nov 5, 2021. If you only need 30 minutes aday why 48v?

I only boondock. Longest continously stretch was just shy of 3 years. My last hookup in this stretch was Nov 5, 2021. If you only need 30 minutes aday why 48v?
As mentioned in my OP...:rolleyes:...I want to have flexibility to expand to a shade-structure or cabin in the future

Back