diy solar

diy solar

Post a picture of your vehicle MPPT wiring?

LTLking

I'm not sure on how to wire the MPPT positive line to battery, inverter, and load.
I know it's similar. Just want to make sure it's right due to hardware differences.

Here’s what I have so far.
I'm going to move the neg battery to the switch. I don't have the battery and board in place to get the right distance.
I just wanted to see the MPPT power up.

Attachments

• IMG_0760.jpeg
    IMG_0760.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 35
I can't follow the wiring on that.
I edited the post.
Looking for wiring MPPT to bus, and other bus, load, inverter, battery.
Up on ceiling is mppt (left) to Lynx shunt/distributor where everything connects to

This is why I’m looking for actual pictures.
Where’s the fuses, bus bars and what else is missing.
I’d like to see 1 not victron.
I can find those everywhere.
Where’s all the others.

Where’s the fuses, bus bars and what else is missing
Don't use the low cost breaker shown, they are unreliable.

I posted a schematic diagram, follow that.
Before you do anything else, disconnect the negative wire at the battery. Reconnect this last, when the rest of the DC circuit is complete. This will prevent accedental shorts whilst working on the system. If at any stage you wish to make alterations , isolate the solar then battery. Reconnect battery first then solar.
Putting a circuit together is not following pictures, you need understand the resion for each wire and component part and how there are connected.
Follow my diagram and let's consider the battery.
The battery positive connects to the positive buss bar via a 'master' battery fuse and optional isolator. The battery negative (disconnected for now) connects to the negative buss bar. If the optional shunt (for battery monitor) is used connect as shown
Now the inverter, its 2000 watts, 12v. The inverter negative connects to the negative buss bar, the inverter positive connectes to the inverter fuse, then via a very short cable to the positive buss bar.
The MPPT battery negative connection connects to the negative buss bar, the positive connects via a fuse and a very short cable to the bositive buss bar.
The distribution fuse box common negative end is connected to the negative buss bar, the positive to the positive buss bar, again via a fuse.
Consider fuse values and types.
MPPT fuse, as its a 60 amp unit, use a 70 or 80 amp , midi link fuse with holder
Auxiliary fuse box, typically you wont need more the 50A for DC accessories, use a 50 amp Midi fuse with holder.
Inverter fuse, 200 watts at nominal 12v is 170 amps , use a 200 or 225 watt fuse, ANL or Mega with holder.
Master battery fuse, the maximum current will be in the region of 250 amps or lower if the battery has a BMS. Use a 250 amp
MRBF fuse in a Blue sea holder, bolts on the battery post.
Once all this is connected up , check carefully the wiring matches the schematic diagram.

Now energise the circuit by connecting the negative wite to the battery post. ( and turning on the battery isolator if fitted.)

At this stage the Inverter and 12v ancillaries should work, and the MPPT should show signs of life.

Now consider the solar. Connect the panel string to the MPPT an isolation switch in series with the positive.

Cables have not been considered. Estimate the maxinum current and select the the cable from this chart.

Any questions?

Mike

Last edited:
Don't use the low cost breaker shown, they are unreliable.

I posted a schematic diagram, follow that.
Before you do anything else, disconnect the negative wire at the battery. Reconnect this last, when the rest of the DC circuit is complete. This will prevent accedental shorts whilst working on the system. If at any stage you wish to make alterations , isolate the solar then battery. Reconnect battery first then solar.
Putting a circuit together is not following pictures, you need understand the resion for each wire and component part and how there are connected.
Follow my diagram and let's consider the battery.
The battery positive connects to the positive buss bar via a 'master' battery fuse and optional isolator. The battery negative (disconnected for now) connects to the negative buss bar. If the optional shunt (for battery monitor) is used connect as shown
Now the inverter, its 2000 watts, 12v. The inverter negative connects to the negative buss bar, the inverter positive connectes to the inverter fuse, then via a very short cable to the positive buss bar.
The MPPT battery negative connection connects to the negative buss bar, the positive connects via a fuse and a very short cable to the bositive buss bar.
The distribution fuse box common negative end is connected to the negative buss bar, the positive to the positive buss bar, again via a fuse.
Consider fuse values and types.
MPPT fuse, as its a 60 amp unit, use a 70 or 80 amp , midi link fuse with holder
Auxiliary fuse box, typically you wont need more the 50A for DC accessories, use a 50 amp Midi fuse with holder.
Inverter fuse, 200 watts at nominal 12v is 170 amps , use a 200 or 225 watt fuse, ANL or Mega with holder.
Master battery fuse, the maximum current will be in the region of 250 amps or lower if the battery has a BMS. Use a 250 amp
MRBF fuse in a Blue sea holder, bolts on the battery post.
Once all this is connected up , check carefully the wiring matches the schematic diagram.

Now energise the circuit by connecting the negative wite to the battery post. ( and turning on the battery isolator if fitted.)

At this stage the Inverter and 12v ancillaries should work, and the MPPT should show signs of life.

Now consider the solar. Connect the panel string to the MPPT an isolation switch in series with the positive.

Cables have not been considered. Estimate the maxinum current and select the the cable from this chart.

Any questions?

Mike
You posted a diagram without fuses and bus bars.

Where’s the actual pictures of peoples actual setup showing where all the connections are?

Not victron. I can find those anywhere.

I still have connections in my setup I don’t know where they go. IMG_0764.jpeg

Ok here is a pic as currently running:
IMG_0153.jpeg
204Ah 2P4S
JBD 100A BMS
2A Heltec balancer (I have no idea what it does, if anything)
Victron 100/30
330W solar (165W x 2 in series)
Busman breaker (pictured) to 600W inverter
Solar cutoff in lower left.

Connected to pre-lithium PD-4645 converter. Rarely have shore power so 95%+ solar charged and maintained.

Back