diy solar

diy solar

Power station build - choosing battery

Yep. And they come in stainless and with good carrying cases. Though mine fills up the trailer with CO much faster than I would have guessed. The meter starts to climb immediately. Absolutely open the door and window.

Canisters are cheapest at the Chinese markets.

Would you mind helping me understand, why a 24V system is better, or even why it is intended to use?
I have no idea what even differentiates them 😅

Some examples:

Solar charge controllers are rated by the maximum input voltage from the solar panel array, and the maximum output current to the battery or fuse block.

So for instance a bogart solar charge controller is rated for 30 amps out into the pack. Same with a victron 100 / 30.

In a 12 volt system, ( 30 amps ) x ( 12 volt ) ~ 350 watts max panels it can support.

In 24 volts pack, ( 30 amps ) x ( 24 volt ) ~ 700 watts of panels can be supported with the exact same hardware and wiring.

If you wanted to support 700 watts of solar panels in a 12 volt system, you would need to purchase a much more expensive, much larger charge controller.

( 700 watts ) / ( 12 volts) ~ 60 amps, so at least a victron ___ / 50, which is much more expensive and heavy. Heavier, less flexible wiring, etc.

USB port output capability.

Newer phones and devices can charge faster via usb than before.

In order to do this, the voltage of the USB is higher than the original ~ 5 volts.

The USB ports on the market that can do this tend to need 24 volts to get there vs if you feed them with 12 volts, they usually can't go higher than traditional USB port charge rates.

In terms of your battery capacity:

A single 300 amp-hr, 12 volt battery. ( 300 amp-hr ) x ( 12 volt ) ~ 3 000 watt-hrs.

Two each, 100 amp-hr , 12 volt batteries. ( 2) x ( 12 volt ) x ( 100 amp-hrs) ~ 2 000 watt-hrs.

It does not matter if you wire them as 12 volt or 24 volt, the capacity is the same.

Imagine that you have two cans of beer. If you put them both flat on the table or stack them on top of each other, it is still two cans of beer. The only difference is the height and is narrower.

In terms of your battery capacity:

A single 300 amp-hr, 12 volt battery. ( 300 amp-hr ) x ( 12 volt ) ~ 3 000 watt-hrs.

Two each, 100 amp-hr , 12 volt batteries. ( 2) x ( 12 volt ) x ( 100 amp-hrs) ~ 2 000 watt-hrs.

It does not matter if you wire them as 12 volt or 24 volt, the capacity is the same.

Imagine that you have two cans of beer. If you put them both flat on the table or stack them on top of each other, it is still two cans of beer. The only difference is the height and is narrower.
Thank you!

So in general terms, capacity is capacity, but regarding other stuff such as solar (MPPT), I could get a 30a not a 50a victron, and USB ports are more efficient.

Plus, I save some money on the wires.

Thank you!

These work well:

These just showed up and they probably work fine as well: This is the mini size which is relevant if you want to package this thing.

The Redodo's test out fine as well. Both have a 5 year warranty if they are still around 5 years from now.
I am pretty sure the same company makes both. The manuals are nearly identical, the cases are identical, etc.

These batteries are rated to put out at least 100 ah at 12 volts. So that is 1200 watt hours or 1.2 kwhr. I have a number of these and they all test to at least 102 ah. Some have been just over 105 ah. That's on a tester that draws about 13 amps.

I have had 3 induction hot plates. You will only use 1500 watts if you are bringing gallons of water to a boil.
Otherwise you will be at 1000 watts or less. My plates are 1500 watts and I think I have used the high setting once, only to burn what I was cooking.

If I was going to do what you propose I would stick with packaged batteries. You can't make the case, buy the BMS, buy the cells, wire it and make it into a durable battery on your own for less. Plus these have a warranty of some type. If you make it, you warranty it! :) :)

To understand, you believe I would be ripped off?
Late to reply again sorry, but yes, I believe the probability of getting exactly what you paid for when you are a one-time purchaser are very low. "one-time purchaser" is not a slight or pejorative, its just a fact that you won't be on anyones top-buyer list like a retailer or wholesaler might be, so a seller who has invested little in their reputation or brand would not be losing much if they disappointed you.

There is an exception to this; long standing sellers with a good reputation are a different class of seller. They trade on their reputation in forums like this. @Rednecktek seems to be endorsing @Docan AmyZheng if i'm reading the post correctly, and if that's the case maybe Docan is one of those 'high reputation' sellers. High reputation sellers have invested a lot of time and effort into their brand. Their brand may just be their username, or it may be the company they represent. They build their brand by delivering exactly what they say, and your part of the deal is to say this on a public forum - you win by getting what you paid for, they win by building their brand.

I can only speak for NZ in general. The "wisdom" passed on through society is that (figuratively) everyone lives in a small town, and cheaters will get found out and will eventually lose. This is terrible wisdom to pass on when the internet became ubiquitous, and the "cost" of being found out as a cheater is to ditch your aliexpress sellers account and start a new one. There is no entry fee on Aliexpress - just the sale commission fee. The cost of cheating on a trade is maybe an apology email, maybe a partial refund. The profit is enormous in comparison to the cost

Late to reply again sorry, but yes, I believe the probability of getting exactly what you paid for when you are a one-time purchaser are very low. "one-time purchaser" is not a slight or pejorative, its just a fact that you won't be on anyones top-buyer list like a retailer or wholesaler might be, so a seller who has invested little in their reputation or brand would not be losing much if they disappointed you.

There is an exception to this; long standing sellers with a good reputation are a different class of seller. They trade on their reputation in forums like this. @Rednecktek seems to be endorsing @Docan AmyZheng if i'm reading the post correctly, and if that's the case maybe Docan is one of those 'high reputation' sellers. High reputation sellers have invested a lot of time and effort into their brand. Their brand may just be their username, or it may be the company they represent. They build their brand by delivering exactly what they say, and your part of the deal is to say this on a public forum - you win by getting what you paid for, they win by building their brand.

I can only speak for NZ in general. The "wisdom" passed on through society is that (figuratively) everyone lives in a small town, and cheaters will get found out and will eventually lose. This is terrible wisdom to pass on when the internet became ubiquitous, and the "cost" of being found out as a cheater is to ditch your aliexpress sellers account and start a new one. There is no entry fee on Aliexpress - just the sale commission fee. The cost of cheating on a trade is maybe an apology email, maybe a partial refund. The profit is enormous in comparison to the cost

Thank you for this in-depth reponse! Appreciated!

Back