diy solar

diy solar

Power Supply for Shore Power

Psyckosama

Can anyone suggest a nice, simple, and hopefully not to expensive power supply to use for supplying a Lithium battery bank with shore power?

I'm going to be setting up 271ah at 12v and will be using a Renogy DCC50S to charge it.

Would it be acceptable to get a 12v switching power supply and hook it up to the Alternator line to charge while the vehicle is off?

Can anyone suggest a nice, simple, and hopefully not to expensive power supply to use for supplying a Lithium battery bank with shore power?

I'm going to be setting up 271ah at 12v and will be using a Renogy DCC50S to charge it.

Would it be acceptable to get a 12v switching power supply and hook it up to the Alternator line to charge while the vehicle is off?
I can attest to the value and quality of this unit, which I recently purchased on amazon.

Attachments

• BFF48BA4-7A3B-42F9-BE97-5FCD9C9F3851.png
    BFF48BA4-7A3B-42F9-BE97-5FCD9C9F3851.png
    318 KB · Views: 38
You don’t want a power supply for that application- you want a 12v lithium charger.

If you leave a power supply on - it will keep charging the batteries-at a very low rate - but charging still until the cells are overcharged.

You want a charger that will go to float - so the cells are not being charged.

If you need an inverter- look for a inverter/charger. If not look for a lithium battery charger.

I like Victron products- they have a 12v battery charger IP65 in 4,5,7,10, and 15 amps. Low amps, but if you have the time - then it will work.

I like running mean well power supplies in to my MPPTs as PV input. Been doing it for over a year with a meanwell 600w 24v power supply and just received a 48v version that's a little more compact. I don't foresee ever needing a dedicated lithium battery charger for shore power. If you put quick disconnects on your PV input (anderson powerpoles, xt60/90, whatever) you can swap between panels and power supply in a second. It's just like charging with solar, so your charge profile applies all the same.

I am going to use the Victron IP22. https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/blue-smart-ip22-charger

It will be installed on its own directlY to the 200AH Li battery, not my starting battery. The DC-DC MPPT will take care to top off the starter battery. If I ever do need to use the shore power for the starting battery I will just re-wire and change the settings for the difference charge profile.

I like running mean well power supplies in to my MPPTs as PV input. Been doing it for over a year with a meanwell 600w 24v power supply and just received a 48v version that's a little more compact. I don't foresee ever needing a dedicated lithium battery charger for shore power. If you put quick disconnects on your PV input (anderson powerpoles, xt60/90, whatever) you can swap between panels and power supply in a second. It's just like charging with solar, so your charge profile applies all the same.
I'm pretty interested in doing this. I just bought a rsp-750-15, that was recommended for my electrodacus. Is it suitable for running into an mppt? If not what should I be looking for? I was looking at the renogy dcdc mppt for my van.

I'm pretty interested in doing this. I just bought a rsp-750-15, that was recommended for my electrodacus. Is it suitable for running into an mppt? If not what should I be looking for? I was looking at the renogy dcdc mppt for my van.
Unless I'm mistaken, that's a 15 volt power supply. My MPPT and probably Renogy as well won't kick on charging unless the input voltage is a few volts above battery voltage, more than 15 for a 12v setup

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a 15 volt power supply. My MPPT and probably Renogy as well won't kick on charging unless the input voltage is a few volts above battery voltage, more than 15 for a 12v setup
It is 15v. I bought it because I couldnt figure out if I could use a power supply with an mppt. I would get a 24v version instead. if i do switch in the future what am I looking for feature wise in a power supply?

It is 15v. I bought it because I couldnt figure out if I could use a power supply with an mppt. I would get a 24v version instead. if i do switch in the future what am I looking for feature wise in a power supply?
I think you're good with a 24v power supply. I know this technique isn't doable on many (possibly all) PWM controllers. Just see what the voltage range of your MPPT PV input is (something like "max 75 volts") and buy a power supply smaller than that. Probably a 24 or 48v. Not sure about features, if the voltage is supported by the mppt and the wattage is high enough, ex: Meanwell 600w 24v power supply, it should be fine. Just get something well reviewed because there are a lot of junk power supplies out there

If you leave a power supply on - it will keep charging the batteries-at a very low rate - but charging still until the cells are overcharged.

That`s would be the case with lead accid.
You can only overcharge a LFP cell with a higher voltage. When you set the charger 14 volts, The current stops when the Cell reach 14. Current stops.
With lead you always charge with a higher voltage than the batteries can reach.

I'm looking at roughly the same issue as you. What I'm likely to place money on in the next few daze is a Gopower GPC-55-MAX. They make these things from 35 to 100A. I just think the 55A is a sweet spot in terms of price and output. What I like is that you can run them in constant fixed voltage mode. Unless someone comes along to convince me I'm missing something I mean to supply my DCC30 with 14V and no stages. Zero. I believe the DCC30 should take care of the lithium charging profile from there on.

You don’t want a power supply for that application- you want a 12v lithium charger.

If you need an inverter- look for a inverter/charger. If not look for a lithium battery charger.

I like Victron products- they have a 12v battery charger IP65 in 4,5,7,10, and 15 amps. Low amps, but if you have the time - then it will work.
What about connecting it to my DC to DC charger? Basically the same input as the alternator. After all, if I'm going to be running the engine I'm not going to be running the PSU.

Back