diy solar

diy solar

Power supply over volted batteries at 4.6v

limeandcoconut

Hey y'all, long time lurker here. Thanks for being cool.

Just got some new cells and was top balancing following the wiki. New grade A 230ah cells from the recommended ali store. Started at 3.23V and left the bench power supply on at 3.40v pushing 2.1a. Got up this morning to find that despite reading the same on the display my multimeter said the supply was pushing 4.6v. Obviously I'm very excited about this development.

Any idea how much damage that likely did to those four cells? They've been sitting about an hour right now and read 3.26V.

Any other advice or thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has chimed in on this... If the cells only charged to 3.26v I doubt there is any issues.

Hopefully someone else will chime in

3.26?

Did you measure 4.6 right when you shut off the PS?

How long had you been charging them before?

Did you set your power supply voltage before or after you connected the battery to it?

I've seen something similar on my Wanptek PSU: It will display a voltage higher than set, when pushing higher amps, but doesn't actually output that high voltage.
I think this is due to wiring that goes to the battery. Although I have 14AWG wire with crimped lugs, whenever I push more than 5 amps to a Lifepo4, the voltage displays a higher voltage. This may be due to the small terminals on the PSU itself.

When the PSU reaches CV mode, with less amps, the voltage displayed is more accurate.

Maybe you should check your wires and make sure they are proper guage for the amps you are pushing. Certainly do not use the crocodile clip wires that came with the PSU. They are usually very low quality and not suitable for more than an amp or two.

Make sure you set proper voltage before connecting the battery, and check the PSU output voltage with a DMM just to make sure it's fairly calibrated.

diy solar

diy solar
Back