diy solar

diy solar

Powering backyard shed- mini-off grid system vs running house power

Zimm

I'm planning to build a tractor shed/work shop in my backyard- probably a 12x20. I can get around a building permit if I don't run house power to it. Which got me thinking, might it be easier to do a mini-off grid system instead of permits, digging, conduit, etc to run 120VAC out to it? I only intend to run some LED "florescent" ceiling lights, and a couple of outlets to run a multi-bank trickle charger to keep the lawn equipment topped up. I think a 200 watt panel, small inverter/solar charger and probably just a deep cycle AGM battery are all that would be needed. The AGM would handle winter a little better than an unheated lipo. Location is central Virginia.

How complicated do you want to make this? Just as a thought, what about an MPP 1012 and 400-600w of solar panel? That would give you plenty of power for lights and battery chargers plus up to a circular saw but not a huge overhead on standby power. A couple AGM's or WallyWorld DC29's for $100ea gets you 120ah of usable power for the same price (or less) than a 100a AGM or LFP.

Panels are cheap, especially if you can find them locally used so go big.

I'm circling back on this project as the shed just got HOA approval to be built. It will be 12x16 and gets lot of sun from mid day through sunset. I need to trickle charge 2 tractor batteries and power some LED lights.

What about a DC only system? I really don't need an inverter, do I? Do they make DC to DC trickle chargers?
What about an all-in-one like an EcoFlow?
Or a small inverter/charge controller and a battery?

The lights would rarely need to be used. And the trickle charger only needs to work when the sun is shining.

Trying to keep this simple and cost effective.

I'm not finding any dual bank DC-to-DC chargers. My 2 bank battery tender only pulls 2.5 amps max (1.25 per bank). I can't imagine a 4' LED work light pulls much power either. Any math gurus out there can help me size the system?

I'm thinking I need:

A panel or 2 for the roof
Charge controller
Inverter (1000 watt?)
Battery

I did this exact thing for a friend we use 2 Deep cycle marine batteries from Wal-Mart and a makeSkyBlue SCC. Two batteries because I like 24v systems and we put in a small 600 Watt inverter to charge cordless tool batteries. Anyway the system has been up and running for a year now with zero problems. He even leaves a LED porch light on 24/7.

I built a system similar to what @Craig describes (seems to fit your needs) about 6-7 years ago for a shed at a former home, because I didn't need much power there and didn't want to trench in AC. A simple, cheap inverter from Harbor Freight and a Walmart deep cycle (marine) battery fed by Renogy panel and SCC(properly fused and with a disconnect), and I was in business. I'd suggest something similar for you, although I think I might use other mfrs/suppliers given better availability now. Trying to go DC-DC might be a bigger pain than it's worth (even with conversion losses, etc) given that most common tool chargers are designed for AC input. I think I'd also go LiFePO4 battery.

BTW, today (different home in different state) I have upgraded to all Victron components with NewPowa panels from Amazon and Amperetime LiFePO4 batteries while planning for possibly off grid house we're building next year or two. This stuff gets in your blood!

The shed will be built by the end of the month. It'll be 16x12 with 4 windows. So now I'm rethinking my project. I don't even think I need lights in there. Just the double bank trickle charger to keep the tractors topped up. One tractor is set for snow so only runs in the winter, the other is the lawn mower, summer only. The charger pulls up to 2.5 amps, but once the batteries are charged, I imagine it won't use much at all.

Now I'm thinking about just an all-in-one EcoFlow battery thing. I can bring it into the house to charge up, and also take it camping, etc. If charging becomes a hassle, then add a roof solar panel to keep it topped up.

I just had a new idea. If I don't need lights- I don't even need a battery. I can get a solar powered trickle charger and it'll top off the tractor batteries during the day! Now to research those....

For me, it was nice to have a couple of panels and a 12 volt battery. This gives you access to radio, all the light you need, and all the ryobi cordless tools (ryobi sells a 12 volt charger). Could not be simpler.

Add a little victron 12 volt inverter and you can power any small load you want and put a tv out there. costco has a 32” for about $120 that sips power.

Lazy boy recliner and you’re set.

Too bad this isn't a DIY solar forum. This system powers most items and has no battery. I have one in my garage to charge tools and run many AC devices. Two used 30V grid tie panels and a $25 inverter.

I'd throw one of these per vehicle on the roof of the shed:

I have a couple of these, one inside my solar trailer, the other as a porch light outside the solar trailer, run directly off DC, no inverter needed:

They only draw 5w each. Some of these bulbs, another one of those 10w battery maintainers, whatever your preference of 12v battery, and some wiring and switches, and you could have lights for a LONG time, with very little investment. No need for an inverter at all if you're not going to be running tools out there.

I just had a new idea. If I don't need lights- I don't even need a battery. I can get a solar powered trickle charger and it'll top off the tractor batteries during the day! Now to research those....
Includes desulfator for lead acid batteries

My solar hobby started with a 100w panel, 85ah battery and 500w inverter in my back shed (instead of running grid power to it) now I'm hooked and there's no going back :)
Yup!
I have (5)100watt panels, 40amp mppt, (2)100ah lifepo, and all the fixings just sitting in my shed....waiting....

Back