diy solar

diy solar

Preparing for WW3

Well everyday we are getting closer to it.....

My wife and I are thinkers...what do we need to do to have power after an EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) that fries electronics. We are fine now if we lost the grid forever.

My biggest worry is my hybrid inverter and needing it the most of everything in the house....should I by a spare or just have a spare off grid inverter?...

We bought our steel garbage can yesterday with foil tape to put all electronics in if we do get a heads up that an EMP is coming...

All the other electronics aren't really needed. Phone's only work if there are cell towers, which they will be gone. My micros I could get along without. My charge controllers I could string panels to directly charge batteries if needed.....wife would likely want a spare Keurig....hahah

Anyone else thinking about this and have ideas? It is horrible what is going on in Ukraine.....so sad....
When the guns go off, your life should be your biggest concern, not your hybrid inverter, well, that's not funny at all.
War is cruel, may the world be at peace!

I am far more worried about water and then food assuming I can breathe. Lights and A/C I can do without.
Living in a populated area I assume the end will be near instant if it comes to it.

Ukraine's largest nuke is on fire now after a Russian missile strike. ?
It's really becoming apparent how inept and poorly trained the Soviet army is. No one in command of the squad thought that this would be a bad idea? Russia is going to inherit a wrecked country full of potential ethnic Russian terrorist that are going to wage a terror campaign on them for decades.
Good luck finding out who is who when your enemy can just drive into your country and blend right in.

Well, since anything that's powered on will potentially get fried, the easy way is to build your own solar generator for the loads you want, then disconnect the batteries so nothing is charged. For extra safety enclose in a metal box that is well grounded.

When things light off, raid the local WalMart/AutoStore/Etc for some FLA batteries, plug them in and everything should fire right up.

Lithium will probably be toast when the BMS's get fried, so stick with good old lead acid.
Don't absolutely need a bms for lith's. Setting the charger under the overcharge limit will work & manual monitoring to be sure they don't get overdischarged is a bit more of a chore but after an emp, everything will be a chore. Of course, having spare protected bms's is another option.

I was thinking a cheap growatt 5000es with transformer wrapped in foil and plastic would be a good backup to a primary UL rated system as it is cheap and at that point it will be off grid!

Most everyone has electric pumps for water and that should be people's main priority. Get a backup well pump and wrap it in foil and plastic several layers. Also get an emergency well pump that is manual. You can worry about food and everything else for a long time as long as you have water. This manual pump is particularly important with Nuke winter or supervolanic winter for a year or two. At that point stored firewood and fuels and food will take priority. Really can't guess how much solar you can get from a nuke or volanic winter so I'd just assume it's 0.
I'm not positive but I think well pumps would survive an emp. There's no electronics in them. it's just a motor. Electronics are the vulnerable items.

Well everyday we are getting closer to it.....

My wife and I are thinkers...what do we need to do to have power after an EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) that fries electronics. We are fine now if we lost the grid forever.

My biggest worry is my hybrid inverter and needing it the most of everything in the house....should I by a spare or just have a spare off grid inverter?...

We bought our steel garbage can yesterday with foil tape to put all electronics in if we do get a heads up that an EMP is coming...

All the other electronics aren't really needed. Phone's only work if there are cell towers, which they will be gone. My micros I could get along without. My charge controllers I could string panels to directly charge batteries if needed.....wife would likely want a spare Keurig....hahah

Anyone else thinking about this and have ideas? It is horrible what is going on in Ukraine.....so sad....
Yep, thinking much the same here. I got a steel shipping container I can put spare panels, chargers, inverters, bms's & whatever to weather an emp.

There's no electronics in them. it's just a motor. Electronics are the vulnerable items
Anything electromagnetically active. That’s why the telegraph wires burned in the 1800s or whenever that was
Ukraine's largest nuke is on fire now after a Russian missile strike. ?
that's what happens when plenty of groups warned about this. First ‘we’ didn’t respond in 2014 with a nato presence. Then in 2018 plenty of anti-war groups wrote lengthy opinions warning the world after the Kerch Strait incident and nobody did anything, and then current pres went around for recent weeks crying, “The Russians are coming! the Russians are coming!” and did nothing.
The Russians have 200 recent years of history acting militarily like it’s still the 10th century and they want their own version of the Byzantine Empire.

Back on topic... :)

Here is my small metal can homemade faraday bucket. Holds the Bluetti components and 3 GMRS radios.

Unfortunately the AC200P will (barely) not fit in a large metal garbage can. I will probably end up wrapping the original boxes (including B200) in a crap ton of foil. Who knows if it will work.
20220303_225231.jpg

Here is my small metal can homemade faraday bucket. Holds the Bluetti components and 3 GMRS radios.

Unfortunately the AC200P will (barely) not fit in a large metal garbage can. I will probably end up wrapping the original boxes (including B200) in a crap ton of foil. Who knows if it will work.
View attachment 86022
Maybe the Chinese can start shipping their products this way? Would save time and effort on our end and save labor costs too!. ;)

View attachment 86022
You need to wrap individual device with non conductive material then with heavy duty aluminum foil (3 layers) before you put in the metal trash can. You can test it with AM radio in the can (with and without aluminum layer).

3 pages now and careening toward 4 pages with abandon! ;)
Teetering on the edge it is.:cool: The theys are watching you.

Doesn't anybody dig a hole in the ground anymore? Mother earth will do a lot of the protecting if you let her. The good ole caveman hid from all kinds of stuff, and survived.

Back