diy solar

diy solar

Problems using gas generator to charge battery

cgreen

I'm wanting to use my DuroStar 3300W gasoline generator to charge my 48V 200ah 9.6kWh LiFePO4 battery using the AC input via my all-in-one Eco-worthy 48V 3500W hybrid inverter.

I have no trouble charging the battery via the electrical grid when connecting through the AC input into the inverter, but I'm wanting to cut ties completely with the grid. On cloudy days I'm having trouble charging the battery with my solar panels.

When I connect the generator to the inverter, it recognizes it as AC input. It charges for about 30 seconds, then stops. A few mins later, it starts charging again for a few seconds, then stops. If I let it continue, the inverter will eventually throw a Fault Code 15 ("AcOverCurrHw" -
Inverter overcurrent hardware protection) and shuts down.

The inverter shows the input voltage fluctuating between 122v and 125v from the generator. I've read where it is possible to connect gas powered generators to systems in order to charge batteries as a backup. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I have reached out to Eco-worthy but have not received a response. Thanks!

If it is like growatt when charging you are also powering loads from generator. So definitely try backing down change amps. Also reduce loads.

If it is like growatt when charging you are also powering loads from generator. So definitely try backing down change amps. Also reduce loads.
When I tried it today, I didn't have any load on the inverter; I was using grid power to run my house while experimenting with the generator. I will try adjusting the charging amps setting and let you know. Thanks!

The issue is probably how "clean" the power is from the durostar. Lots of voltage and frequency fluctuation from those little sets. They will destroy plug in power equipment fairly quickly, and those tools are designed for dirty power.

Those lithiums will take as much amps as possible.

Also most chargers have 0.7 power factor so you have to derate accordingly.

So 3300 generator (running not starting watts) x 0.7 , 2310 ÷56v = 41.25 amps

So set you cc to limit to somewhere between 30 and 40.

Start at 30a dc in settings and work your way up until either the low hz trips off at whatever the cc is set to, or you trip the breaker on the Genet, then back off until you don't pop the breaker.

Assuming North America. Where power is 120VAC/240VAC 60 Hz.
All Inverter/Charger systems which can accept GenSet power have setting for frequency & voltage spread. A-Typically, 58-62 Hz is the operational window, beyond that "things get weird" IE digital cocks go faster/slower, electric motors make horrible sounds (out of phase = damage) and such. Therefore these systems will DISABLE "dirty power". Advanced Inverter/Chargers will have programmable settings for Frequency & Voltage Ranges and when to cutoff/

A Construction Grade Generator is NOT Pure Sine and is not filtered so do be aware of that. Per the specs below, RUNNING AMPS @ 120VAC = 27.5A and that's pushed to limit. In reality do NOT exceed 25A Draw from this unit, or will burn it up fast.

PEAK AMPS @ 120V33.33
RUNNING AMPS @ 120V27.50
AMPERAGE27.50A
VOLTAGE120V
FREQUENCY60Hz

I use GENSET Backup for charging. On my 24V LFP system, I use my Samlex Inverter/Charger to "do the deed". I've programmed it to charge my bank @ 80A (it also provides pass-through power to house, concurrently). When charging, it is pulling 120VAC/22-25A from the L5:30 Line off the genset. My Genset is a 7200/9000 because I use it for MIG & Compressor work and more as well.

Hope it helps

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Today, I changed the settings on the inverter for AC power max amps. It was defaulted to 40A. I was able to change it to 25A and connect via the 30A plug on the generator. The inverter only allows the amps to be changed in increments of 5, so 25A is the highest I can get; setting it at 30A created the same fault. I really appreciate everyone's help. I knew it had to be something simple, but just didn't know what. But it all makes sense, now.

Back