diy solar

diy solar

PV combiner box

JWLV

-.-. --.-
I am looking for some recommendations on a combiner box.

Every combiner box I’ve looked at has a limit of 15a per string. My strings happen to be 16.5a. I currently have a 4 string combiner box that is 15a but I replaced the fuses with a 25a. This isn’t the best way to go, but it works for now. I want to replace it with a combiner box that is properly sized. I prefer to get a box that is at least 20a per string.

Looking for suggestions.

Last edited:
Commercially available ones come setup for 15A, and that's all they are warranted for.
You could build your own from an enclosure, some din rails and fuseholders.

Commercially available ones come setup for 15A, and that's all they are warranted for.
You could build your own from an enclosure, some din rails and fuseholders.

That is what I kind of expected and wanted to avoid. But it looks like I will have to build one myself.

This is what I just recently installed: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVCZTMXP

Unfortunately that's still 15A per string.

From the product description:
Equipped with photovoltaic special 9AWG cable, Maximum 15A single array input, 25A fuse, 125A circuit breaker, more tolerable for high combined current,high voltage resistance, and providing short circuit fault protection and overvoltage and overcurrent protection.

MidNite does have an extensive line of PV Combiners, as @740GLE mentioned, here are some of them:

EDIT: I cannot get a direct PV Combiner Link to work: So, in the Product Search box, type, ' PV Combiner '

Like almost all MidNite products, they are generally ETL Listed. usually in a metal box, with a deadfront.

Luke

Last edited:
Unfortunately that's still 15A per string.

From the product description:
Equipped with photovoltaic special 9AWG cable, Maximum 15A single array input, 25A fuse, 125A circuit breaker, more tolerable for high combined current,high voltage resistance, and providing short circuit fault protection and overvoltage and overcurrent protection.
Oops! Missed that.
Are the individual components of your current box capable of handling the current? If so, there's no point in continuing to use it, no? (e.g. what's the difference between that and making your own)
Are your strings 16.5 amps because you have panels in parallel before they connect to the box?

Anything ever come up on this one?

Looking for a 20-25A 2 in 1 out or 4 in 2 out setup myself. So far Dihool and 1 is orher box is all I've seen that isnt build you own or watts247. I was considering a watts247 brand but read some negatives about superheated diodes.

I’ll likely go with the dihool for my plans unless I find something else that fits my needs, budget, and doesn’t require piecemeal projecting it together.

Back