diy solar

diy solar

PV DC Breaker Sizing for 6500ex MPPT

jfharper

We size the PV DC breakers for the Max input amperage rating of the MPPT, not the wire size, correct?

With a Max Input Current Draw = 18A per MPPT, would it be better to go 16amp DC breaker or 20amp? Someone posted go close and a bit over, but I just didn't want to risk damaging the AIO. I know you stay under for the volts calculated for temp, but wasn't sure about the current. The panels will be single series wired and rated at no more than Isc = 13.70 A at STC, I couldn't find the Imp for the highest rated panel, but the ELECTRICAL DATA at Nominal Module Operating Temperature (NMOT) was less then the stated 13.70A.

Similarly, how would I size the SPD? 20KA, 40KA?

Last edited:
Manual recommends a 30 amp breaker, NEC calculations for an 13.7 amp Isc result in needing a 25 amp breaker. Per NEC breaker size must be greater then the Isc @ STC multiplied by 1.56

there is no requirement to have over current protection on a single string of panels, so all you really need is a disconnect switch, such a the IMO pv disconnects, but could be a breaker as well.

Back