diy solar

diy solar

PV generation stopped after smart meter installation

ZAK1977

Hi Folks,

My Givenergy Gen 3 5kW inverter and 9.5kW batter together with 15 panels was installed about 6 weeks ago. The system also includes Tigo CCA monitoring for each panel.
The system was working fine, PV generation was good, all until Octopus sent their smart meter guy for replacement of old type of meters. When I came home, I noticed PV generation was zero. I tried switching the system off and then on, and then one by one of each component (PV isolators, battery, inverter) but still the PV generation does not work.
Octopus say call your local installer or electrician, if they can prove it is due to us, we will compensate for the fault. Givenergy say their system is working so it is not their problem. I have been in touch with the installer but it will take them time to come out as they are a national installer, not local to my area.

Any thoughts anyone ? Appreciate any help.

Attachments

• 20240519_115220.jpg
    20240519_115220.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240519_115234.jpg
    20240519_115234.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240519_115327.jpg
    20240519_115327.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240519_115519.jpg
    20240519_115519.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240519_115756.jpg
    20240519_115756.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 35
The most common fault I've seen when work has been done near the meter is to put the CT clamp sensor back facing the wrong way. It looks to me like it is on the correct wire (incoming Live), but I can't tell if it is the right way round. Symptoms can vary, but may include PV generation appearing to match import.

Unclip the sensor and clip it back on facing the other direction. If that fixes it, great. If not, put it back.

Thank you rpdom, I checked the direction of arrow on CT, unclipped and reversed it but still no joy. I then installed it as it was, (i.e. the flow arrow points away from meter)

Thank you rpdom, I checked the direction of arrow on CT, unclipped and reversed it but still no joy. I then installed it as it was, (i.e. the flow arrow points away from meter)
Probably has to do with you Tigo. It is powered by via AC or DC? if it doesn't detect power, it will not let your panels generate power

Welcome.
I noticed PV generation was zero. I tried switching the system off and then on, and then one by one of each component (PV isolators, battery, inverter) but still the PV generation does not work...
Whilst you wait for the installer to come back, I'd go back to basics and simplify things. Any more info you can share here would be helpful to. I don't know/have a Givenergy system or Tigo optimisers, but I'd try the following..

Initially, ignore the batteries - can try them once PV is being generated.

What happens when your turn on the PV isolator and AC supply to inverter? Does the inverter fire up? Does it have any display showing what it is doing or any error messages or lights?

You say "still the PV generation does not work".. how are you measuring that? Do you have some display on the inverter or remote access to it?

Givenergy say their system is working so it is not their problem.
How are they determining that? Do they have some remote monitoring facility?

What can you see from the Tigo monitoring facility?

Probably has to do with you Tigo. It is powered by via AC or DC? if it doesn't detect power, it will not let your panels generate power
The Tigo CCA router is powered by 240Vac-24Vdc power supply inside the white enclosure next to AC isolator. The green light is solid green indicating the CCA is powered on, and supply healthy. All confusing as to where the issue could be ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-21 104834.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-21 104834.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-05-21 104548.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-21 104548.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2
Welcome.

Whilst you wait for the installer to come back, I'd go back to basics and simplify things. Any more info you can share here would be helpful to. I don't know/have a Givenergy system or Tigo optimisers, but I'd try the following..

Initially, ignore the batteries - can try them once PV is being generated.

What happens when your turn on the PV isolator and AC supply to inverter? Does the inverter fire up? Does it have any display showing what it is doing or any error messages or lights?

You say "still the PV generation does not work".. how are you measuring that? Do you have some display on the inverter or remote access to it?

How are they determining that? Do they have some remote monitoring facility?

What can you see from the Tigo monitoring facility?
Givenergy inverter has LED indications on the front cover showing.. (1) load or supply to home (2) power to/from grid (3) power from/to battery (4) PV generation, i.e. power from panels.
I have turned off the 2 PV isolators (for 2 strings) LEDs status=OFF. Turned ON both the PV isolators, LED status=OFF. Checked Givenergy web monitoring portal, indicating no power from panels. Checked Tigo cloud monitoring, which indicates no power.

Givenergy tech support can monitor my system remotely as the system has been registered with them. Their side has no issues.

Tigo Monitoring shows no power from panels.

That's odd - clearly something is not right and it looks like you have isolated it down to the PV -> inverter side of things.

The following seem, IMHO, contradictory though...
Checked Givenergy web monitoring portal, indicating no power from panels. Checked Tigo cloud monitoring, which indicates no power.

Givenergy tech support can monitor my system remotely as the system has been registered with them. Their side has no issues.

What do they mean by "their side has no issues". I assume they mean they have remotely monitored your system and they confirm that your inverter _is_ generating power from the panels - but that is contradictory to your observation from their web portal, the LED's and the Tigo's. :unsure:

That's odd - clearly something is not right and it looks like you have isolated it down to the PV -> inverter side of things.

The following seem, IMHO, contradictory though...

What do they mean by "their side has no issues". I assume they mean they have remotely monitored your system and they confirm that your inverter _is_ generating power from the panels - but that is contradictory to your observation from their web portal, the LED's and the Tigo's. :unsure:
It means their equipment (inverter and battery) are functioning properly, they have checked this by remotely access to inverter and battery. I do agree with them as I can see this LED status on both operating expected under healthy conditions.

Tigo CCA LED is seen to be solid green when I took the cover off.

See below graphs from Tigo and Givenergy. You can clearly see PV production stopped from around midday on Friday 17th May.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-21 112058.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-21 112058.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-05-21 111709.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-21 111709.png
    490.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-05-21 112307.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-21 112307.png
    98 KB · Views: 7
Givenergy inverter has LED indications on the front cover showing.. (1) load or supply to home (2) power to/from grid (3) power from/to battery (4) PV generation, i.e. power from panels.
I have turned off the 2 PV isolators (for 2 strings) LEDs status=OFF. Turned ON both the PV isolators, LED status=OFF. Checked Givenergy web monitoring portal, indicating no power from panels. Checked Tigo cloud monitoring, which indicates no power.

Tigo Monitoring shows no power from panels.

It means their equipment (inverter and battery) are functioning properly, they have checked this by remotely access to inverter and battery. I do agree with them as I can see this LED status on both operating expected under healthy conditions.

Tigo CCA LED is seen to be solid green when I took the cover off.

See below graphs from Tigo and Givenergy. You can clearly see PV production stopped from around midday on Friday 17th May.
Restart you tigo CCA unit. Also google tigo problems, I have read something similar to your problems online before, I can't remember where I read it.

If it were my system my next step would be to measure to see if you have PV voltage arriving at the inverter. BUT unless you know what you are doing and have the necessary safety equipment, I'd leave that to the installers.

I don't suppose Givenergy are able to remotely monitor incoming PV voltage?

I still don't understand why Givenergy are saying the inverter is working correctly unless they can tell it is receiving PV input and generating power from solar.

After you turn the CT clamp around it might be wise to power everything off and back on again and definitely give it a little while.
The install company is obviously talking bollocks.

I had a Tigo PV module die as the result of the transmitter shutting down production. You might have lost some portion of yours. Using a volt meter to measure incoming PV voltage would be my recommendation, if you have the skill set and tools.

Thank you 400bird.

I am not an electrician but I did manage to put a multimeter across one of the DC isolators, the voltage was about 230V. I could not take the cover off the second isolator ( I have 2 strings) but I imagine one string should have been sufficient to fire the inverter.
The only other thing I can think of is the isolator at the bottom of the inverter, I wonder if this is working ? I cannot take the cover off as this would void the warranty.

I reckon the smart meter installer may have twisted the isolator in wrong direction causing irreparable damage to the isolator maybe ??:fp2

I cannot take the cover off as this would void the warranty.

I reckon the smart meter installer may have twisted the isolator in wrong direction causing irreparable damage to the isolator maybe ??:fp2
Yeah, you need to get the installer to sort you out and if applicable write up the damage the power company did while swapping your meter.

I reckon the smart meter installer may have twisted the isolator in wrong direction causing irreparable damage to the isolator maybe ?
Possible, but...
a) why would the dumb smart meter installer touch the DC side of things? - I would expect them to have simply used the lockable AC grid isolator to disconnect the inverter whilst working on your meter.
b) how come Givenergy are saying that the inverter is working correctly?

I'm struggling with "It's working" when clearly it isn't. Without some sort of wiring diagram, it's tough to say much, but I will mention, at least with my setup, if I have no place to send power my PV will not record any production.

Based on the fact that we replaced our meter, I would guess that the inverter is no longer connected to "the grid" / main panel at whatever tie point, and thus while perfectly capable of feeding power, the inverter is on with no place to put the electrons. Thus we see voltage at the PV points, probably at the AC output as well, just no load on the AC side to pull any current.

I could be totally wrong. . . but it's the only thing that fits replacing the meter causing everything to appear to be functioning, yet it isn't.

Does your setup have a 'critical loads' panel, or do you just backfeed everything to the grid tie and absorb whatever you need from there? If the latter there should be a tie point somewhere that you should be able to follow all the way back to your inverter. If so inclined turn off your inverter completely and test the wires connected to it's "grid" input/output You should read voltage, if not you have your answer, they disconnected your inverter from the grid.

I'm assuming they mean it is not showing any faults on their end.
Exactly! Thus they see an inverter, output ready, no faults. Nothing would have changed from the inverter back to the batteries/PV. OTOH, the power company dinked around on the AC side of the inverter. This should lead one to guess that the CHANGE that occurred on the AC side is the problem. We know they pulled the old meter, and I'm guessing the inverter was connected in parallel somewhere between the meter and the panel, which they have disconnected in some way with all the new wires and boxes connecting that stuff together.

We see the meter L1/L2 feeding two rather small boxes with seal's. Blue and brown. There is also the question of grid-tie protocol being used. The inverter will not allow output if it cannot agree on something there as well. The new meter may be using different signaling.

That's correct, both the inverter and battery are operating as it should. A proof of this that the battery charges fully through the inverter from the grid.
But apparently the inverter is no longer connected to the grid. So the install is broken and does not work anymore.

But apparently the inverter is no longer connected to the grid. So the install is broken and does not work anymore.

I suspect PV isolator at bottom of the inverter is either:

1. Faulty
2. Plastic handle to metal shaft damaged, i.e. not pulling the contacts in

As I am not an electrician, it seems I have to call for help from qualified electrician, keeping my warranty.
Note: Photos are not from actual install but web downloads🐧

Attachments

• Givenergy system PV generation issue.jpg
    Givenergy system PV generation issue.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-05-22 102217.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-22 102217.png
    428 KB · Views: 7
I would guess that the inverter is no longer connected to "the grid" / main panel at whatever tie point, and thus while perfectly capable of feeding power, the inverter is on with no place to put the electrons. Thus we see voltage at the PV points, probably at the AC output as well, just no load on the AC side to pull any current.

But apparently the inverter is no longer connected to the grid

I don't see that as the issue... a grid-tied inverter in the UK has to shut down its AC grid connection if no grid voltage is detected. The OP also says that the batteries can be charged from grid via the inverter.

If I came across a car broken down by the road out of fuel I would not be saying it was working. I would say its not broken but until it has fuel its not going to start.

diy solar

diy solar
Back