diy solar

diy solar

Question about transfer switches

8bitdit

Hey all - I have a van that I mounted a couple of panels to that run down to my Renogy DCC50S. Everything works great, zero problems.

I recently acquired a solar generator that I would also like to charge using my 2 mounted solar panels. Now in my mind I would install a transfer switch between the panels and the DCC50S that would give me the option of selecting panel output to A) the Renogy or B) my solar generator charging inputs.

While this seems like an extremely simple
solution to me, the fact that I cannot
find a switch like this anywhere is making me think that I’m missing something obvious.

Anybody have any thoughts? Thank you!

find a switch like this anywhere is making me think that I’m missing something obvious.
Any 2 pole DC rated switch or even single if you know the common ground....or am I the one missing the obvious?
Automotive relays often provide the current rating without the cost of special dc switches.
Why the need for a switch anyway....just Y connection that can be unplugged or even connected together..the solar generator and CC?

I thought so too about the 2 pole, but again that seems so obvious and I can’t believe I’m the only one trying to do this… The lack of discussion that showed up in all my searches was worrying that perhaps I was missing something and this was a terrible idea…

As for why not just plug in to a Y, a switch is far more elegant ?

As for why not just plug in to a Y, a switch is far more elegant
If something is not necessary why have one?

Connecting elsewhere, like on the battery side of the CC, maybe is more obvious but connecting your way, on the pv side, is safe and simple.

Back