diy solar

diy solar

Question to Will Prowse: what products do you recommend??

GaryRN

To Will Prowse (as seen on Youtube):
I am a Registered Nurse of 38 years : Very much beginner with Solar Panel.
I have one 300 watt SolarPanel (don't plan to buy more):
I wish to have advice on Which products & Watts & Amps should I buy for the following?
#1) Solar Panel Charge Controller??? I'm thinking: MPPT (how many Volts / output Amps???,
#2) BMS for the six 60 W Fortune LFP cells (I will buy next week)?
#3) Inverter (with Brand / Product & how many Watts???).
I will be buying later this week Six 60W Fortune LFP cells (LiFePo4).
I will only use after Hurricanes:
#1) Portable AC (I will us it 4 hr / day),
#2) Portable Humidifier (I will us it 4 hr / day),
#3) LapTop,
#4) very small Emergency Radio.
Thank you
Gary Orrock R.N. in Florida

I'm clearly not Will, but before you buy anything, make sure your 300W panel can produce the power you need. I suggest getting an energy meter like a Kill-A-Watt and plugging in the devices you want to use and run them for the time you need them on. That will tell you how much energy you need to make. A 300W solar panel will probably make about 1200Wh a day. Now see if that is enough.

The portable A/C and humidifiers are going to be very demanding. Aren't they also about the same thing (refrigeration units)?

Look at their label or manufacturer's specifications. They should list Amps. Take the amps and multiply by 120. That will give you the Watts. Multiply that by 4 hours, and that will give you Watt-hours, Wh you need to run it for the desired 4 hours per day. Rinse and repeat Voltage * Current * hours run time for all devices. Add all those Wh numbers up.

You can then compare your calculated Wh of all your devices and then compare to SolarQueen's 1200Wh/day.

You can download an xlsx spreadsheet at the top right of this post:

Fill in the yellow, and you have your answers.

I'm clearly not Will, but before you buy anything, make sure your 300W panel can produce the power you need. I suggest getting an energy meter like a Kill-A-Watt and plugging in the devices you want to use and run them for the time you need them on. That will tell you how much energy you need to make. A 300W solar panel will probably make about 1200Wh a day. Now see if that is enough.
I would like to delete the repeated post but I do not know how to delete in this format.
I will not repeat post in the future.
thank you

I am trying to figure out if a solar generator of some sort would get us through a crisis. I have a little jackary and a 245 watt panel. I am thinking to go with a much larger and like 3 more panels. I live in New Mexico so sun is not an issue. I have several reason of thinking to go this route but one is I can take it with me if we move. What do you think Solar Queen?

Thank you for your answer: I went ahead & placed a "Indiegogo"(kickStarter type) Purchase for the Bluetti AC200 @ the 1299 Price.
I know it will handle a 300W Residential Panel. Without me having to make it from LiFePo4's, & other addatives.
From Gary RN

I agree with SolarQueen. Read what is said there. I am not will. I can recommend only one drop in battery: "Lithioncs 12V125A-G31-5CND-LRB

Donna and i call him Will Power.....what an amazing life he is living. If you heed any of his advice, it is to buy Lithium batteries only.

To Will Prowse (as seen on Youtube):
I am a Registered Nurse of 38 years : Very much beginner with Solar Panel.
I have one 300 watt SolarPanel (don't plan to buy more):
I wish to have advice on Which products & Watts & Amps should I buy for the following?
#1) Solar Panel Charge Controller??? I'm thinking: MPPT (how many Volts / output Amps???,
#2) BMS for the six 60 W Fortune LFP cells (I will buy next week)?
#3) Inverter (with Brand / Product & how many Watts???).
I will be buying later this week Six 60W Fortune LFP cells (LiFePo4).
I will only use after Hurricanes:
#1) Portable AC (I will us it 4 hr / day),
#2) Portable Humidifier (I will us it 4 hr / day),
#3) LapTop,
#4) very small Emergency Radio.
Thank you
Gary Orrock R.N. in Florida
The portable AC is going to draw alot of power. Especially during startup there's a large surge. I would suggest lishen 8 272ah cells Michael Caro handles a on going group buy. The cells will take 2 months give or take to get here but youll be heading in the right direction for your capacity needs. You may want to consider a split unit ac as they draw a lot less power. You're probably better off buying a gas generator if you don't want to spend a good bit of money to set up a proper solar solution. I'm thinking around 2k minimum to meet your needs.

I have four 400 watt panels and they won't provide enough power to run a mini split for very long.

I can only run for one full day then charge for 5 days using a 30kWH battery.

This is from South Carolina sun.

Back