diy solar

diy solar

Recommend a GT PV inverter? ~24v ~30-40a input, 240vAC output

daklein

Can anyone recommend a modestly small grid-tie PV inverter that is good for lower voltage ~24v PV strings? I know the SUN GTIL type, but anything similar that's more UL listed type of product? Any large microinverters? (but I don't know what the original application would be for 2-3 panels in parallel to a microinverter)

I know a guy with a relatively big 12v battery system now lithium, with really neat old Trace 12v battery inverters, and a bunch of flexmate charge controllers. Originally set up as grid-tie through the Trace inverters, but with the change from net-metering to less outflow credit, they don't feel it's worth the throughput wear on the inverters and also risk of lightning from the grid. So he leaves the grid breaker open and runs off-grid.

In the summer he'll be just wasting tons of solar output that he's invested in panels and equipment. I'd like to suggest something economical that could be connected to the existing DC PV breakers in the basement, instead of the charge controllers, and still feed to the grid. Either that, or a 12V hot tub.

Last edited:
Back