diy solar

diy solar

Reducing ferrule

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
I was out on the Midnite forum. A user showed how they used a reducing ferrule to feed larger wire into the charge controller. Anyone else with this experience?

The issue is these reducing ferrules limit amp capacity to the size of the ferrule reduced side.

If it's a long run you likely get lower resistance using the bigger wire and the ferrule versus a smaller gauge the size of the reduced side of the ferrule. But for a short run likely not worth it.

BTW, anyone got any tips for info on best practice when to use ferrules, just a twisted cable, when to solder end terminals and so forth?

BTW, anyone got any tips for info on best practice when to use ferrules, just a twisted cable, when to solder end terminals and so forth?

Hoo boy, that's a can of worms you're opening up there. In general, we tend to crimp and not use any soldering. In a mobile environment the solder can become an issue. I use no solder in my RV and I'm happy with that because I suck at soldering.

If a terminal involves compressing the stranded wire then I like to use a ferrule. I have used a lot of ferrules in my install. I think my terminals stay tight better when using a ferrule.

If it's a long run you likely get lower resistance using the bigger wire and the ferrule
Currently I am looking at a 50 foot run. I can understand the possible trade offs.

It would be nice if charge controllers and other components would allow for larger gauge wire. It shouldn’t cost much more for that feature.

Hoo boy, that's a can of worms you're opening up there. In general, we tend to crimp and not use any soldering. In a mobile environment the solder can become an issue. I use no solder in my RV and I'm happy with that because I suck at soldering.

If a terminal involves compressing the stranded wire then I like to use a ferrule. I have used a lot of ferrules in my install. I think my terminals stay tight better when using a ferrule.

Thanks!

How do you guys do when you like connect cables to a MCB? Just twist/twin the copper up or use a ferrule?

BTW, sorry, English is not my first language, and I am especially not good with these electrical terms.

Set screw terminal
Sorry for the blurry pic

Attachments

• 20220614_213138.jpg
    20220614_213138.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 18
I can’t think of any reason not to use a ferrule.

That said, I rarely use ferrules for stiff 7 strand or other low strand count wire.

For the very flexible high strand count wire I always use ferrules.

For your other question, after soldering for decades I now have decent crimping tools and only crimp the various terminals and lugs. Shrink tubing with adhesive really finishes it off nicely.

For a solder smoke fix I have to build a circuit on a through hole board, not enough skill here for surface mount. ☹️

And why don't you use a ferrule with a clamping terminal? I assume you mean by clamping terminal is what Victron Energy uses on many of their products.
I'm not sure what Victron uses. But I posted a picture of the clamping terminal above.
The conductor compresses and fills the entire terminal. Which results in more contact surface area than with a ferrule.

I was out on the Midnite forum. A user showed how they used a reducing ferrule to feed larger wire into the charge controller. Anyone else with this experience?
I can't envision a ferrule that reduces the circumference of the wire.
A pin terminal would though.

I can't envision a ferrule that reduces the circumference of the wire.
A pin terminal would though.
I don't think they mean ferrule. Ferrules and pin terminals are often discussed together.

My general unpopular comment: many people here are using far thicker wire than necessary (4/0? really?). Here's a hint: if the wire you are using doesn't fit the terminal, just maybe you are using the wrong wire.

lol
I'm going to be using parallel 500 kcmil, to tie two battery banks together. Because I need to carry over 800 amps.

diy solar

diy solar
Back