diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 50A DC-DC charger tripping 50A CB

Saabpilot

My Renogy 50A DC-DC charger is doing as it should and outputting just under 50amps when connected to the smart alternator on my Ford Ranger. Because of the voltage difference going in and coming out of the charger, more that 50A from the alternator (closer to 60A). This causes the charging circuit breaker to trip as it should. The wiring and Anderson plugs etc are rated at 50A so I am reluctant to increase the size of the CB of the starter battery. Is there any other way to deal with this problem?

many thanks

SP

Circuit breakers and fuses should be 1.25X the current to prevent nuisance blows.
Using connectors rated for 50A on a 50A charger is what I would call a fail.

If you want to be able to plug or unplug with power on I would use SB175 connectors.

I see that XT90 connectors are supposed to be rated for 100A continuous? Is this for real?

Using connectors rated for 50A on a 50A charger is what I would call a fail.

If you want to be able to plug or unplug with power on I would use SB175 connectors.

I see that XT90 connectors are supposed to be rated for 100A continuous? Is this for real?

I don't see why it would be an unreal rating, but they're sized for 10-12 awg wire so not sure how practical they would be.

Back