diy solar

diy solar

Renogy MPPT

robpowers650

I own a Renogy Rover 40amp MPPT SCC. The four charge stages in the manual are MPPT, Boost, Float, and Equalize. It describes MPPT as charging the battery "with all the power from the solar panels", which makes me believe MPPT stage is another term for Bulk stage. So if my battery bank is at a low SOC, day 30%, the SCC should spend at least a few hours in MPPT stage as it charges my batteries, correct?

I own a Renogy Rover 40amp MPPT SCC. The four charge stages in the manual are MPPT, Boost, Float, and Equalize. It describes MPPT as charging the battery "with all the power from the solar panels", which makes me believe MPPT stage is another term for Bulk stage. So if my battery bank is at a low SOC, day 30%, the SCC should spend at least a few hours in MPPT stage as it charges my batteries, correct?
Well MPPT is a type of charger. Not a stage of charging. Boost, float and equalize are states of charging.

How long it stays in a stage depends on the controller. The settings you setup for the various voltages in the setup screen determine how it behaves in each "mode". If the manual is that bad describing how it works I might suggest getting one of the various other chargers that manuals to understand how to set it up. Any brand will work when trying to understand how each mode works since its universal basically. The settings may differ a bit but one of the other manuals could help with grasping whats going on with the modes.

If your battery is a low state of charge the controller will spend some time in the bulk stage where the MPPT action will extract maximum power from the panels and convert to a suitable power to charge the battery.
Your question implies you are having problems with the unit, is this the case?

Just seen your other post, yes, you are having problems.

Extract from the manual, graph for lead acid battery charging,
Screenshot_20230617-094425_Drive.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
If your battery is a low state of charge the controller will spend some time in the bulk stage where the MPPT action will extract maximum power from the panels and convert to a suitable power to charge the battery.

View attachment 15326510

Mike

Well MPPT is a type of charger. Not a stage of charging. Boost, float and equalize are states of charging.

How long it stays in a stage depends on the controller. The settings you setup for the various voltages in the setup screen determine how it behaves in each "mode". If the manual is that bad describing how it works I might suggest getting one of the various other chargers that manuals to understand how to set it up. Any brand will work when trying to understand how each mode works since its universal basically. The settings may differ a bit but one of the other manuals could help with grasping whats going on with the modes.
Ahh yes I realize now that MPPT is not a stage. Unfortunately the SCC displays MPPT during the entire bulk charging stage which is a tad confusing.Thanks for the response!

View attachment 153265

Mike
I replied to you on my other post with the solution. But your response definitely helped me realize there was an issue and led me to investigate. Thanks again

The MPPT charging phase, which refers to constant current charging, means that a high current charge is used to rapidly increase the voltage of the battery. Of course our controller is not always in the MPPT phase, it will adjust the charging phase according to the actual battery conditions.
Regarding the SOC display of our controller, there are certain deviations as it is an estimate calculated by the algorithm. Please refer to the battery voltage displayed by the controller to determine the battery status.

The MPPT charging phase, which refers to constant current charging, means that a high current charge is used to rapidly increase the voltage of the battery. Of course our controller is not always in the MPPT phase, it will adjust the charging phase according to the actual battery conditions.
Regarding the SOC display of our controller, there are certain deviations as it is an estimate calculated by the algorithm. Please refer to the battery voltage displayed by the controller to determine the battery status.

Stop trying to redefine terms. You just described the bulk phase of charging.

There is no such thing as the MPPT charging phase. I don't care if you personally designed the thing there is no such thing.

MPPT is a charging METHOD. Its an mppt charge controller and that is all.

As the eggo pointed out your describing a known and common phase of charging that the controller is going thru and its not called mppt.

Back