diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Rover Lithium settings

Could really use your advice on the equalization settings. Are my assumptions and settings right?

Equalization 14v
Boost 14v
Float 13.6v

Half-empty batt=undervoltage: 13.2v
Empty batt=low voltage disconnect 12.3v

I will keep load off and add panels when I can but any advice appreciated.
As @MisterSandals pointed out, the Equalization voltage matters less than setting the time to zero so that it doesn't equalize. I set it to 14V as a hedge against the SCC doing something unexpected and not adhering to the zero time setting.

I use the BT-1 Bluetooth module and the Renogy app to set mine up. I've never tried to get to all of the settings via the front panel of the unit so I'm not sure if they are all available (I can check that out a little later this afternoon). I've also noticed that terminology between the manual snippet, what you see on the front panel, and what I see in the app are inconsistent. So this might take a few tries for us.

Here's what I have for settings via the app:

IMG_4250.PNGIMG_4251.PNG

As @MisterSandals pointed out, the Equalization voltage matters less than setting the time to zero so that it doesn't equalize. I set it to 14V as a hedge against the SCC doing something unexpected and not adhering to the zero time setting.

I use the BT-1 Bluetooth module and the Renogy app to set mine up. I've never tried to get to all of the settings via the front panel of the unit so I'm not sure if they are all available (I can check that out a little later this afternoon). I've also noticed that terminology between the manual snippet, what you see on the front panel, and what I see in the app are inconsistent. So this might take a few tries for us.

Here's what I have for settings via the app:

View attachment 63984View attachment 63985
Thanks Bob. You've reassured me I've done nothing wrong (except trust manufacturers defaults).

Still! You'd think a renogy mppt and a renogy battery would integrate easier than this!

Thanks again all. Now I wait and see how the battery takes charging with no load for a day or two.

Dont confuse the settings for the load terminals with those used to control the charging process. Unless you are using the load terminals, not normally recommended, then you only need to consider Boost and float values together with boost return voltage.
It seems that Renogy do not have a float setting for lithium, relying on a boost return voltage of 13.2. This is quite a good profile as it prevents the battery from being at high charge voltages for longer than necessary that may cause damage. Charge to boost target voltage and then stop charging is , in my view, a good strategy.

The SOC recorded by the Renogy Rover is based on voltage and is almost useless where lithium batteries are used with the controller.

It seems you are worrying about the settings for the load terminals, don't.

Meter reads 12.7v and 83% on both 170ah batts right now
Those are what one would expect with lead acid batteries. 12.7 volts on a lithium battery ( rested) is under 20% state of charge.

I guess your loads are such that the batteries are not being charged enough, that is, you are consuming more with the loads than you are getting in from solar.

I suggest,
a) Ignore the state of charge readings completely.
b) use the table Mr S posted to give you a rough guide to capacity.
c) roughly calculate your loads in watt hours over the day and compare to the solar watt hours in, you need to reduce the loads as much as possible to allow the SOC ( thus battery voltage) to increase. Aim for a charge to 14 volts, once charged it will settle to 13.35 to 13.40 volts. In use don't let the voltage fall below 12.8 volts.
d) Ideally you want to work in the region 13 to 13.4 volts.

Mike

Dont confuse the settings for the load terminals with those used to control the charging process. Unless you are using the load terminals, not normally recommended, then you only need to consider Boost and float values together with boost return voltage.
It seems that Renogy do not have a float setting for lithium, relying on a boost return voltage of 13.2. This is quite a good profile as it prevents the battery from being at high charge voltages for longer than necessary that may cause damage. Charge to boost target voltage and then stop charging is , in my view, a good strategy.

The SOC recorded by the Renogy Rover is based on voltage and is almost useless where lithium batteries are used with the controller.

It seems you are worrying about the settings for the load terminals, don't.

Those are what one would expect with lead acid batteries. 12.7 volts on a lithium battery ( rested) is under 20% state of charge.

I guess your loads are such that the batteries are not being charged enough, that is, you are consuming more with the loads than you are getting in from solar.

I suggest,
a) Ignore the state of charge readings completely.
b) use the table Mr S posted to give you a rough guide to capacity.
c) roughly calculate your loads in watt hours over the day and compare to the solar watt hours in, you need to reduce the loads as much as possible to allow the SOC ( thus battery voltage) to increase. Aim for a charge to 14 volts, once charged it will settle to 13.35 to 13.40 volts. In use don't let the voltage fall below 12.8 volts.
d) Ideally you want to work in the region 13 to 13.4 volts.

Mike
Well said, Mike. Thanks.

Now you are all making me second guess my default Rover 40 amp settings with my Renogy Smart Lithium Battery 100 amp hr.

May I ask, why are the original Rover's settings not sufficient? What do the new settings offer? thanks

Equalization 14v
Boost 14v
Float 13.6v
Well Equalization is moot because duration should be set to zero.
Boost default=14.4V is a pretty aggressive charge and represents the max charge the cells, if all exactly equal, will handle. We know cells aren't the same voltage, especially at the extremes so 14.0V is a realistic, full charge.
Float, its mostly a "minimum state of readiness" charge. It really matters how you are using your battery(s). Folks using them continually (with a fridge thats always on for example), having a higher state of charge makes sense.
My RV sits mostly unused. LiFePO4 batteries don't like to be kept at high voltages for extended periods so i have my float value down low, around 13.2V most of the time. I bump this up a couple days before a trip, maybe to 13.4V.

You're in great shape with those settings. You've gotten expert level help from Bob and Mike.

Fantastic. That makes so much sense. I lowered my parameters to 14.0 v. It only allowed me to change boost, but when I changed boost, equalize and float also changed to the same value.

But I guess I would have to make the user profile from scratch because I just edited the default lithium profile.

Screenshot_20210909-153204.png
Screenshot_20210909-153210.png

Well Equalization is moot because duration should be set to zero.
Boost default=14.4V is a pretty aggressive charge and represents the max charge the cells, if all exactly equal, will handle. We know cells aren't the same voltage, especially at the extremes so 14.0V is a realistic, full charge.
Float, its mostly a "minimum state of readiness" charge. It really matters how you are using your battery(s). Folks using them continually (with a fridge thats always on for example), having a higher state of charge makes sense.
My RV sits mostly unused. LiFePO4 batteries don't like to be kept at high voltages for extended periods so i have my float value down low, around 13.2V most of the time. I bump this up a couple days before a trip, maybe to 13.4V.

You're in great shape with those settings. You've gotten expert level help from Bob and Mike.
I can't figure out HOW to set equalization time to zero, but am I correct in saying it shouldn't matter since the voltage I've picked is the same as boost?

I can't figure out HOW to set equalization time to zero, but am I correct in saying it shouldn't matter since the voltage I've picked is the same as boost?
See my post above I just edited the default lithium profile and the equalization time is already zero.

However I'm not able to edit anything in the grey box just the white boxes

Actually, im having the same problem also.

Now I've copied your charging profile exactly, but I cannot change the boost time to 0 via the app. Is this well have to do on the controller itself?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-161046.png
    Screenshot_20210909-161046.png
    133.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210909-161033.png
    Screenshot_20210909-161033.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 24
I just checked the manual and the front panel interface on mine. You can't access all of the settings from the front panel. To fully program the User mode settings either the Renogy or Rich Solar* BT-1 module and app are necessary.

If you aren't planning on getting the BT-1 module/in the interim while you're waiting for it, I suggest setting your equalization voltage to whatever you decide to set your float voltage.

*(same product but sometimes the Rich Solar version can be found for cheaper)

Actually, im having the same problem also.

Now I've copied your charging profile exactly, but I cannot change the boost time to 0 via the app. Is this well have to do on the controller itself?
I'm not seeing any difference between what I posted and your settings. I keep the boost at 10 mins just to hold it and get that last bit of charging as the current tails off. I don't think I've ever tried to make it zero.

I'm not seeing any difference between what I posted and your settings. I keep the boost at 10 mins just to hold it and get that last bit of charging as the current tails off. I don't think I've ever tried to make it zero.
Sorry, Bob142, I got the posts mixed up. I'm using your profile for my Renogy 100 amp Smart lithium battery with self-heater (built-in heater). I live in colder climate. This new changes, shouldn't really affect that. So boost is ok for 10 minutes? I cant change it (if it needs to be).

Just to confirm, are these setting ok for my battery? Last thing I want to do is destroy my $950 battery lol!

Screenshot_20210909-161033.png Screenshot_20210909-161046.png

Sorry, Bob142, I got the posts mixed up. I'm using your profile for my Renogy 100 amp Smart lithium battery with self-heater (built-in heater). I live in colder climate. This new changes, shouldn't really affect that. So boost is ok for 10 minutes? I cant change it (if it needs to be).

Just to confirm, are these setting ok for my battery? Last thing I want to do is destroy my $950 battery lol!

View attachment 64004 View attachment 64005
I won't make any bold promises about your battery, but I use those settings on two Lion Energy batteries in parallel and I sleep very well at night. :)

I won't make any bold promises about your battery, but I use those settings on two Lion Energy batteries in parallel and I sleep very well at night. :)
Fair enough. I'll be ok with an underperforming battery (if that is even the case), because I can easily fixt that by tweaking the parameters. I feel these new settings are conservative and safe for the battery.

Just wanted to provide an update on the new settings.

Yesterday I had some good sun in the morning as soon as it hit my two panels, the charge controller charged the battery at full throttle untill it hit 14 volts. At this point the battery was at 98% capacity, according to the app, and the charge controller basically trickled the rest up to 100% over the next few minutes.

My battery was 100% charged (100% capacity) at 14.0 V!

Worked quite well and and I'm starting to like this new charge profile quite well actually.

It doesn't seem to get out of boost though. Once it hits 14 it just basically stays on Boost (for more than 10 minutes).

Should it not be at float at this point?

Back