diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Scum!!!!!

Urge38

Rant but be warned when buying from Renogy

So, I purchased a New LifePo4 50ah battery from Renogy uk (no such thing) through eBay Uk (I live in the Uk)

I charge the battery at home, indoors (warm) via a mains 10a charger (LifePo4) and use the battery for only one cycle per day, maybe four times a week,
I had the battery four months when I noticed a lack of capacity.

So, I did a capacity test, wait for it !!!!! drum roll!!!!! 55% capacity!!!! can't be!!! so ive done the test a few times since,
yep, a 50amp battery is only giving me 27amps after four months.

ok, I thought best I try a new charger, so I bought a Victron charger, still the same, only 27amps from a 50-ah battery

Do you think Renogy wanted to know!!!???

all they want and have done is give me the run around,

please sir, be kind enough to run this test, O and now you have run that test, please sir can you run test again, O please sir, second team is looking into you complaint

Ebay are not interested, my credit card compony are not interested because I purchased it through a platform

SO BUYER BE WARE

Renogy are Scum, and if I had not used eBay, but purchased directly from Renogy, I would have been covered by my credit card company.

Don't make this mistake people

Unfortunately, Renogy customer service is poor at the best of times. I watched a video where the 100Ah Pro version failed to stop discharge at 10V and went into low voltage protection and wouldn't wake up. They sent the guy another battery and almost same thing, except this replacement took a charge again. Renogy said it was due to it being discharged at 0.2C during his capacity test 😆 I almost bought one till I saw that video. Close call

You just got to laugh or else you cry

mine is steady to around 11.50V then it nose dives to 10v in minuets

That makes sense. 2.875V / cell is all but empty.
Is the battery sealed? Can you see individual cell voltages from the BMS or measure them with a meter? What voltage are you charging to?
I'd bet your cells are way out of balance causing the majority of your issues.

Its too bad Renogy cant figure out customer service.

They seem to have a captive audience and manage to sell products at a higher price than others. Then its disappointment from there...

Theyd have one heck of a business if they took half of their advertising budget and put it into product quality control and some educated tech reps to answer the phone.

They are known to use BMS that doesn’t balance and slowly becomes unbalanced at the sacrifice of capacity.

I still say a proper test of these economy off the shelf batteries is if the BMS can balance cells. Everyone loves to do tear downs and low temp protection. Balancing is way more important.

I watched a you tube video of my exact same battery, some guy had two taken to him to revive, he opened them up and hey presto, unbalanced cells

Is it possible to open it up and either change the bms to a cell balancing bms or simply charge the cells individually

my Renogy 3000w inverter has performed flawlessly in the 12 months that i have had it ....

Renogy is basically Chins with Lipstick, my very frist batteries were renogy 170ah and they would test to about 115, this is well documented as many other170 ah renogy are acting the same way. So most probably grade B cells.

There are better brands now: Epoch, SFK, SOK, Aolithium, Voltgo, Volithium so yes avoid Renogy.

I do like there inverters & solar chargers though.

that's what I would expect, 12V would be 9ish % capacity and the bottom knee is below that, batteries I wouldn't buy from renogy myself, but I do use their hardware as a normal working guy can't afford Victron. :LOL:

This thread is about Renogy batteries. All Renogy products work fine until they don't. They're notoriously bad at support and communication.
The thread was about Renogy being scum ....otherwise it would have been titled Renogy Batteries are Shit .... and you will find that ALL products, irrespective of manufacturer work until they don't......

Can't comment on Renogys support and communication other than what I've read, which does seem to support your experience that it is rather shit ....

So, I purchased a New LifePo4 50ah battery from Renogy uk (no such thing) through eBay Uk (I live in the Uk)

I charge the battery at home, indoors (warm) via a mains 10a charger (LifePo4) and use the battery for only one cycle per day, maybe four times a week,

So, I did a capacity test, wait for it !!!!! drum roll!!!!! 55% capacity!!!! can't be!!! so ive done the test a few times since,

ok, I thought best I try a new charger, so I bought a Victron charger, still the same, only 27amps from a 50-ah battery

please sir, be kind enough to run this test, O and now you have run that test, please sir can you run test again, O please sir, second team is looking into you complaint

Ebay are not interested, my credit card compony are not interested because I purchased it through a platform

SO BUYER BE WARE

Renogy are Scum, and if I had not used eBay, but purchased directly from Renogy, I would have been covered by my credit card company.

It it this one?

Attachments

• _01__95429__29841.jpg
    _01__95429__29841.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 3
Cause I had a hell of a time getting a warranty replacement on one that had the exact same problem!
Customer support was terrible

SO BUYER BE WARE

Ya mean the same company that sold me my first new panels 3-4 years ago and when I hooked them up “1/2 “ the mc4 connectors on them crumbled or broke in half in my hands like a potato chip..?

Is that the same company yer talking about..?

Well I understand … cause I trust them about as much as I trust their connectors…

I never even considered wasting my time on a warranty call …..my time hangin on the phone with some clerk trying to tell me I did somthing wrong is worth more than 32 cheap connectors…I just fixed it and moved on…
it’s the way of life nowdays…

Damn cheap stuff is takin over the world……

J.

Back