diy solar

diy solar

Revo II PV charging Super Bad

rabihhammoud

Dear folks,
Hope my post finds you well.

Hope someone share me his experience with the buggy Revo II inverter.
I have around 50 inverters installed in diff sites.
Inverter settings:
  • Off Grid Mode (Even no utility)
  • Work mode: AC - PV
  • Charge settings on PV is 90 Amps , while on AC is set to 60 Amps
In our case:
  • 4 or 8 Batteries Luminus or Tuff Bull 220 Amps Lead Acid.
  • 9 Panels in series 535 Longi Hi-Mo5 Bi-facial giving real power around 5000 watt (Peak time)

The issue is as follows:
Batteries are empty, load is around 5 amps, the inverter is charging batteries with few amps like 7 amps or less where they are EMPTY and covering the load of home around 5 Amps. Load of PV is around 30% of its Max true power.
If u make home load, the PV power will significantly increase to cover load (up to 5000 watt from PV)
The charging from PV is set to 90 Amps. but never went above 15 amps because Mr. Revo doesnt want to make load on him self to charge batteries from PV.
If utility came up, the inverter will start charging batteries according to the charge setting on AC (if its set to 60 Amps, it will charge @60 amps to the batteries)

So why this inverter not want to use the PV true power to charge batteries?
Talking to sorotech but never came up with single solution.

Hope to hear from you!

Thanks and regards.
PS. this issue is only in the OFF Grid Mode.
Besides, never ask me in Parallel how one unit is daring batteries, and other one is charging! (Same PV power on both inverters)"OFF grid Mode Only".....

Last edited:
Specs say Reno II has 450V PV limit.

9X of your panels:

9 * 49.5 = 445.5V

In most cases, unless you are in an extreme climate that NEVER goes below 25°C, your PV voltage is too high.

Take off one panel and try 8 in series.

Thanks for reply...
I dont have PV high voltage warning!
Also when PV is in load, the voltage is 350 or sometimes 340

Besides, ON Grid mode, all is working perfect
The issue is that inverter not loading PV to charge EMPTY batteries in the OFF grid mode

Best regards.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply...

The issue is that inverter not loading PV to charge EMPTY batteries in the OFF grid mode

Best regards.

I don't have lead acid battery anymore, so I can't tell much about this.

There are other users complaining about performance at higher solar voltages.

350 volt?
That doesn't seem right.
How many panels do you have in parallel?
All 9?
Simple calculation:
Once cell gives 0.5v.
Standard panels are 72 cells, 36 volt, and usually up to 390 watt.
535 watt have 99 cells, 49.5v
9x 49.5 = 445.5v

Of your panels are 72 cells, 36v, your voltage of 340-350 is correct.
If they are the larger size, 99 cells.
You have a problem there.

Turn off the inverter, disconnect the solar cable and use a simple multi meter at noon to measure the voltage.
Do NOT thrust the display of the Revo.

I can tell you some about the the settings that will work in offgird setup.
Has been working for years.

(I was one of the first to receive Revo II from Sorotec and seen them grow over the years, in size and software quality)

It's off grid mode, so...
PV only not PV + AC (!!)

My settings that provide me with (according to the Revo II) 5200 watt MPPT (real life 4500-4700 watt) are as follows:
(Settings are working for my lifepo4 setup)

IMG_20211119_094936_copy_1000x750.jpgIMG_20211119_095024_copy_1000x750.jpgIMG_20211119_095009_copy_1000x750.jpgIMG_20211119_094948_copy_1000x750.jpgIMG_20211119_095048_copy_1000x750.jpg

PV size setting is probably just for fun.
I haven't noticed any performance difference between setting it as 2500 or 5000 or 7500 watt.

If your batteries are empty, if I understood from your post, 10.5 volt for lead acid, that might give some starting issues.
Normal 12.7v, charge 14.4 -16v
(Times 4 obviously for 48v system)

If they are empty...
You should not be installing them, but already make the switch to lifepo4.

Empty lead acid is dead lead acid...

I talk from experience, where I lost 16 X 200 Ah deep cycle lead acid batteries in a few months.
They didn't die because they where empty but a crappy defective EASUN hybrid decided to charge them with 78v...
That took a few weeks to noticeable kill them....

I'm sure you know what you are doing if you installed over 50 installations.

Just saying...
They never should be empty.
:cool:

Last edited:
Besides, never ask me in Parallel how one unit is daring batteries, and other one is charging! (Same PV power on both inverters)"OFF grid Mode Only".....

I'm asking :)

100% off grid here, so that's the "only" experience I have".

I have 2 X 3.2kw units in parallel, and never had this issues.
(Both 5000 W solar panels, 350v) (or better 18 x 325w, as 2 x 9 and 16x 345w as 2x8)

I read you are unhappy with your purchase of 50 Revo II units.
And that you mostly don't understand how to configure them correctly.

Instead of bashing...
You can ask friendly.
Not a crime to not know how to do something, even as experienced installer.
It is a crime to stay ignorant and try to push a square where a circle hould be :)

Chinese factories /designers have their "own logic" and "own interpretation" of world standards.

It will take time and a calm mind to understand their interpretation.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply...

Best regards.
I had similar issue, when i hooked up 14 x 330w panels in series,Voc 39v no high voltage warning, but inverter refuse to charge battery well, till i reconfigured to 7s2p, all is good now

Well, there is no need to insult anyone where you dont have any idea whom is speaking here or there!!!Even you dont know what qualifications I have or I dont!!! ;)

Talking about inverters in general and specially configuration is something very simple!!!
FYI, Kevin from sorotech entered and confessed that I'm 100% correct where the inverter not able to determine the true PV power!
Even I changed PV algorithm, but didn't help. (Parallel units, OFF Grid Mode)

Just a small screenshot: 1640197065418.png

Anyway, Ill stop this thread here because in my page rules,
03: Respect each other. Flaming/Spamming/Rudeness will not be tolerated. will result in immediate ban

Thanks for all the answers!

Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• 1640197065418.png
    1640197065418.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Well, there is no need to insult anyone where you dont have any idea whom is speaking here or there!!!Even you dont know what qualifications I have or I dont!!! ;)

Talking about inverters in general and specially configuration is something very simple!!!
FYI, Kevin from sorotech entered and confessed that I'm 100% correct where the inverter not able to determine the true PV power!
Even I changed PV algorithm, but didn't help. (Parallel units, OFF Grid Mode)

Just a small screenshot:

Anyway, Ill stop this thread here because in my page rules,
03: Respect each other. Flaming/Spamming/Rudeness will not be tolerated. will result in immediate ban

Thanks for all the answers!

Merry Christmas.

I'm not sure of the purpose of your post. I assume it's to provide a counter to my recommendation to go with 8S instead of 9S. I'll proceed accordingly.

The screenshot shows the system in operation. What you have to be concerned about is the PEAK voltage the panels will achieve when no current is being drawn.

Assuming -0.33%/°C for a temperature coefficient, at 22°C and lower, you will exceed the 450Voc input limit of the MPPT.

9S is a poor choice and risks damaging the unit.

This may not address your issue or concerns, but it is something that should be fixed. Period.

Sometimes you find better answer from experience than talking to factory.... That is the forum prepose! Correct me if Im wrong!

besides, the issue of charging is only in the OFF Grid mode ( I mentioned already that the inverter in the ON Grid mode is doing perfect job)

The screenshot I showed is just reply for the one who said 350 Volts under load 9 panels (VOC around 50) is incorrect so its only a proof.

9S is not risky at all, on the contrary, under load, it will achieve the nominal operating voltage.
Since years, never got any warning message or any issue from 9S (during all seasons)

Best regards.

Sometimes you find better answer from experience than talking to factory.... That is the forum prepose! Correct me if Im wrong!

besides, the issue of charging is only in the OFF Grid mode ( I mentioned already that the inverter in the ON Grid mode is doing perfect job)

The screenshot I showed is just reply for the one who said 350 Volts under load 9 panels (VOC around 50) is incorrect so its only a proof.

9S is not risky at all, on the contrary, under load, it will achieve the nominal operating voltage.
Since years, never got any warning message or any issue from 9S (during all seasons)

Best regards.

I'm glad I'm not in your service area.

@rabihhammoud

You should respect your own rules:

And as result should ban yourself.
As you have been rude, flaming and spamming.

I wish you a happy Christmas and an improved 2022 without you needing to act rule 03 upon yourself.

Perhaps you forgot, perhaps it's your home country temperament (feels like you are Indian)
(I'm not trying to start a discussion about countries, religion, styles of life.
Where many European (and American/Australian) are considered hot heads in Asia,
Many Thais are sabai sabai (easy going)
Many Indians known to make a big fuss about a little thing and rand on about it without respect.
Hotels in Bangkok receiving guests from India...
I have great respect for the receptionists!!
Nitpicking and arguing about any little thing that isn't perfect.
Not that they want to leave, just get a discount on the already really low prices. That might be a culture thing and OK in India...
The rest of the globe it's rude.

In Europe we say " you get what you paid for"
If you want perfect hotel, go to the Hilton.
If you want perfect car, buy a Rolls-Royce
If you want perfect watch, buy a Rolex
If you want perfect inverter, buy Outback or Victron.

With the budget many small quarks exist, what makes it also a sport.

Nagging about it, paying the money for super-turbo-quantum-tech (made up brand name) watch and expect (or better demand) it to be Rolex quality ....

That is at start already disrespectful.

You get what you pay for.

Dear folks,
Hope my post finds you well.

Hope someone share me his experience with the buggy Revo II inverter.
I have around 50 inverters installed in diff sites.
Inverter settings:
  • Off Grid Mode (Even no utility)
  • Work mode: AC - PV
  • Charge settings on PV is 90 Amps , while on AC is set to 60 Amps
In our case:
  • 4 or 8 Batteries Luminus or Tuff Bull 220 Amps Lead Acid.
  • 9 Panels in series 535 Longi Hi-Mo5 Bi-facial giving real power around 5000 watt (Peak time)

The issue is as follows:
Batteries are empty, load is around 5 amps, the inverter is charging batteries with few amps like 7 amps or less where they are EMPTY and covering the load of home around 5 Amps. Load of PV is around 30% of its Max true power.
If u make home load, the PV power will significantly increase to cover load (up to 5000 watt from PV)
The charging from PV is set to 90 Amps. but never went above 15 amps because Mr. Revo doesnt want to make load on him self to charge batteries from PV.
If utility came up, the inverter will start charging batteries according to the charge setting on AC (if its set to 60 Amps, it will charge @60 amps to the batteries)

So why this inverter not want to use the PV true power to charge batteries?
Talking to sorotech but never came up with single solution.

Hope to hear from you!

Thanks and regards.
Hi Rabih, I know some time has passed since ur post
But I found that I have the same exact complaint with both my Revo 2 inverters.
Mine follow the load I give them but don’t seem to be able to charge the batteries while off grid (they work fine when there is a grid)
I hope you can let me know if you ended up finding a solution?

@Wad, what are your settings?

Solar or Solar + AC should work fine.

For me, living off grid, it does not make any difference.
On grid, the CT sensor and settings should be correct.

To verify, you can select solar only, safe the Settings, and turn off / disconnect, reboot the unit.

I have found that it doesn't always save the settings correct.

Especially battery maxilmal voltage for charging...
That can take a few reboots before that gets honoured...

Strange, yes.
Not defective as after a few tries it does Listen to the new settings, but an total pain if you aren't aware of it!!

Reactions: Wad
Increase Bulk and Float 2 Volts Each (one unit)
If you have two units in parallel or more, then forget! Its totally buggy!
My advice, buy Deye inverter, its 100% stable, professional, and heavy duty!

Best regards,

Best regards,
I have 3 units in parallel, no problems at all

But ..
Only off grid experience.
How they would react on grid...
I can't tell.

Deye, I don't know the brand or pricing.
Many different flavours out there.

Best flavours are Victron and Outback, obviously the big players as Tesla, BYD, Huawei...

Price wise...
You get what you pay for, and what you get from Sorotec isn't a bad deal.
Obviously not the same level as the list above...

Parallel isn't an problem
Running them for 2 years now like this.
They don't provide me the 5500w solar , 4400w max.

Still, for the money...
The Victron MPPT to provide 4500w would cost more then double...of 1 hybrid

Best regards,
I tried to increase Bulk and float to 58 and 56…., and tried each inverter alone while placing all 10 Pv’s 2 parallel strings on one inverter…. One inverter seemed to do better but not consistently ( it charges for a while than goes back to it’s weird behavior)

Best regards,
Basically you ended up changing the inverters to Deye? I guess that’s what ur telling me

@Wad, what are your settings?

Solar or Solar + AC should work fine.

For me, living off grid, it does not make any difference.
On grid, the CT sensor and settings should be correct.

To verify, you can select solar only, safe the Settings, and turn off / disconnect, reboot the unit.

I have found that it doesn't always save the settings correct.

Especially battery maxilmal voltage for charging...
That can take a few reboots before that gets honoured...

Strange, yes.
Not defective as after a few tries it does Listen to the new settings, but an total pain if you aren't aware of it!!
I have tried both settings .But I am really disappointed with the erratic behavior both inverters are giving me …. Even when I am working with them individually.
I didn’t find any difference with Solar or solar +ac setting…. Cuz my problem occurs when I have no grid

Back