diy solar

diy solar

Rich Solar 40A MPPT controller and low temp LiFePo4 charge protection?

Mr.Michael

I bought a Rich Solar 40A MPPT controller for my van. The 40A is way over spec as I only have a 100W panel but it may move to a boat with more panels, so that's why.
Did a bench setup, build a serial cable and got the software to work. After some tinkering I was able to set the controller to accept 60Ah for my LiFePo4 battery. Did some more testing and I found that the battery temp sensor seems to work only for compensation for lead acid cells. Even so I got the probe plenty cold at -15C or 5F the controller happily kept on supplying a charge current to my battery. No harm done, the sensor was in a cold solution, battery at room temp but the desired protection does not seem to be part of the setup. Controller model ML2440N10 version V0.0.3
My mistake or lack of features?
charge_at_minus.JPG

Last edited:
From vendor: :(
New message from: richsolar (860)
Hi,

The temperature sensor will not work under 0'c. That is true.

The solar charge controller protection your battery overcharged, but if the temperature is low, the solar panel will not work, so the charge controller will not work too. so that is why we design the temperature sensor will not work under 0'c. Normally that should have no any problem. If your battery has the problem, the temperature will be very high, there is no way the battery had the big problem when it is very low temperature caused by solar charge controller.

Solar charge controller is a machine between solar panel to your battery, it connect solar panel and your battery, keep your battery charging. If you want to monitor your battery, you need buy battery monitor. Or you may talk with battery factory to get more information.

You bought this solar charge controller, the most function is working with solar panel and protect your battery. That is what this machine did its job.

Pls call your battery supplier to get more information about what you are worrying about that. I think you will get full information if they are professional.

If you have any question pls feel free to contact us.

Best regards
RICH SOLAR
Customer Service Team

Back