diy solar

diy solar

RS485 RJ45 to USB for EG4-LL & Solar Assistant?

joshgray

I have a cable working for an EG4-LL to a Raspberry Pi running Solar Assistant, but I want a better cable with strain relief as it feels not very sturdy. I guess I could use heat shrink but I'd really just like an off the shelf cable that's rubber all the way end to end. Does anyone know if this cable on the Solar Assistant website has the right pinout? Is there any on amazon that work? I tried two so far with no luck. Thanks!

That cable will work perfectly with the Inverters listed.
Your not going to find a Pre made cable on Amazon but it's easy enough to make one by just cutting off one end of an Ethernet cable and then wiring in the three right wires into this RS485 converter.
Amazon

I have a cable working for an EG4-LL to a Raspberry Pi running Solar Assistant, but I want a better cable with strain relief as it feels not very sturdy. I guess I could use heat shrink but I'd really just like an off the shelf cable that's rubber all the way end to end. Does anyone know if this cable on the Solar Assistant website has the right pinout? Is there any on amazon that work? I tried two so far with no luck. Thanks!
Yeah I got a pair of USB to RJ45 cables off Amazon and they got so hot that the USB end would burn your fingers. And that’s just with one end connected to the bottom of LV6548 data port not battery. Probably better to spend the $30 per at Watts24/7

I'm just getting my 2 EG4 inverters and 6 EG4-LL batteries installed, when the batteries are connected to the inverters can I still connect Solar Assistant to the batteries as well? or am I limited to only connecting Solar Assistant to the Inverters? Having trouble finding an answer to this.

Thanks in advance.

I'm just getting my 2 EG4 inverters and 6 EG4-LL batteries installed, when the batteries are connected to the inverters can I still connect Solar Assistant to the batteries as well? or am I limited to only connecting Solar Assistant to the Inverters? Having trouble finding an answer to this.

Thanks in advance.
Did you ever figure this out?

In my limited experience (just powered up my system yesterday) I expect the answer to be no. The RS485 connection from the (master) battery for Solar Assistant is the same port you'd use to connect that battery to the inverter...

Did you ever figure this out?

In my limited experience (just powered up my system yesterday) I expect the answer to be no. The RS485 connection from the (master) battery for Solar Assistant is the same port you'd use to connect that battery to the inverter...
Correct, you can not split RS485 ports then either connect only the inverter or only the batteries to the PI ...

Unless your batteries & inverter communicate thru a distinct CAN port instead of RS485 or deactivate com between inverter & batteries but connect both to the PI via RS485. You'll have access to BMS values this way to fine tune your inverter voltage settings ...

Last edited:
Old post, you probably found a way now but just in case as I had the same issue of wires barely fitting on the USB to RS485 terminal block. I found a better option using this 10 USD cable :

Remove the RJ45 end, crimp a new connector. Done & clean on both sides.

Cable is made of 3 wires :
- yellow : RS485B
- black : RS485A
- red : ground (not needed).

Just crimp a new RJ45 according to your batteries RS485 wiring diagram.

Works perfectly ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-07-19-10-02-439_com.opera.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-07-19-10-02-439_com.opera.browser.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Back