diy solar

diy solar

RV Battery System 12v or More?

Maybe I should start a new thread for this? But over the past few days I'm finding my trailer converter / electrical system to be extremley inefficient. I ran the whole system from my Bluetti last night. So basically a 40 watt TV was the only thing using AC. Then there was the funrnace heater fan that's 12v, the fridge that's 12v, and a few 12v led lights, and that converter running basically took my AC200MAX with 5120 Wh capacity from 100% to 37% overnight. Granted, it did keep the two lead acid deep cycle batteries on the tounge charged to 100%, but that converter is sitting there using 280 watts even while the batteries are 100% charged. I need do something about that. Maybe disconnect the converter and put in my own charger? I would expect a trickle charger from Walmart would be way more efficient? Your thoughts?

Maybe I should start a new thread for this? But over the past few days I'm finding my trailer converter / electrical system to be extremley inefficient. I ran the whole system from my Bluetti last night. So basically a 40 watt TV was the only thing using AC. Then there was the funrnace heater fan that's 12v, the fridge that's 12v, and a few 12v led lights, and that converter running basically took my AC200MAX with 5120 Wh capacity from 100% to 37% overnight. Granted, it did keep the two lead acid deep cycle batteries on the tounge charged to 100%, but that converter is sitting there using 280 watts even while the batteries are 100% charged. I need do something about that. Maybe disconnect the converter and put in my own charger? I would expect a trickle charger from Walmart would be way more efficient? Your thoughts?
Disconnect the charger/converter and monitor the usage. I'm only running 12V, and I forgot to disconnect the charger. It completely toasted the battery in a matter of a few hours. Not sure how your config would set up a loop, but it may have.

Is your fridge 3way or 12v compressor? If it's 3Way, don't run on 12v. Very very inefficient cooling.

Hi, unless I'm missing something earlier in the thread...AC200MAX is 2048 Wh...which would at least partially explain your results

Hi, unless I'm missing something earlier in the thread...AC200MAX is 2048 Wh...which would at least partially explain your results

Unless I'm missing something...

How do you get 2048Wh? Amps X volts = watts....so 200Ah times 12V nominal would be 2400 watt hours. At 90% usable that would still be 2160Ah. Anyway...I digress. How did asker calculate 5120Wh from a 200A battery???

EDIT: Now I see you're probably referring to a bluetti solar generator. Never mind. :)

I kind of got lost on asker question as well...did it ever get answered? Not clear on his configuration...sounds like he's powering a converter with an inverter to charge other batteries on the tongue of a trailer? If so, why?

My RV furnace blower uses almost 12amps. If it runs 15 minutes an hour, over 10 hours, that's 120 amps or 1400 watt hours - which would be about 63% of your battery capacity. LED lights hardly use anything, most are like 5-7 watts.

If a 12V fridge is gas absorption the board only uses about a half an amp.

I replaced my 120V converter charger with a MeanWell smart charger on a switched outlet. It only gets used if we need a charge source from 120V, either plugged into shorepower or run the generator. Otherwise the house/coach runs on the LFP battery pack. I have solar charging and a dctodc charger when the engine runs.

I've tested all my 12V appliances so I know what they consume when they're running. My Xantrex 600W inverter hardly uses anything on standbye....okay went and looked it up and it's .6A.

Last edited:
Yes disconnect the converter. Don't forget the fridge and water to be set to propane only. Should be running all 12v from the lead-acid batteries. Any temporary 120v loads for the AC200MAX should be powered direct if the other power center items cannot be turned off. I would not spend money on an additional charger. Spend the money on solar instead.

Back