diy solar

diy solar

RV Solar upgrade time again

Isaac-1

I currently have 4 100 watt Grape Solar panels (installed 9 years ago) a Renogy DCC-50S MPPT / DC-DC charger (installed 18 months ago), feeding a pair of Rebel brand 200AH 12V LiFePo4 batteries.

As chance would have it, I have recently acquired some lightly used LG Neon 305 watt panels (circa 4 years old, removed 2 years ago from a storm damaged installation), and I am looking at installing 4 of these on my motorhome, possibly 5 of them if I can shoe horn them into fitting. Specs are VOC 40.1, ISC 9.93, VMPP 32.5

This leads to the big question, how do I handle the odd size strings for MPPT controller if I can fit 5 panels?

If I go with only 4, I am assuming a 2x2 layout, and needing a circa 80A MPPT controller, I am not sure of what brand as money is a factor, and I have several other major projects (house remodeling) going on. Any suggestion on something cheaper than Victron, that is not junk, should I go Renogy since I have one of their products now, and will likely keep using it for the DC-DC charger feature, something under $400 would be great.

thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

I currently have 4 100 watt Grape Solar panels (installed 9 years ago) a Renogy DCC-50S MPPT / DC-DC charger (installed 18 months ago), feeding a pair of Rebel brand 200AH 12V LiFePo4 batteries.

As chance would have it, I have recently acquired some lightly used LG Neon 305 watt panels (circa 4 years old, removed 2 years ago from a storm damaged installation), and I am looking at installing 4 of these on my motorhome, possibly 5 of them if I can shoe horn them into fitting. Specs are VOC 40.1, ISC 9.93, VMPP 32.5

This leads to the big question, how do I handle the odd size strings for MPPT controller if I can fit 5 panels?

If I go with only 4, I am assuming a 2x2 layout, and needing a circa 80A MPPT controller, I am not sure of what brand as money is a factor, and I have several other major projects (house remodeling) going on. Any suggestion on something cheaper than Victron, that is not junk, should I go Renogy since I have one of their products now, and will likely keep using it for the DC-DC charger feature, something under $400 would be great.

thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
You might also think about 2 40 amp units vrs a 80 amp might be cheaper and you will have some redundancy

Yes, it is 12V, I was not sure about peak cold voltage with 3 in a chain and if it would work, depending on the brand of controller

Being fairly short runs, I would wire them 5P. Parallel them on the roof. Run 6ga to SCC.
Alternatively get a 250V Victron but in your case i think 5P makes the most sense.

Back