diy solar

diy solar

Safety Check as I cross the finish line here.

Nonlin

Got all my panels mounted. Going to be wiring a copper wire between them to ground them.

But when it comes to the battery, it seems I need 1 * 4 AWG wire but I can't find that right now.

Can I safely use two 6AWG battery wires per pole instead?

I also have only one 70AMP fuse and it says max amps 71, is that an issue as well?

My plan currently is to wire up two 6AWG wires per pole attach them to the single 70 AMP fuse and then continue the wiring.

Also when it comes to Torque Value, what can I do to make sure I hit those values? Can I just hand tighten as much as I can?

Also I'm not sure how to ground a single EG4 LifePower4 battery as I don't have the rack because I just have one for now.

Also I'm attempting to secure the ground wire for the panels to my homes grounding rod, should I turn off the break box while I work on this?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-04 102108.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-04 102108.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Can I safely use two 6AWG battery wires per pole instead?

Yes, as long as the total current carrying capacity needed is met.

I also have only one 70AMP fuse and it says max amps 71, is that an issue as well?

Battery Fuse? What kind, what are your maximum load (what is the inverter rated at)?

Also when it comes to Torque Value, what can I do to make sure I hit those values? Can I just hand tighten as much as I can?

There are some cheap (and also expensive) torque wrenches that are available on the market. If you don't have those, use common sense: don't overdo, but make sure it's tight enough.

Also I'm not sure how to ground a single EG4 LifePower4 battery as I don't have the rack because I just have one for now.

Ground as in connect the chassis to the earth? Just connect all metal parts with appropriate size ground wire, and connect to a single point (your common ground). If your'e talking about bonding one of the poles of the battery to ground (either positive or negative) - don't.

I'm attempting to secure the ground wire for the panels to my homes grounding rod, should I turn off the break box while I work on this?

Always safest to turn everything off when working on electrical stuff.

Yes, as long as the total current carrying capacity needed is met.

Battery Fuse? What kind, what are your maximum load (what is the inverter rated at)?

There are some cheap (and also expensive) torque wrenches that are available on the market. If you don't have those, use common sense: don't overdo, but make sure it's tight enough.

Ground as in connect the chassis to the earth? Just connect all metal parts with appropriate size ground wire, and connect to a single point (your common ground). If your'e talking about bonding one of the poles of the battery to ground (either positive or negative) - don't.

Always safest to turn everything off when working on electrical stuff.
Thanks for this information. I ended up Contacting signature to get more information so I'm good on everything else so far.

Now I'm trying to understand if it's okay for me to directly burial my 6 gauge solid copper wire for my PV array or if I need to run it through conduit? Or in general if it's okay if that copper wire touches the earth in any way?

Plain copper should never be touching the earth. Whether you can directly bury the cable or not depends on the cable and local code.
What do you mean it should never touch Earth. isn't the whole point for copper to eventually touch Earth?

Back