diy solar

diy solar

San Francisco East Bay - Disaster relief and van electrical

HarryN

Solar Enthusiast
I have a one man off grid shop in Livermore, CA, near Livermore airport. This is on the East side of the SF Bay area.

Historically I have specialized in helping people with their conversion van electrical systems and solar.

Increasingly, I am involved with small back up power systems, such as:
- Taking refrigeration mostly off grid via hybrid solar / grid systems
- Natural disaster prep and relief to help people have power so that they can store food and light cooking.
- Emergency system preparations
- Ruggedized designs for vibration resistance and extended temperature range use.

- I do some volunteer work with disaster relief and the big hurricane in Puerto Rico inspired one of my products with a focus on that application. Over time it has improved / evolved to deal with requested changes and component availability / changes. It is on rev 3.1 if that tells you anything.

My youngest son is in community college and sometimes he helps out. He has been helping out for many years – much longer than you might expect for someone his age.

To the extent possible, I try to have customers use one of my pre-engineered designs, as I can build them in the shop and fully test them on one of my two test stands prior to them arriving with their van or trailer.

The internal components are mostly made in USA, a few from Canada / Mexico, and I am down to mostly just 1 or 2 items from the far east where there I have not been able to find an alternative supplier.

All of the components can be easily purchased on-line using the p/n on the item, so customers have full right of repair and can buy their own parts as needed in a long term way.

Any marine electrician in the world can do repairs / parts replacements, although this has been fairly rare since I use very good quality parts that are actually designed for mobile use or even more severe.

In addition to systems that I build, customer can “rent the shop for the day” and use the tools and my assistance to work on whatever they want together. This is how I handle custom requests – we work on it together at a fixed rate per day. (plus parts )

I will post a few photos of example projects that I have worked on with customers over the next few days.

Most systems are in the 1 – 4 kW, 120 vac range, plus the usual DC voltages for powering mobile items.

If someone needs a different voltage / frequency for their VAC, this is no problem. Just a slightly different inverter p/n.

Typically 24 volts for smaller systems, 48 volts for 2 kW and above.

All offerings are available with either AGM or LiFe batteries, depending on the project goals.

I am set up to help with local installations but also have power systems in multiple states that are freight delivered to the customer for self installation.

Last edited:
This is an example minimalist / rugged portable power system that I build.

I call it a 1 x 2 DR.
- The "1" = 1 kW continuous rated inverter
- The "2" = 2 kW-hr of battery capacity (nominal)
- DR = Disaster relief but I also use them for disaster preparation

Charging / Power input:
- 120 vac ~ 500 watts
- Solar charge controller > 600 watts

Output Power
- 120 vac, 10 amps, very low distortion sine wave form.
- USB for device charging

12 volt output
- 12 volts via anderson connectors for ham radio use
- 12 volt cigarette lighter to start a fire for emergency heating
- Switched

24 volt switched
- Optional single port 10 amps

Bi - directional power
- 24 volt x 60 amps
- For heavier 24 volt loads
- Connecting to external batteries
- External accessories.

Battery options
- Lifeline AGM for 4 season use
- Battle born LiFe for 3 season use

It is a great setup for home or off grid refrigeration . Most of the time, it can keep a conventional home refrigerator and light cooking - powered by solar alone. I also use it for making coffee and the 1400 watt microwave.

When it has been heavy overcast for extended periods, the grid or generator charging is a great supplement. It is a "hybrid".

Most power systems like this tend to operate the batteries at near their max discharge rate. This one is designed to operate closer to 1/2 of the battery continuous rating to enhance lifetime and performance.

Attachments

• 1 x 2 DP with solar panel 2022 DEC 23 compressed.jpg
    1 x 2 DP with solar panel 2022 DEC 23 compressed.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
One of my customers has a van and a trailer, with a power system in each one.

He lives FT in the van and uses the trailer for storage and a work shop.

He had V 1.0 of the system above for a few years and decided to reconfigure the trailer layout.

He wanted the power system to go under his fold down bench seat which is actually quite a tight location and the seat articulates as it folds - so it had to be designed to accommodate this.

His original use was going to be in cold weather, but now it is less likely so he switched to using battle born LiFe batteries.

It retains the individual components for inverter, 120 vac charger, and solar charger, 24 - 12 volt DC converter, battery SOC monitor, and a few changes for surface mounting vs panel mounting.

In order to protect the electronics from tools being dropped down from the work bench and other stuff, it has not only the main mounting board but also a "drip plate" board that comes out like an L bracket.

It is all mounted on a high end baltic birch and stained in black.

So I try to not build custom systems, but this has now become a standard item and has 90+% parts commonality with the 1 x 2 DR above.

He self installed 400 watts of solar on the trailer and that is what powers this.

Customer is doing the battery tie down and cover on his own to integrate with some other trailer mods.

Nearly all of the loads are 120 vac (circular saw, etc ), or 24 volts for lights / USB, and that one dumb 12 volt max fan.

Attachments

• 1 x 2 linear with batteries and bogart cropped 2022 DEC 24.jpg
    1 x 2 linear with batteries and bogart cropped 2022 DEC 24.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 1 x 2 linear in trailer from back cln 2022 DEC 29.jpg
    1 x 2 linear in trailer from back cln 2022 DEC 29.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back