diy solar

diy solar

scalability of LifePO4, an insane® battery pack.

and i think this is why the OP is very interested in getting fully off grid right now.
It certainly does worry me indeed and has been an extra motivation.
All in it’s gonna be +.23kwhr for customers
I am already at e0.26/KWh and I wonder what will happen soon as my variable KWh pricing is going to be adjusted.

20Kw Diesel Generator
Diesel I can't readily create myself so I am waiting for when hydrogen generators become available and I can produce my own hydrogen and store it.
The university of lueven in Belgium is experimenting with PV like panels that can produce 200L a day of hydrogen.
That will be a whole other thread if I'll ever get the feeling that technology is going somewhere tangible.

Yes we have a single phase granny charger as well that uses a regular wall socket connection to charge at like 2.5KW max. But Renault recomended against using that as it was not meant for daily use, only emergencies.
The one that told me was no technician though so it might be bullocks and if we can use that without any issues I think your tip has just made my mission a whole let less expensive.
It may be the supplied charger itself is not super robust, but getting a better charger (even 3rd party) would be a whole lot cheaper....

What about a Zappi? It can adjust charge rate based on how much excess solar PV is available (if the EV is at home during the day).

There must be half decent single phase charging options since not every home will have 3-phase supply.

Diesel I can't readily create myself so I am waiting for when hydrogen generators become available and I can produce my own hydrogen and store it.
The university of lueven in Belgium is experimenting with PV like panels that can produce 200L a day of hydrogen.
That will be a whole other thread if I'll ever get the feeling that technology is going somewhere tangible.

You can make hydrogen at home now. It's easy. It's just that hydrogen tends to burn with a vengeance and hard to contain. So home storage is not exactly safe.

What about a Zappi? It can adjust charge rate based on how much excess solar PV is available (if the EV is at home during the day).
We charge the EV at night, there is no way around it I am afraid. But I will certainly investigate regarding single phase charging as the way we use the EV is like daily short trips going from 100% to like 80% and 2 maybe 3 times a week from 100% to 50%. Honestly I do not remember the charging time at single phase speeds but I will for sure will put some focus on that soon enough and see if that can work

You can make hydrogen at home now. It's easy. It's just that hydrogen tends to burn with a vengeance and hard to contain. So home storage is not exactly safe.
lol, wanting a 380v battery pack is also not safe ;) yeah I need to get more knowledable before I get myself or someone else killed while trying to do the good thing.

for all the ones nearby enough of me please see

400v packs are the way to go.....I have used one for over a year now. The big ones are coming....https://twitter.com/PomCube/status/1433106389346488322

@Picasso thank you for the heads up. But what about the dangers involved (please remmeber I have a 3 year old probing anything she sees given half the chance) and where do I find a BMS and an inverter?

Truth be told though. I do still believe that if one is able to mitigate the issues for going large then going large is indeed better. If only because it is more dangerous ;)

I for one am not experienced yet to deal with more power and more danger so that is why I opted for 48 volts max

We charge the EV at night, there is no way around it I am afraid. But I will certainly investigate regarding single phase charging as the way we use the EV is like daily short trips going from 100% to like 80% and 2 maybe 3 times a week from 100% to 50%. Honestly I do not remember the charging time at single phase speeds but I will for sure will put some focus on that soon enough and see if that can work
I have been researching wether or not charing my renault zoe with a single phase 2.4KW charger (standard power socket) is advised against.
I have not found anything yet so I am asuuming that the dude from renault, that told me it should only be for emergencies, was misinformed.

So now all of a sudden this insance battery pack does not have to be so insane anymore as a11KW continues load of seems to be off the table for now.

That is not to say that now we can relax and make a standard pack. Not at all. This pack needs to be able to supply a full electric kitchen with modern high power devices, a heat pump, some servers with one that can draw 1.6KW and of course the general house hold stuff one can think of + the ones we forgot about we are running and need

But if say it is parked overnight and can be charging for 8 hours, then it only needs to be charging at 22kWh / 8 hours = 2.75kW (on the AC side). And if the EV battery has not been fully discharged and is instead only needing 10kWh of recharge, then over 8 hours it only needs to be charged at 1.25kW.
Yes indeed, you are indeed real sensible regarding that.
I came from believing that I could only charge that EV at 11KW at home. Now I no longer do

It may be the supplied charger itself is not super robust, but getting a better charger (even 3rd party) would be a whole lot cheaper....
early Renault Zoe soft/firm/hard-ware is notorious for being very particular. THe lisghtest difiation from what it wants and one can't charge.
For example, renault came by with a new version of the zoe to my garage and tried to charge on my 11kw, did not work.
for example, only like 30% of the public chargers in urban settings (I am not refring to the fast chargers to be found at highways in our area) work reliably with my car.

I wil go out on a limb and just assume this official renault zoe granny single phase charger is just fine to use all the time

@brandnewb Aim to keep PACK intact, AKA get a Tesla Y or 3 pack and never have to open it. Most of the toys in the battery penthouse can be controlled now. Find a suitable HVDC inverter. I am working to this goal. My current system is an off the shelf 400v dc system from pomcube.com.

@brandnewb Aim to keep PACK intact, AKA get a Tesla Y or 3 pack and never have to open it. Most of the toys in the battery penthouse can be controlled now. Find a suitable HVDC inverter. I am working to this goal. My current system is an off the shelf 400v dc system from pomcube.com.
:) I am still decoding what you said there ;)

Anyway boys and girls. Time for some theory.

Let's assume there is no law against having more than 48 volts (in NL apparently) of battery packs and also lets assume there is no danger what so ever involved with going larger.

What would be the reason to stay at 48 volts and not go full out in such a scenario?

Anyway boys and girls. Time for some theory.

Let's assume there is no law against having more than 48 volts (in NL apparently) of battery packs and also lets assume there is no danger what so ever involved with going larger.

What would be the reason to stay at 48 volts and not go full out in such a scenario?

First of all : inverter. For 48V you can find a lot of different inverters (including all-in-ones with MPPT and charger).

I did find a 3 phase inverter though with all the EU credentials and a standard 10 years of warranty that seem to not accept any less than 106v battery
Sure it is a Chinese brand with many aliexzpress counterfeit crap. But they do seem legit from the sources I am looking at.
Even a well known professional dealer sells them.

Can one think of additional reasons not to go 48V+?

Back