diy solar

diy solar

Schneider 4048 output voltage too high?

Cercocarpus

Hi all,

New member, long time off-grid solar installer and electrician. I searched everywhere but could not find this issue addressed anywhere in the forums or elsewhere online. Hoping someone might have some insight. I’ve dealt with Schneider tech support before and, yeah, would rather not go there just yet.

I hooked up a Schneider SW 4048 on my mom’s house today. There’s a 170 foot run from the inverter in our barn to the sub-panel at her cabin and I upsized all the wiring for voltage drop accordingly (#6 on L1, L2, N, and G). Much to my surprise the resting line voltage inside the cabin was a whopping 128.5v. L1 to L2 at the house sub reads 256v and change.

I measured at the inverter and it was basically the same. I turned on some simultaneous loads at the house (probably 10a m/l all together) and things dipped just a hair (read on nearby outlets) to about 128.2. I don’t have any ready way to measure the actual delivered voltage under load on the fridge or fans or any of the loads I tried.

I tried two different reliable Fluke meters to confirm the reading. Not really sure if I am seeing a problem here or worrying over nothing. But I will say that is the highest resting voltage I can ever recall seeing on a new install. Or coming off the grid for the matter. On the other hand, I don’t usually pay that much attention but was just curious how much voltage drop I was dealing with as it was a major issue on the old system, which was from the grid on scary small wires.

Problem? Ignorance on my part? Anything adjustable on the 4048 to tune in better? Just forget about it? Anyone else ever dealt with this? Doesn’t seem like enough to frazzle motors (5% over 122v) but it just bugs me.

Any insight gratefully appreciated.

I don't have an answer for this, but I will say, my duel 6848's have given me a couple issues. There was a firmware that, when paralleled, produced 45HZ instead of 60. This is apples and oranges to your problem, I had to search to find out that it was a known problem with a certain firmware. Perhaps a similar situation. Wish I could be more help, just know... a poor firmware produced incorrect output previously.

That’s good to know. It occurred to me to check that the hz here was correct but didn’t get to. It does seem these units are particularly susceptible to firmware fritzing. Do I need a patch cable or something to update? Never done it.

Do I need a patch cable or something to update? Never done it.
Here is a link to the firmware download from the Schneider website. There are different versions, make sure to select the 4048 version.

I don't remember the exact procedure to reload firmware but I believe it depends on if have the Gateway or the SCP or neither.

The 6848 does have the ability to adjust the output voltage. I don’t remember how but I was in a thread a guy contacted technical support a walked him through turning his up.

That’s good to know. It occurred to me to check that the hz here was correct but didn’t get to. It does seem these units are particularly susceptible to firmware fritzing. Do I need a patch cable or something to update? Never done it.
Have to have the combox or gateway. You do need extra equipment.

Hi all,

New member, long time off-grid solar installer and electrician. I searched everywhere but could not find this issue addressed anywhere in the forums or elsewhere online. Hoping someone might have some insight. I’ve dealt with Schneider tech support before and, yeah, would rather not go there just yet.

I hooked up a Schneider SW 4048 on my mom’s house today. There’s a 170 foot run from the inverter in our barn to the sub-panel at her cabin and I upsized all the wiring for voltage drop accordingly (#6 on L1, L2, N, and G). Much to my surprise the resting line voltage inside the cabin was a whopping 128.5v. L1 to L2 at the house sub reads 256v and change.

I measured at the inverter and it was basically the same. I turned on some simultaneous loads at the house (probably 10a m/l all together) and things dipped just a hair (read on nearby outlets) to about 128.2. I don’t have any ready way to measure the actual delivered voltage under load on the fridge or fans or any of the loads I tried.

I tried two different reliable Fluke meters to confirm the reading. Not really sure if I am seeing a problem here or worrying over nothing. But I will say that is the highest resting voltage I can ever recall seeing on a new install. Or coming off the grid for the matter. On the other hand, I don’t usually pay that much attention but was just curious how much voltage drop I was dealing with as it was a major issue on the old system, which was from the grid on scary small wires.

Problem? Ignorance on my part? Anything adjustable on the 4048 to tune in better? Just forget about it? Anyone else ever dealt with this? Doesn’t seem like enough to frazzle motors (5% over 122v) but it just bugs me.

Any insight gratefully appreciated.
Did you ever figure out how to adjust the voltage on your SW4048? I am dealing with a similar issue.

In the advanced settings of the XW+ on Insighthome there is a section called AC Calibration that is password protected. I would like to get into it as well but I don't have the password.

Back