diy solar

diy solar

Schneider Charging from Grid. Why?

Darcy Costa Rica

Hello,

I am hoping some Schneider Conext XW Pro experts can help me with a problem.

Short summary: I have an XW Pro connected to the grid, and it is primarily a battery charger. I have two other XW Pros supplying power from batteries. I have EG4-LL batteries and BMS communication is working.

The Charger XW Pro is charging at night and I cannot figure out why. Here is the nighttime battery chart:

1687952557500.png

It started charging at 12:19 am:

1687952621530.png
It stopped when the batteries were at 50% charge. This parameter I understand. The High SOC Cutout is set to 50%. It happened again at 2:47 am.

1687952701837.png

I think it is starting the charge because of two possible reasons: the SOC touches 45% or maybe the battery voltage drops to 52.4V.

These numbers are nowhere in the inverter settings.

1687952854637.png

1687952896154.png

I have seen some really good comments from Schneider experts. This has me baffled. What am I missing? Also, these are the Charge Controller settings.

1687953021813.png

The Charge Controller MPPT 100 600 seems to have no communication with the BMS. I am surprised there is no setting for Li-on batteries.

1687953106861.png

I appologise for the long post, but hopefully some wizard can scan my settings and point out any obvious errors.

I just want to understand your system first. You have 3 XW Pro's?
One is connected to the grid to function as a charger only?
Two are connected to your loads?
Odd choice, but ok. Should work fine.
Do you have all 3 connected on the same Xanbus?
The MPPT doesn't (yet?) support BMS communication, so not having SOC options is to be expected. I don't know when to expect that update from Schneider.

The XW will start a charge cycle any time grid power is restored. Any chance there was an outage around those times? It should show up in the error logs.

I just want to understand your system first. You have 3 XW Pro's?
One is connected to the grid to function as a charger only?
Two are connected to your loads?
Odd choice, but ok. Should work fine.
Do you have all 3 connected on the same Xanbus?
The MPPT doesn't (yet?) support BMS communication, so not having SOC options is to be expected. I don't know when to expect that update from Schneider.

The XW will start a charge cycle any time grid power is restored. Any chance there was an outage around those times? It should show up in the error logs.
Hi, thank you for the reply.

Yes, it is not a standard setup, but I am in Costa Rica. The power is like nothing else I have ever seen. Appliances die regularly. Power blips are multiple times per day. Outages can be daily. So, I save one inverter as a charger/backup.

The other two inverters are not connected to the grid. I do not want the power company to damage them. If the sun does not shine and I needd to top up the batteries, I use the XW connected to the grid.

When I look in the logs there is almost no information. I cannot figure out how to get all events out of an XW Pro. All I see when I switch to the log page is this:

1687966277662.png
Why does it only display SCB?

Is there a toggle somewhere to turn on logging for the inverters that I missed?

Hi, thank you for the reply.

Yes, it is not a standard setup, but I am in Costa Rica. The power is like nothing else I have ever seen. Appliances die regularly. Power blips are multiple times per day. Outages can be daily. So, I save one inverter as a charger/backup.

The other two inverters are not connected to the grid. I do not want the power company to damage them. If the sun does not shine and I needd to top up the batteries, I use the XW connected to the grid.
Now that makes a lot more sense.
When I look in the logs there is almost no information. I cannot figure out how to get all events out of an XW Pro. All I see when I switch to the log page is this:

Why does it only display SCB?

Is there a toggle somewhere to turn on logging for the inverters that I missed?
I think you are looking in the wrong section, I said logs, but that clearly wasn't accurate, my mistake.
I just took this screen shot, but you would want "historical" on the left.
On my firmware version, I need to cycle power to the Insight for the historical section to populate with all the historical events. That might be worth a try if you don't see anything.
1687969340039.png

Hi, I looked at the Events and I see nothing happened to the Grid power last night. I'm still puzzled as to why it started the charge cycle twice last night.

Hi, I looked at the Events and I see nothing happened to the Grid power last night. I'm still puzzled as to why it started the charge cycle twice last night.
Did you try power cycling the Insight? I don't remember which firmware I'm on, but I won't see anything until I power cycle the Insight, then it will populate any historical faults from before the power cycle.

The XWPro will start a charge cycle every time the grid goes down and comes back up. From the looks of it the power went out twice that night.

Back