diy solar

diy solar

Schneider Conext XW Pro 6848

Thanks for the help. I am looking for a backup plan if my Victron gear doesn't pass inspection.

I was wondering, there is not a way to just connect your computer to this and make setting changes with some program? Does there have to be an additional interface? I want to get a XW Pro 6848 but i dont have lots of cash to buy an additional box for communication to make the XW Pro 6848 work...

I was wondering, there is not a way to just connect your computer to this and make setting changes with some program? Does there have to be an additional interface? I want to get a XW Pro 6848 but i dont have lots of cash to buy an additional box for communication to make the XW Pro 6848 work...
What do you want the inverter to do? If you are going to run it off grid, it will work right out of the box. The base default settings will run. But if you want any of the advanced functions, then you need an Insight Home box. The box is listed on Amazon for $440.51 USD right now.

no grid, just batteries.
I will be using separate charge controllers to charge the batteries from PV.
Will it still plug and play basically?

Last edited:
no grid, just batteries.
I will be using separate charge controllers to charge the batteries from PV
Then it should run just fine out of the box. Take a look at David Poz's videos.
He has done a few more after this as well. He did end up adding an Insight Home later.

I am going to get one of these units. They look like something that will handle my 2ton geothermal heater.
That they made communication more of an issue than I feel it needed to be, just another day in my life.

I am going to get one of these units. They look like something that will handle my 2ton geothermal heater.
That they made communication more of an issue than I feel it needed to be, just another day in my life.
have you the SCP?

my apoligies, i forget what SCP is
An old discontinued control panel for the inverter and other components of the system (inverter, MPPT, any Schneider gear in the system)

It does not support all the options on newer firmwares/inverters and availability is questionable if you find old stock or something on eBay.

Overall, just buy the insight and access your settings with a phone or laptop.

1682555128577.png

Seems that every month or two when I try tweaking a setting in the xw6848, I end up in trouble. For instance just tried adjusting float voltage setting from 57.75 to 57.5v. (I have 17 cells) System then proceeded to discharge battery bank from 85% to 72% over then next hour. If I rebooted the box it recovered and no issue.
It's like something corrupts internally and a reboot is needed to properly recover.
Anyone else observe this type of behavior ?
I have seen this on the tree Outback Mojave.

Following up on this thread, but with a different perspective. I have three working 6848xw+ (manuf, nov 2015 and Jan 2016), a schneider power dist. panel with all breakers, and an mppt 60/150 charge controller; all working, currently in use. I want to sell them and have listed in multiple spots (including the forums here). I know that I paid an outrageous amount when new, they work fine, but what is a reasonable asking price for this entire setup? Value is a tough thing to figure out in the used solar market--I don't want to overcharge but would like to use the cash to buy other equipment I want. I'd appreciate any feedback.

I believe you posted this on a different thread the other day, did you not receive any serious inquiries? That's a nice set up, I've had great success with a single XW+ manufactured at about the same time.

That said, everything has a limited lifetime, the inverters are 9 years old and from Schneider's perspective they are obsolete now that the PRO model supersedes it. Meaning its probably difficult if not impossible to replace the PCB. Certain types of simple board level repairs could possibly be made by a good technician but it depends on the issue.

If I were considering purchasing the entire lot I would assume 2 of the 3 inverters have 5 to 10 years left and 1 inverter may fail soon and would be kept for spare parts. The PDP doesn't wear out, and unless the breakers were abused are all fine as well.

I'd offer $2,500 for all 3 inverters, Charge Controller is the 150V model which has limited versatility, $250. The PDP lets say $750. That adds up to a total of $3,500. I have no idea what kind of number you have in mind. Opinions were solicited and the above is based on a realistic assessment of risk vs. savings for a solar project I'm actually considering on a rental house in Morongo Valley.

Hello everyone, I would like to use Modbus to control the XW Pro 6848 to output or input the power values I calculate. However, I couldn't find corresponding registers on the Modbus Map to input the calculated charging or discharging power.
Modbus Map version 990-91343CAug 10, 2021.

Equipment list:
- Schneider XW Pro 6848
- Schneider MPPT 60 100
- Schneider InsightHome
- 2.4KW battery

That modbus map number doesn't look familiar. The list we have all start with 503-.

In any case, most all of the modbus registers that hold Voltage, Amperage, Power data Etc. are Read Only. So there would be no way to Write new, calculated values to those registers even if you knew the address. The only rw registers are the ones associated with user set up menu values such as Recharge Volts, Bulk Chg Voltage, Max Chg Amps, Force Charge Etc. Etc.

Hello everyone, I would like to use Modbus to control the XW Pro 6848 to output or input the power values I calculate. However, I couldn't find corresponding registers on the Modbus Map to input the calculated charging or discharging power.
Modbus Map version 990-91343CAug 10, 2021.

Equipment list:
- Schneider XW Pro 6848
- Schneider MPPT 60 100
- Schneider InsightHome
- 2.4KW battery
I'd make sure you are looking at the modbus map found here:

When you unzip it, there will be maps for many schnieder devices, including the XW platform. As bently said, 990-* doesn't look familiar to me.

I'd make sure you are looking at the modbus map found here:

When you unzip it, there will be maps for many schnieder devices, including the XW platform. As bently said, 990-* doesn't look familiar to me.
We have a same Modbus Map ,I have a project that needs to use Python to develop a program to control the input and output power, because I want to smooth solar energy. Is there any other way to solve it?

Back