diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XWPro Firmware Upgrade Version 2.04.00

Yikes, I'm off to update at least the Insight tonight.
Gosh, I'm sorry I had not been too busy to see your reply until now so I could point out from the release notes:
Known Limitations
  • Analog and Digital I/O is not supported
  • After downgrading an XW device, the gateway must be restarted
  • Upgrading from v1.07 and earlier to v1.08 and later will cause the cloud to be disabled, requiring the user to re-enable the cloud via the Web UI
  • The gateway does not have a web server trusted root certificate
  • PDF Generation does not work correctly in Internet Explorer
  • Temperature will not be shown in Battery Summary page if only MPPT device installed BTS (Battery Temperature Sensor).
  • For XW+, upgrade Gateway firmware to v1.17 is not recommended
  • It is recommended to upgrade Gateway firmware v1.17 along with XW Pro 6848 v2.04 and XW Pro 8548 v2.06
Sadly they just issued a statement to cover their butts and let you proceed "at your own risk" rather than listing specific incompatibilities.
If you should find you then also want to try v2.04 on the XW-Pro, keep track of my post in #14 above, because I vaguely recall from about 14 months ago, after scratching my head, I finally got lucky and found disabling EPC is all that was required to get variable charging via Modbus to work again.
Does that mean you tried the export/upload function and it does not transfer settings to the attached inverters, MPPT, etc?
No, I guess after I read p.42 as described up in #17, I just could not imagine they would not have such a huge feature of config backup of all Schneider Xanbus devices without much more (even marketing) fanfare.

Today I went back and reviewed that entire Owners Guide, and also the XW-Pro pdf's.

Look at how they breakup that Gateway/Insight GUI. "Setup" is only about things related to the Gateway itself. All of the related pdf's discuss the ability for the Gateway to make config changes and export/import to itself under that Setup tab.

They then separately discuss making config changes to the managed devices under the "Devices" tab. For those they give BIG warnings about making those device changes only in "standby" mode.

If the export/import under "Setup" was affecting the managed XW-Pro configurations, I am sure they would have had the same warnings.

Even if they implement that all-devices feature some day, in my opinion, it would have to be very much more complex. It would be much easier if they just offered export/import under Devices for each device, which they do not. :/

Last edited:
Well, I lied and didn't yet update the Insight. I guess I'll figure out when I can update the XW along with the insight and test out the Modbus comms and features that are pertinent to my use. Bummer, but I've got to do it. Thank you for pointing it out.

I'll try to export and import settings as part of that process just to see if it does settings on the XW.

Well, I lied and didn't yet update the Insight. I guess I'll figure out when I can update the XW along with the insight and test out the Modbus comms and features that are pertinent to my use. Bummer, but I've got to do it. Thank you for pointing it out.

I'll try to export and import settings as part of that process just to see if it does settings on the XW.
That sounds like a good plan. As I pursue the Gateway WiFi bug with Schneider, I will update here on my firmware experiences, and probably open a separate thread for that bug. (I say probably because there is an older thread with lots of people having WiFi performance issues, and I bet this bug was the underlying cause.)

One thing you might consider is that apparently going between 1.11.00 build 28 and 1.11.01 build 49 (for either you or me) did not seem to have any unexpected "change the config settings" issues of 2.04.00. You might therefore find it less painful to re-try 1.11.01 build 49, check that EPC is disabled, and then run your modbus management tests. If that were to work, you would then have fewer quirks to deal with on the new 2.04.00.

Gosh, these computers make our lives soooo much easier ... ;)

Updated my Insight v1.17 Build 079 [23 Feb 2023]
Inverters are running 1.11.01bn49
Noticed a new thing in the inverter advanced config:
Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 08.19.06.png
Not ever going to try that, I will continue to use the HW config tool, and PC application for calibration!

Also noticed that 1.17 thinks all the MPPT 100-600 charge controllers are disabled.
Except that they are working fine..........

Updated my Insight v1.17 Build 079 [23 Feb 2023]
Inverters are running 1.11.01bn49
Noticed a new thing in the inverter advanced config:
View attachment 156943
Not ever going to try that, I will continue to use the HW config tool, and PC application for calibration!

Also noticed that 1.17 thinks all the MPPT 100-600 charge controllers are disabled.
Except that they are working fine..........
I recall last year after starting a Gateway/Insight firmware update, initiated from the GUI on a PC, it sat for several minutes until the browser said it lost the connection. Started a continuous ping from the PC until it finally started to reply ... Nothing really abnormal about that. OK, so then opened a new browser window, logged in, noted that the version indeed was the desired new one. But then found under devices, one of the XW-Pros was grayed out, as though it was physically disconnected. At about the same time I read the last firmware update step in the Owner's Guide that said something like "When prompted, reboot the Gateway". But I did not see such a prompt (due to communication loss ???). So just rebooted at that point. Afterwards both XW-Pros appeared and were accessible with no further trouble.

It really doesn't make much sense that if the firmware update requires a reboot (like to re-itemize the attached devices with the new firmware) , why doesn't the process just DO IT ?

Is it possible pvdude that your Insight still needs a reboot before it sees the other devices on its Xanbus with the correct status? And for that matter, I'm curious, under the Devices tab, does it let you choose the MPPT 100-600 and read through its config, simply showing a "disabled" status, or is it grayed out like my XW-Pro was?

your Insight still needs a reboot
The final prompt after the 1.17 install completed was "restart", so I did that.
I could access the MPPT 100-600's fine, just noticed that they were all "disabled" status, but charging the batteries anyway.
I just put them in"standby", one at a time, changed the configuration to "enabled", then back to operating mode, all abby-normal now.

I just put them in"standby", one at a time, changed the configuration to "enabled", then back to operating mode, all abby-normal now.
Abby-normal should be OK ... as long as you don't flip The Third Switch !!! :eek:

Hi....A few days ago I did a firmware upgrade to my XWPro 6848 from version 1.03 to version 1.11 through insight home. Everything seems to be working fine except that the lights that indicate the battery charge on the inverter panel stayed off... I have no idea how to turn them back on... someone who has had the same experience and can help me. ..thank you

Attachments

• panel ligths.JPG
    panel ligths.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 4
the lights that indicate the battery charge on the inverter panel stayed off
Mine did that too, also seem to recall that the power on/off button only would do "off", not "on" after the upgrade.
I think Schneider tech support told me to use the Insight gateway to control operation, instead of the front panel.
They had no ideas about the battery charge level LED's becoming inert.

I use the Conext Battery Monitor for battery information, so the loss of front panel
LED's was just an inconvenience.

Last edited:
I put the latest V2.04_BN0029 on my XW Pro without any issue so I can tell you that it does work
I installed it and I had some problems, the LEDs on the XW Pro panel no longer show the battery percentage and when the grid goes out the red LED no longer lights up indicating the event, not even in the SCP... frustrating

I installed it and I had some problems, the LEDs on the XW Pro panel no longer show the battery percentage and when the grid goes out the red LED no longer lights up indicating the event, not even in the SCP... frustrating
So I had an issue with the SOC reading not being in correct calibration to voltage so I thought I should update to the latest firmware again before calling tech support and you can see what happened when my invertor fired back up after the 2.04 update. It immediately started selling 120 amps and even when I disabled sell in the configuration it wouldn't stop so I put it standby and turned off sell and the second current draw on the graph is what happened with sell disabled. I did verify that all of my settings were the same as before the firmware update. I did have grid support turned on but sell was set to zero for both tries. I'll report back when I get the energy to sort through this but for now I've just reverted back to the previous firmware again.
chart.png

I have been off trying to contact Schneider Solar Tech support for the last few days. It sounds like they have been installing new phone switch voice mail as well as upgrading their case/problem management system. If you have been trying to call them and just got cut off, I found it was finally working and I was able to talk to a person earlier this afternoon.

In reference to firmware as we discussed earlier in this thread, the v1.17 for Gateway/Insight is somewhat tied to the 2.04 for XW-Pro.

Well if you have also followed the Schneider downloads pages, you may have caught there being a v1.18 for Gateway/Insight. In the release notes under Known Issues:

A few trial sites with InsightHome found Wi-Fi signal lost after upgrade to v1.18. Waiting for 5 minutes to let the signal comes back resolved this issue alternately a factory reset will also resolve this issue.

But it seems they decided that is a big enough issue, and now have removed v1.18 from the list of downloads..

InsightLocal has newer firmware v1.18 BN 33. date 7 jul 2023

UPDATE: DO NOT USE v1.18 BN 33 - USE BN 41

It is in preparation for the forthcoming 2.10 XW Pro Firmware

also a week old XW Pro Troubleshooting video 12 jul 2023 some good points by Eric Bentsen

some info on various upcoming firmware features

Last edited:
InsightLocal has newer firmware v1.18 BN 33. date 7 jul 2023

It is in preparation for the forthcoming 2.10 XW Pro Firmware

A few years ago, they announced the physical box called Conext Gateway, mostly with the idea of managing the XW-Pros & MPPTs . Then came the push for all manufacturers (not just solar) to make "big" money by doing cloud data mining (and selling) of customer data, so Insight became Schneider's buzzword. So the Conext Gateway became the InsightFacility ... Same box / hardware, same price ... Except gosh, they left out the handy universal plug AC power pack. Now, since prices went up on everything, they built a stripped down version, with essentially fewer interface sockets & chips, so they can sell it for less, they named that InsightHome .

The processor in all 3 is the same (possibly a lower clock speed on -Home) and runs the same firmware.

The downloads page I always used is
InsightHome and InsightFacility Edge Devices

Under downloads / firmware, there used to be v1.18 . I still show a v1.16 & v1.17 but now I just get a dead unnamed link for the third download button. When I talked to them on the phone this afternoon, we didn't have the greatest voice line, but it sounded like he said they pulled that version due to communication issues. (???)

A few years ago, they announced the physical box called Conext Gateway, mostly with the idea of managing the XW-Pros & MPPTs . Then came the push for all manufacturers (not just solar) to make "big" money by doing cloud data mining (and selling) of customer data, so Insight became Schneider's buzzword. So the Conext Gateway became the InsightFacility ... Same box / hardware, same price ... Except gosh, they left out the handy universal plug AC power pack. Now, since prices went up on everything, they built a stripped down version, with essentially fewer interface sockets & chips, so they can sell it for less, they named that InsightHome .

The processor in all 3 is the same (possibly a lower clock speed on -Home) and runs the same firmware.

The downloads page I always used is
InsightHome and InsightFacility Edge Devices

Under downloads / firmware, there used to be v1.18 . I still show a v1.16 & v1.17 but now I just get a dead unnamed link for the third download button. When I talked to them on the phone this afternoon, we didn't have the greatest voice line, but it sounded like he said they pulled that version due to communication issues. (???)

interesting, thanks. Running okay on my plant

I am starting to feel they don't keep firmware with just one point of control. Here is a different current link:
Conext Gateway/InsightHome and Insight Facility Firmware v1.18

...and that seems to indicate it is OK and available.

In my opinion, keeping inconsistent pages active is just going to create confusion and eventually bite them in the behind.
I tried loading that download for v1.18 last night and it says its not a valid package when I tried to load it into insight home.

Back